Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to a single pin sight

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to a single pin sight

Postby Dorobuta » 10 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So I have moved from a fixed 5 pin sight to a single pin sight (Black Gold Ascent Verdict). This is the very first single pin sight I have ever used.
After getting it dialed in with the correct(est) tape, I've started working on my strategies for using it.

I'm not a tree stand hunter, I'm a spot and stalk hunter, like many in the west. This has forced me to examine how I conduct a spot and stalk. I can no longer simply guess the range, and select the correct pin on a shot of opportunity. I only have one pin and it is set for whatever distance I put it on.

So, I have been putting my pin on 35 yds, and shooting at a variety of distances, from 20 to 40, noting where the arrow hits. This appears to be adequate for a good lung shot. My theory being if the shot is longer than 40, I should have sufficient time to range and adjust the sight to the actual range. This is the same as determining the MPBR for a hunting rifle. I have about an 8" window, from 4" high to 4" low of the point of aim.

Thoughts? concerns? is this a good approach?
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Re: New to a single pin sight

Postby ishy » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

So I use multiple pins, but you sound right on from others I've talked to that shoot a single pin.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby six » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Yup. I set my slider on 30 aim high at 40 and low at 20. If the elk is 50 I should have time to adjust.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby olympushunt » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

From my observation, the guys who do the single pin deal have a few things in common. 1) They are built like a brick ____ house (exhibit A, look at the biceps on Six!!!) and they shoot fairly stout poundage bows. Those bows squirt out arrows in the 300fps+ category. 2) They practice....a lot!
I have often wanted to do the single pin thing. I even own a fairly spendy single pin sight. I love how small the pin is and for target practice I get quite comfortable shooting at 80+ yards with it. But for hunting season....it comes off. I don't shoot a fast bow. Swede blessed me with a 26.5 inch draw also. lol :lol: Some times shooting out at 80 I find it helpful to walk up to my arrow mid flight, grab a hold of her and reshoot it. So for me I think hunting with a single pin sight isn't the best plan unless I limited my distance to under 40....maybe even under 30 as there is quite a difference on my bow from 20 to 40. For me the advantage of accuracy with a single pin....doesn't merit the potential bad outcomes. I think there are quite a few situations the animal will shift positions in about 2 milliseconds from 40 to 60....or 55 to 30....and the multipin set up shines. Also, I just don't see the multipin sight being that inferior to the single pin in the accuracy department.
I do think Dorobuta you have the right idea though!!!
olympushunt

Postby Dorobuta » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I'm shooting a fairly fast bow (Reign 6), but I have a relatively short DL (26.5), and a heavy-ish arrow (420 gr)
this puts me knocking at 300, right around 285-ish, if I've done my math right, and the tapes seem to bear this out.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta