Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snow/Pac Boots....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snow/Pac Boots....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

OK, let's talk about the real deal. A boot that is truly waterproof, keeps your big ol feet warm, has reasonable traction so you don't sled down declines against your will, etc. Besides just going with a full rubber boot and three pairs of socks, what is out there that will tow the line? How about an old school pac boot with full rubber bottoms and leather uppers (ahhh. I fondly remember the old Sorrels I had in MT that served the purpose, perhaps with a wonder break bag over my sock... :)....... will that do the trick? Curious to hear your thoughts from those who currently live in snow country... RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Snow/Pac Boots....

Postby jmez » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Cabelas Inferno pac boot or their Predator Extreme pac boot. Best that I have found. They are both waterproof and warm. I wear the ice fishing all winter so they get wet every time you drill a hole, I've yet to have them leak. They are bulky, any cold weather boot will be, but far more comfortable that the older style Sorrel boot.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby scubohuntr » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Depends on what is on the schedule. I have an old pair of Vasque goretex boots with 1200 gram Thinsulate that I wear for heavy walking in cold and snow. They're pretty waterproof provided I remember to Snow Seal them before season starts. As long as I keep moving, wear good wool socks, and it's not too far below zero, they keep my feet from getting too cold. For lighter walking in colder weather, a pair of old pac boots. When it's really, really cold and not much walking involved (ice fishing and sometimes tree stands), I reach for the Rigmasters- almost knee high, felt liners with aluminum heat barriers, steel toe, glass traction fibers in the sole, and rated to -100 °C. Back in the 80s, I had a pair of cheap moon boots for tree stands. They were completely useless for walking, but they'd keep your feet warm when sitting still, and weighed almost nothing.
scubohuntr

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

MUCKS! Just a good all purpose boot. Confy to!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I still have my sorels, but use Schnees more than anything. They have a big lineup of different pack boots with rubber bottoms and leather uppers. I love mine.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I still prefer Sorels. A little bulky, but the Schnees I have are not as warm . Both are fairly waterproof, but of course not in deep water. Gaiters will add to that though.The Sorels are easier to change the packs and the 3/8" felt packs will dry better .

Long ago before most on here were born,we use to have what was referred to as 5 buckle artics. They were a rubber over boot with 5 buckles instead of laces.They looked like the over boots you see advertised for western boots, but higher. They came with a 3'/8"thick felt pack that had a hard sole.Unless you got a tear in them ,they were truly water proof.Used mostly in snowy hunts.

I can't keep my feet warm no matter what I wear, so I use the chemical toe warmers.

There are some full insole chemical warmers marketed under Hot Hand labels, but they are small. The ones marketed under the Grabber brand are bigger and work a bit better.I couple them with the Toasty Toes toe warmers
saddlesore

Postby snowbank » 11 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

In dry snow and steep ground, espesially when it is rocky, I where Whites caulked packs wit felt liners. You can stand on ice covered granite. On wet snow I wear air bobs. My old ones are whites with felt liners while my new ones are Hoffmans with 5 caulks in the arch for those nasty lodgepoles that lay on the ground waiting for you to slide down them. The Hoffmans have the snuggest fit with felt liners and are a real pleasure on steep ground. Sorels are warm but real misery on steep ground. This is what most of the loggers wear for work.

If it is wet then same boots with thinsolite. My wife has some complaints about my boot collection but I don't like cold and falling down on steep ground. Both make me grumpy.
snowbank

Postby Lefty » 11 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I have some2000 gram Lacross boots. great for hunting less bulky, and less warm, than my Sorels

Anyone own Baffins?
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby CurlyTail » 12 01, 2017 •  [Post 9]

My old Sorels (made in Canada) wore out and the new replacement Sorels(made in Viet Nam) are not in the same category of quality.

When I need to replace my new cheap Sorels, I will go with Kennetreks.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I don't think there is one boot that fits all situations. I like muck boots when it is rain and wet snow. I prefer LL Bean pacs for cold and dryer snow. I don't like caulk boot for snow as the snow gathers up on the soles of the boots and becomes a big problem. It is like walking on a two inch thick ball.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I was just looking at this myself. The Schnee and Kenetrek pac boots look nice and I was ready to buy a pair but a hunting buddy of mine recommended Sorel Dominator boots that were made in Canada. I don't think they are made anymore (I believe the new stuff is made in China). I found a pair in my size on ebay that the seller claims were worn twice. I bought them for $48 (including shipping) and they are in great shape. It might be worth trying this if you are on a budget.
VT Sasquatch