Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Boot Repair

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Boot Repair

Postby Indian Summer » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Two years ago the toe cap on my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes started to peel off. Last year the problem progressed down to the front of the sole. Anyone who owns Kenes knows they take a long time to break in. Mine are really comfortable now and since they never see concrete they have lots of tread left. That along with the fact that they are $360 boots had me bummed out so I decided to try and repair them. To reglue the sole I used an adhesive called Freesole. First I cleaned the rubber and wiped it down with acetone. Applied plenty of glue and used electrical tape to pull everything tight. The stretch of the tape works better than non stretch tapes like duct tape. The next morning I removed the tape and WOW! Solid as a rock. For added insurance and to prevent future problems I also applied a product called Tuff Toe. It was really easy to apply and creates a thick fairly hard rubber toe cap. They came out awesome. I'm really happy to have added new life to my boots. In the future I intend to put the Tuff Toe on new boots to preserve the toe which takes lots of abuse and to make that part of the boot completely waterproof. Thought I'd pass this on to anyone else interested in prolonging the life of their elk hunting boots which is one of the most important pueces of gear we have.

After letting the Tuff Toe dry for about a half hour I rubbed it with my hands and it got rid of the gloss giving them a nice dull flat finish that matched the rest of the rubber. Perfect!
Attachments
IMG_2170.JPG
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Boot Repair

Postby Elkduds » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Great technique, Joe. Hope to see a report on how well the repair holds up.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Kellum » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Interesting i will need to try this. Thanks for sharing joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kellum

Postby Indian Summer » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I leave for Wyoming this Saturday to inflict 2 weeks of abuse on them Elkduds so Ill let you know. But I can already tell you the report will be 2 thumbs up. I work with people who have the Tuff Toe on their work boots and the stuff is tough as nails. Before putting it on I pried on the soles and was amazed at the bond the Freesole glue created. I honestly believe the boots are better than new. Stay tuned.....
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Beendare » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I like that idea!

I've applied "Shoe Goo" on the toes of boots/running shoes before...it works too. as you mentioned prep is key.
___
Along those lines i found a pretty slick solution to my inevitable leaky mesh boots. i've never found a mnfr of these mesh panel boots that has stayed waterproof for longer than 2 yrs....sometimes less. I talked to the Cabelas boot buyer years ago and he said as much- the GT liner wears out in the 1-2 yr range, YMMV. Full leather boots are easier to maintain since the silicone treatments last longer on these.

The mesh boots i've owned just leak at the 1 to 3 year mark- it sucks.

This year I mixed up some seam sealer solution; 100% silicone [the bathroom sealer stuff] and diluted it with mineral spirits to seam seal my homemade tipi and while i was at it did the bottom 2/3rd of my mesh boots- the Soloman GTX's that were leaking through. I think the key is a clean boot [no sno seal or dirt] and mix the sealer to the consistency of Veg oil so it penetrates. Take the laces off of course.

So far 3 weeks of pushing wet brush in Alaska...and elk hunting in snow in MT---- no leakie...and no more sweat buildup than what they normally get when new. It has given new life to boots i like.....
Attachments
boot seal.jpg
boot seal.jpg (184.35 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Nice! I'm gonna try these boot "tune up" methods on an old pair of Danners I have.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I do not know where you got the Freesole, but I will try it. I hate wet feet and sloppy boots.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Gonna try the silicone on my Danners. They've started to dampen up on creek crossings.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:Two years ago the toe cap on my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes started to peel off. Last year the problem progressed down to the front of the sole. Anyone who owns Kenes knows they take a long time to break in. Mine are really comfortable now and since they never see concrete they have lots of tread left. That along with the fact that they are $360 boots had me bummed out so I decided to try and repair them. To reglue the sole I used an adhesive called Freesole. First I cleaned the rubber and wiped it down with acetone. Applied plenty of glue and used electrical tape to pull everything tight. The stretch of the tape works better than non stretch tapes like duct tape. The next morning I removed the tape and WOW! Solid as a rock. For added insurance and to prevent future problems I also applied a product called Tuff Toe. It was really easy to apply and creates a thick fairly hard rubber toe cap. They came out awesome. I'm really happy to have added new life to my boots. In the future I intend to put the Tuff Toe on new boots to preserve the toe which takes lots of abuse and to make that part of the boot completely waterproof. Thought I'd pass this on to anyone else interested in prolonging the life of their elk hunting boots which is one of the most important pueces of gear we have.

After letting the Tuff Toe dry for about a half hour I rubbed it with my hands and it got rid of the gloss giving them a nice dull flat finish that matched the rest of the rubber. Perfect!
Put some rienstones on them and we'll start calling you twinkle toes! :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

great call as Kennetrek Mountain Extremes are now up to 475.00
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.