Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Never again, or always or sometimes maybe!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Never again, or always or sometimes maybe!!

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Did you end up with any gear the past few years on a hunt or pack trip that will never again be brought along.Or something that will always be along?

Over the years Ive refined my hunting and hiking pack.
Ive replaced those mylar "space blankets" in my pack with a better quality Survive Outdoors Longer Emergency Bivvy XL2 man .
My doc told me to dump the first aid trauma blood clotting pack in my backpack. SO that is now kept in the ATV/pickup First aid pack.
Some hunts and hikes a survival straw. I was relying too much on boiling water or snow.
I have started bringing those single serving crackers and meat, made by Bumblebee or Starkist., and Costcos nut bars
I still pack fifty cent Walmart fleece gloves and neck gaiter, they weigh nothing for their emergency possibilities.
And this year I required my daughter to wear a wrist sized bear spray on her arm.
What gear has gone in or out of your pack ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Never again, or always or sometimes maybe!!

Postby Indian Summer » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

You all know I will never leave came without my Clip Shot. It literally helps preserve the memories by giving me great self taken pictures.

But you won't have any memories to preserve if you blow it at the moment of truth. Thousands of dollars, a year of planning, and miles of hiking can come down to a single chance to make it happen. For that reason two years ago I added a Caldwell Deadshot Field Pod. It's pretty light and to me worth carrying.
Attachments
IMG_2339.JPG
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Always:
Clip-Shot, obviously!
Headlamp
the Buck knife my dad gave me when I was 12
first aid/survival kit

Question for Lefty: Why would the doc say to leave the blood clotting thing in your truck? I asked a first responder paramedic about what would be the most important thing to have in the field and he immediately said the blood clotting thing.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I keep the Quick Clot in camp,but my small emergency first aid kit that I always have with me has ' Wound Seal in it. You can get it at Walgreens, a small packet of the same stuff that will seal smaller knife cuts and such.

I also have suture kits in my big first aid kit at camp. One year, snowed in , I had to sew myself up from a nasty knife cut. All I had were some big horse suture needles and fishing line.

I keep a small survival kit in my day pack or saddle bag
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Headlamps X2 (one is an adjustable model w/far reaching beam for walking, the other is a flood beam model for critter processing and around camp light). I have no idea how we ever got along without headlamps before they came out.
Clipshot is always in my Exo pack.
Small spray bottle of Peroxide; possibly one of the most important items in my pack. Bill K. (>>>---WW--->) recommended this additional to my pack kill kit quite a few years ago and proven to be worth its weight in gold year after year!
Black plastic sacks X2. I use one to line my pack before shoving a bunch of bloody meat bags in, to sit on and keep my skinny arse dry when glassing, eating lunch, etc., and have even used them for stream crossing. Forgot your rain gear on a hunt and the skies open up? Cut out arm and head/neck hole of a bag and you have a functional rain top.
My pack has 4-5 of the VIAM Outdoors G3 (Glacier Gear Grabs) bags for organizing my pack contents; damn handy little critters.
cc87a2_e729ab981692483fa1518a7cdbcdd75a~mv2_d_3264_1836_s_2.jpg

I've also went to all synthetic game bags (again, VIAM Outdoors). Very lightweight, strong, and washable.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 6]

That reminds me..... my TAG Bags go everywhere since they are light and compact. I used to leave my game bags at camp until I needed them.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 7]

" I have no idea how we ever got along without headlamps before they came out."

They were called Mini Mag in your mouth.They even had plastic caps for the back end that you put on and were formed so you could hold it in your teeth.
Big reason why I stopped hunting late afternoons. I hate processing an elk in the dark

Instead of expensive para cord. I buy a 100 ft piece of new clothes line every year for a few bucks.I don't feel bad about cutting it up any time I need to
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 8]

The Kuiu Ultra Pro Frame and suspension with the load hauler is absolutely the best I have ever seen or used. I got one for Oly, but plan to get another for myself. That setup could add years to my hunting life.
I got some canned paper wrapped tamales. Yuck! They are worse than horrible.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:I got some canned paper wrapped tamales. Yuck! They are worse than horrible.

Sure glad you didn't pull out that goo in SEP. What I distinctly remember is you having some really tasty tortillas to put Lamrith's concoction on... ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Question for Lefty: Why would the doc say to leave the blood clotting thing in your truck? I asked a first responded paramedic about what would be the most important thing to have in the field and he immediately said the blood clotting thing.

He retired from the Army as a MD after 20 some years. Then 6 years ago joined the Guard know he was going to the Sandbox. He dealt with bullet holes and blown off limbs.
He told me if I cant stop it with pressure ( including a tourniquet) I was dead anyway.
Along with his dry morbid sense of humor his advise was make sure Dave knows where we can find you or take my wife along.

I took an Wilderness First Aid Class a couple months ago , they were all about tourniquets it sounded as if the EMT here have changed their position of tourniquets and trauma packs for wildness first aid
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 12 15, 2017 •  [Post 11]

never again:

Kifaru. sleeping bag.
crappy zipper
not warm enough. i had the 20 deg and was chattering on a spring fishing trip in the 40's
had to pay $45 for the stuff sack separately.
didnt come with a storage sack..which i also had to buy separately from REI./

those guys on that other website hooked me in..hook-line-sinker.

i dont love my pack either from the same company..talk about sniffing the pixie dust.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Tim in Wa. » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 12]

pointysticks wrote:never again:

Kifaru. sleeping bag.
crappy zipper
not warm enough. i had the 20 deg and was chattering on a spring fishing trip in the 40's
had to pay $45 for the stuff sack separately.
didnt come with a storage sack..which i also had to buy separately from REI./

those guys on that other website hooked me in..hook-line-sinker.

i dont love my pack either from the same company..talk about sniffing the pixie dust.

ditto on both counts ?
I switched to a Western Mountaineering bag and an Exo pack.Life is much better now
Tim
Tim in Wa.

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Ottersen

Postby pointysticks » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Tim in Wa. wrote:ditto on both counts ?
I switched to a Western Mountaineering bag and an Exo pack.Life is much better now
Tim

similar. WM bag and Mystery Ranch pack. life is better.

i do have an Enlightened Equipment quilt coming since my wife took a liking to my sleeping bag.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l