Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cleaning Your Pack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cleaning Your Pack

Postby Swede » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I caught a whiff of a bad odor in my hunting room and got to checking. I had noticed it a couple of times before. It was the pack I used in Oregon to haul out some elk. Dang, it was not even my own elk. I have washed out the pack twice with some soap and water, but it still has a faint smell. What do some of you do to get the odor totally out of your pack? My game bags are laundered so they are fine, but that pack has crannies inside that I just don't get perfectly clean.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Cleaning Your Pack

Postby Rangerz » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Might try some baking soda. Get the pack wet, scrub in the baking soda, rinse and dry.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby saddlesore » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Mine isn't very big ,so I throw it in the washer. I'd go to the car wash for big packs.I put elk quarters into trash bags after they are in game bags and then into my panniers to keep blood of them when I pack the elk out .

I had a nasty smell in my upland game coat,I had left two dove in there unnoticed for a year in my gear shed
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:I had a nasty smell in my upland game coat,I had left two dove in there unnoticed for a year in my gear shed

Classic! I started another thread so we could dive deeper into stinky smells we have encountered :-0
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 12 10, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Second the baking soda. I hose it off good, then sprinkle a box of baking soda, rub it in really good everywhere then rinse really good and dry in the house where it will dry fast, drying it outside in the shop is too slow and smells will form.
Roosiebull

Postby pointysticks » 12 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

i fill a big plastic storage bin up with water. i dump in hot water as well from the bathtub. i swish in laundry detergent and u-boat my pack in there over night. if i walk by, i poke it around with a stick.

then the next day..i blast it with my garden hose with a jet nozzle. hang to dry.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I use my bathtub or an 125 gallon Rubbermaid water tank. Ive used baking soda , borax and/or hunting type laundry detergent.
I dont care for that nasty smell of blood/ meat.

The meat smelling pack happened once,... I thought it was a dead mouse in the garage at first. I clean my pack and clothes as soon as possible.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby stringunner » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Send me the bill for your baking soda or oxy clean. I have a feeling you are talking about my elk! I soak in oxy clean and rinse till water is clear. I then spray it down with a vinegar and water solution and let it air dry for several days.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 9]

stringunner wrote:Send me the bill for your baking soda or oxy clean. I have a feeling you are talking about my elk!

It was yours, or Tim's or Oly's. Maybe I should just send all of you a bill. I might let Oly off the hook as he allowed me to dirty his pack on the Idaho hunt.
BTW: I just ordered a new Kuiu Ultra Pro frame, pack and load hauler for next season. It is far superior to the Alaska II frame and pack I have used for years. It is also easy to clean. I genuinely believe that pack and frame could add some years to my ability to pack elk out of the forest. You can use that pack and frame next season to pack out your elk, while I hunt from my stand or crawl in and hold down my sleeping bag back at camp. If I get an elk first, I will need to use the Kuiu pack and frame to help you pack the critter out, so don't count on it in that case. :D
Swede

Postby stringunner » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:
stringunner wrote:Send me the bill for your baking soda or oxy clean. I have a feeling you are talking about my elk!

It was yours, or Tim's or Oly's. Maybe I should just send all of you a bill. I might let Oly off the hook as he allowed me to dirty his pack on the Idaho hunt.
BTW: I just ordered a new Kuiu Ultra Pro frame, pack and load hauler for next season. It is far superior to the Alaska II frame and pack I have used for years. It is also easy to clean. I genuinely believe that pack and frame could add some years to my ability to pack elk out of the forest. You can use that pack and frame next season to pack out your elk, while I hunt from my stand or crawl in and hold down my sleeping bag back at camp. If I get an elk first, I will need to use the Kuiu pack and frame to help you pack the critter out, so don't count on it in that case. :D

Well well well sounds like we were on the same idea....I just received my early Christmas gift from Santa, a new Stone Glacier X Curve Frame and Sky 5900 pack. After packing meat and gear for the past several years with sub par packs I decided I needed one built for the job required. I actually liquidated nearly all my hunting stuff not used in the past two years to help afford the purchase, I also sold every other pack I owned to buy this one, I didn’t know I had become a pack collector. I found and sold 6 different packs in my hunting storage. I had no idea the cost of these high end packs could be so high. For the price of the pack it should come with its own set of legs and shoulders to do that packing!
stringunner

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 11]

The high end packs are definitely spendy. The difference between them and ones like we have used is huge. I still remember the pain that Alaska II put in my shoulders and hearing Oly complain about it trying to "pants" him when he used it. After using Oly's Kuiu pack last season, I decided not to go back. I now have several packs also. I will continue to use one, to pack my stands in and out along with the paraphernalia we use with them. The others can go.
Swede