Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Remington Core-Loc

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Remington Core-Loc

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Picked up several boxes of .300 Saum 165 core-loc. What’s anyone’s thoughts on this round for elk? Should I shoot them up and reload with my usual 180 Scirocco or sight it in and hunt?
Elkhntr08

Re: Remington Core-Loc

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have used them and still have some. They have been killing elk for years. I would go with them with no special reservations. If you make a good hit, it will result in a quick humane kill.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

The problem with most cup and core bullets is that they are not tough enough to hold together and get deep penetration when used at magnum velocities. About 2900fps seems to be the top speed realm of their capabilities.Certainly something in the 165 gr weight class at magnum velocities will need to bring that speed down even more. Of course this is impact velocities, which may very well be at longer distance.

The cor loc has killed many elk and deer, and I won't take anything away from it, but it still shines in .308, .06. class of cartridges. I would consider 180 gr to be the minimum in a .330SAUM.Even preferring a 200 gr. I am not into all the boutique premium bullets on the market today, but I wold look at something more like the Nosler Partition. JMHO
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Like Swede mentioned
They have been killing elk for years.
A good bullet for a long time.
They were my bullet until I started using Ballistic tips
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I do like the Sciroccos, and so does the rifle. Picked up 8 boxes for $20 each when Gander Mtn went belly up. Bought them for the brass, so I’ll stick with the plan. Maybe shoot chipmunks to use them up.
Elkhntr08

Postby scubohuntr » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Elkhntr08 wrote:I do like the Sciroccos, and so does the rifle. Picked up 8 boxes for $20 each when Gander Mtn went belly up. Bought them for the brass, so I’ll stick with the plan. Maybe shoot chipmunks to use them up.

I did that once... bought three boxes of 300 grain silvertip .338s on clearance, cheaper than brass. I shot 'em all from the bench in one sitting. I had black and blue basketweave patterns on my right shoulder for weeks.
scubohuntr

Postby Roosiebull » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Elkhntr08 wrote:I do like the Sciroccos, and so does the rifle. Picked up 8 boxes for $20 each when Gander Mtn went belly up. Bought them for the brass, so I’ll stick with the plan. Maybe shoot chipmunks to use them up.

Sounds like a good plan. The projectile is a pretty important aspect in rifle hunting... at least to me. I want a bullet I'm confident in, and will not make a mess of what I'm shooting at the ranges I plan on shooting.

I like partitions a lot, your bullet of choice is a good one, and I'm going to shoot some Barnes bullets in my 7 mag before next season.

It matters to me, I'm not going to hunt with a bullet because I got a good deal. I consider a premium bullet to fill my tag a VERY good investment. Cheap ammo is good for collecting brass, and just getting time behind your rifle.

I am also aware of how much game has died by green box ammo, but today we have so many great options, and I can't imagine being a reloader and hunting with green box :D
Roosiebull

Postby Timber79 » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I ran 180gr. Core loc's for years until I experience bullet failure on a very large mature blackmail that resulted in a all nighter in the jungles of western wa searching for a dead but not bleeding much buck due to the lack of penitration . I then switched to nosler partitions and finally ended up going to barns tsx in which I have yet to not have a complete pass through. Bullets are the cheapest part of the hunt even when using premium rounds so in my opinion absolutely not worth the savings
Timber79

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I would pay close attention to what Saddlesore wrote. I have no experience with super fast light weight Core Locs in magnums. They very well could fragment at high speeds.
As far as the failure of a bullet goes, I have had failures with Nozler Partitions. The bullet just bent and never opened up in an elk I shot. That does not mean that they are in most cases a poor round. I think the bullet speed at the range it hit the elk was too slow, and no bone was struck. Anyway the elk was dead very quickly.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 82ndreddevil » 01 09, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I used those in 300WM on a cow elk one year. The exit hole was the size of a baseball. The only restriction you’ll give yourself is distance. It is definitely not a round that is designed to be super accurate at long distances.
82ndreddevil

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

82, how far was your shot?
Elkhntr08