Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New rifle coming!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New rifle coming!

Postby pointysticks » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I can’t belive how excited I am.

Paul sent me the scope. Should get it tomorrow. I pick up the rifle Friday. This on paper; should be my last gun purchase. I’m really not a gun freak. I just like shooting. At this point a rifle comes in, one must go. I just don’t want a big inventory.

I have a Savage mark-II FV-SR coming. A .22 rimfire! I’m getting this for shooting fun. I think a .22 is my favorite caliber by far. I hope to go to Alaska to shoot grouse with it during the spring mating season. My brother has the same gun. His is silenced with a suppressor. We were plinking hovering yellow jacket wasp at 30 yards with it. We are researching an AZ backpacking squirrel trip. Should be cheap and doable on the slow hunting years :)

I just need the rifle, the scope;add then I can take some measurement for the scope rings. I wish I could own a suppressor. Boo!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: New rifle coming!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Sweet! I'll have to check that model out. Haven't owned .22 in ages but used to really love smucking gophers and hunting grouse with them. Post a pic once you get it set up.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 3]

That sounds like a fun gun and some great ideas for using it. You should gave a great Christmas.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 4]

new guns are always a blast (some pun intended) congrats!

have you tried a 17HMR? I will always have one, they are so freaking accurate it's crazy. my first year going east to shoot sage rats, I brought my bow and ruger 10/22. the ruger was a disappointment, any sage rat over 40yds was iffy.

on my way home I stopped by a gun store and bought a 17HMR, my next trip over, I could head shoot a sage rat at 50 yds, every time if I did my part. I found they are actually cheaper to shoot if you look at it as "cost per sage rat" even at 100 yds, if it's not windy, hit every single one if I do my part.

target shooting at 100 yds is one ragged hole. they are insanely accurate, and pack a wallop.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Roosie, why don't you work on your spot and stalk skills and sneak up to shoot the rats with your bow? Every archer has a few old arrows that are too near retirement to be in our regular hunting quiver. You would be able to put those older arrows to good use.
Swede

Postby pointysticks » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Roosie, why don't you work on your spot and stalk skills and sneak up to shoot the rats with your bow? Every archer has a few old arrows that are too near retirement to be in our regular hunting quiver. You would be able to put those older arrows to good use.

my best spot/stalk was earlier this year. got my first JACKRABBIT with a .22 handgun. i was belly crawling, and shuffling like a pro. i played the wind. i got to 25 yards. and boom!!
pointysticks

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Cliff, that is great. I know the little critters are not easy for a stunt like that.
As I am sure you know, I just wanted to give Roosie a hard time. He is fun to harass, and needs it too. :D
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Roosie, why don't you work on your spot and stalk skills and sneak up to shoot the rats with your bow? Every archer has a few old arrows that are too near retirement to be in our regular hunting quiver. You would be able to put those older arrows to good use.

I do lots of that, all i used last year was my bow with judo points.

Standard shooting is start with the 17 for prime time morning and evening, bow the rest of the day. The ranchers want production, so prime time I use the 17 for a more "genocide" effect.
Archery sage rats and Jack hunting is the best practice a person can get.

I don't use a range finder either, I was doing pretty good out to 70 yds, it is really cool putting the 60 yd pin on a sage rat and seeing that arrow whack it. I have some pics from last summer and prior summers I will try to find.

The ranchers get a kick out of it too, they have never seen nothing like it. Plan on taking my recurve this year too.

For stacking up rats really fast, can't beat a 17 though, the bow is fun practice, but it's hard to get 50 in a day. With the 17, I can shoot 400 rounds in a morning and not miss more than 10%, probably closer to 5%
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Roosie, I see why the elk dread knowing you are coming out for them. Getting jacks and sage rats with a bow is definitely a testament to your skill. I lived for years about 12 miles south of Burns. There were a lot of survivors, unscathed after I went for them. I did get some, but will stay in my tree stand.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 10]

That's the area I go, just east of burns, 8 miles west of crane...off s.newton road.

I love it out there, and I'm always out in the pivots or sage brush chasing stuff around. Can't wait for Easter! Making a trip then at the latest. Need to call at least one dog and kill it with my bow the next trip.

Btw, I miss more than I hit, but it's a target rich environment :D once I get range dialed in I do pretty good, but pretty good is relative.
Roosiebull

Postby pointysticks » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Thanks to Paul for being an awesome Vortex sales person. Fast painless purchase. Slight hiccup with Fedex, but all is forgiven and forgotten.

Topped it off with the 2-7x RIMFIRE Diamond-back scope. It’s perfect. Used the lowest rungs; .75” from top of rail to mid scope and I get a great cheek weld despite the tiny rifle.
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Here
Attachments
AC36F5D3-E83A-4348-B010-12BEE1B9AF0E.jpeg
AC36F5D3-E83A-4348-B010-12BEE1B9AF0E.jpeg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
pointysticks

Postby Roosiebull » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 13]

cool little rifle for sure!
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Interesting rifle. I don't think I have seen a rimfire 22 with a bull barrel before. I am not big into guns any more, but yours looks like it should be able to drive tacks when you are not harassing the sage rats.
Swede