Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear/Equipment Reports 2017

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear/Equipment Reports 2017

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I know we're still out hunting but wanted to get this going. What gear/equipment worked well for you this year (yay!) and what not so well (boo!). Guns, bows, packs, tents, game bags, bladders, boots, clothes, electronics, misc camp gear, .. you get the picture.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Gear/Equipment Reports 2017

Postby Roosiebull » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I had no gear mishaps this year, some loggers got my caribou bags as I dropped them that morning, I decided to grab them on my way out, but some loggers were driving around hunting as well....we were the only ones parked there, it rained the night before and the bags were obviously dry...so they didn't care to get them back to the owner ;) oh well, they worked well once.

the only thing really different this year was going from a kuiu to horn hunter pack. the horn hunter feels way better with weight in it, it did very well and it way tougher. everything else was at least on year 2, and was still working last time I used it :)

got another 1/2 dry season out of my danner mtn600 boots, so that makes a year and a half, which is pretty dang good. they still are in good shape, but leak a little, will get another pair before next season for morning hunts, use my old ones in the afternoon while it's dry.
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 10 26, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Two clothing items this year
Kings water resistant bibs . All day in messy snow rain mix , and brush performed great, A bit heavy but totally wind proof
Cabela's Instinct Jacket. Bought on clearance . This particular jacket has been replaced.Much warmer, dryer and windproof than my KUIU outer shell and less costly.

I better give a thumbs up on my Honda Rancher ATV. 2006 model, 10,000 miles ,starts and runs great, It was tested a number of days goose hunting starting when parked outside for 10 hunts that were -15 to -22
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 10 26, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Lefty,
I am not clear on the Cabelas jacket. It has been replaced but it is better than your other one?

Everything worked pretty good except the stove was underpowered and the tent leaked. Cant really blame the tent as it was a little too much to ask out of it. oh, my Yamaha generator gave up the fight with a broken connecting rod. Not real happy about that.

Schnees boots, Sitka clothing, Smartwool socks, Wapiti River calls, Mathews bow, and Polaris ATV were all outstanding.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Slinghook. If you're thinking about getting one, don't.
Gore socks. Bought 4 pair, wish I'd got 12.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 10 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Tigger:
The jacket I purchased isnt made any more. I believe it is was a top notch jacket
But I think that line continues with other products, just not that type of jacket.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Ive recently found myself needing a lot of new clothing. I think good clothing is an important piece of the puzzle for hunting. You have to be warm and comfortable to focus on the hunt. If your clothes suck, youll be miserable and not focus on the hunt, and maybe leave the woods early. So i dished out some cash and bought a lot of stuff from filson. Its expensive, but man is it good quality stuff! Makes the high end hunting gear like first lite, kuiu etc seem kind of second rate. If camo isnt important to you, spending a bit more on filson stuff is a good way to go. I get a big discount on their products, but knowing what i know now, id still buy it even if i had to pay retail. Its absolutely top notch quality. Pretty much anything they make. From their regular wool, to merino, or their shelter, tin, waxed cloth stuff.. really good products. Buy once cry once kind of a deal.

Also, im extremely impressed with my sig 2000 rangefinder. Lightning fast readings, and out to 1800 yards no problem.

Ive been getting quite a bit of use out of my msr reactor stove too, and its fantastic. Well designed little pack stove, perfect for heating up freeze dried meals. Speaking of which, i really dig the paleo meals to go stuff. Never heard of them until they became a sponsor here, but theyre now my go-to. No more mtn house or bp pantry for me.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Funny. I have Filson stuff but stopped using it when I got my Sitka stuff. It is so heavy! A few things I don't like about it too.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:Funny. I have Filson stuff but stopped using it when I got my Sitka stuff. It is so heavy! A few things I don't like about it too.

Oh its heavy stuff, no doubt. But i dont see any other downside to it myself. I notice the weight, but it also prevents the need of several layers to achieve the same protection. Thats my take anyway. I can put on 6 layers of other stuff yo achieve the same level of insulation, but that is much less comfortable. If youve stopped using your filson stuff, id be happy to give you my address, and you can send it my way. :D
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 11 05, 2017 •  [Post 10]

My gear held up as usual, but my body didn't, So thinking about next year. I now have to be able to get back in 6-9 miles if I want to keep tagging elk. Presently 3-4 is max I can ride into every day.I can't walk far or carry much on my back. Thinking primarily ML season.

I need to retrofit my gear, so I can pack everything on my one pack mule. All my pack stuff is geared towards a pack string of 3-4 animals.Now I need to think backpacking weight type gear.I will still use my pick up pop up camper as base ,but go in and stay for 4 days or so.I figure I can cut up the meat in small enough pieces that I can lift.

Advice and suggestions on gear is needed.
I need: Tepee style ultra light tent so I can stand up and get dressed in.
Miniature wood burning stove
New sleeping bag, but rated so I can use it in rifle season also.I sleep cold and I can not sleep in a mummy bag.
Good sleeping pad. I already have two older Thermorest that don't cut it for this old body.
Last resort (which I already have) is a twin size air bed.
Tent type LED lantern. (Already have a Coleman size one that uses 4 D size batteries)

l already have clothes, rain gear, Pocket Rocket and Coleman fuel fired Whisper Lite Stoves, cooking gear.I am willing to sacrifice weight of sleeping bag and pad, but not comfort.Of course, all on a limited budget ( less than$1000 )Not looking to spend a fortune as I figure I only have 3-4 more years left to do this because of my ages. Assuming the shoulder replacement I am having done in December comes out OK.
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 11 06, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I am taking the over on the 3-4 more years of you hunting. I am betting closer to 10! You will adapt and adjust and be killing elk a long time from now buddy!

Well, unless you start missing. that is always a possibility. You get a case of elk fever and blow the shot.......(just pulling your chain!).
Tigger