Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Head lamps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Head lamps

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What color of head lamps do you use when your getting into your spot before sunrise? What brand? Where to buy them?
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: Head lamps

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I think my headlamp is a Petzel. It is a regular white light. I think they are all bright and last long now days. It is certainly light weight and helps me see well enough.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Mine is a Black Diamond. I love it as did the people who recommended it to me when I researched them. I used to use Petzl but I like this one better. I just use the white light. You can dim a Black Diamond to any brightness. If you are really concerned about being close to elk take it off and cup it in your hand and hold it below your waist aiming it straight down.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I get the 405 lumen 2-pack from Costco (incudes batteries) for $25 on sale (usually $30). I sometimes use the red light for getting in quietly in the morning. Cannot beat these for that price!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:I get the 405 lumen 2-pack from Costco (incudes batteries) for $25 on sale (usually $30). I sometimes use the red light for getting in quietly in the morning. Cannot beat these for that price!

Is that an LED? I guess they will serve the purpose but once you use a quality lamp you will really appreciate the beam pattern. Better light and way less eye strain or fatigue.
Indian Summer

Postby Backyard » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I run a Petzyl Tikka, it has a red light on it, I've never used it tho. I don't buy into the "animals can't see the red light" garbage. It's light and brighter than the darkness regardless of the color, they see that...
Anyway, I plan on getting into a Black diamond also so that I have a back up. And from what I've heard, the Petzyl will most likely end up being my back up after that.
Backyard

Postby stringunner » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Black diamond that is rechargeable. It works well. It’s not as bright as the one Swede uses and I have contemplated changing because of that, but I like that I can charge it each night via a usb cord in my truck or camper or my solar charger.
stringunner

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I use one of those little lights that clip on the brim of my hat. I have gone two years + on the same battery.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Yes, the Costco ones are LED. I see they added a green light too. The white light adjusts from spot to flood. For the money, they are a great deal....on sale $12.50 each including batteries! I have a half dozen around and use them all the time. Made by Coast. Never had a problem with one.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Well, I just went into my hunting room and looked at my headlamp. It is a Black Diamond Icon with alkaline batteries. I do have an older Petzel that is still usable.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Ive gone through a ton of headlamps, both hunting and at work, to finally find one i really like. Get one of these. https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/h ... -headlamp/
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

My daughter is using a Black Diamond.
Ive bought the old Costco LED headlamp that came in a 5 pack on sale for $15.00., maybe 4 years ago and gave each of my daughters one for Christmas. For three bucks each they are great,.. but the new ones are so much better.
A friend used his 10 year- old top-end old-school Petzel on a scout cave camp out and was disappointed in its performances compared to my last purchase; a Ray-o-Vac , $12.00 . I just put in the third set of batteries.
The new LED's are amazing
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 09, 2018 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:Ive gone through a ton of headlamps, both hunting and at work, to finally find one i really like. Get one of these. https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/h ... -headlamp/

I have a Fenix flashlight. It is the best flashlight I have ever owned. I just wish it ran on AA batteries. It is not a major issue as the batteries last a super long time.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Thank you everyone! Sounds like the rechargeable is a great way to go! How long do these rechargeable last versa batteries?
lilshootergirl

Postby wawhitey » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 15]

lilshootergirl wrote:Thank you everyone! Sounds like the rechargeable is a great way to go! How long do these rechargeable last versa batteries?

Rechargables wont last as long as lithium
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 16]

wawhitey wrote:
lilshootergirl wrote:Thank you everyone! Sounds like the rechargeable is a great way to go! How long do these rechargeable last versa batteries?

Rechargables wont last as long as lithium

Agree.. I've never been a fan of the rechargeable BATTs for many reasons. I continue to prefer packing a couple of lithium batteries with me for whatever headlamp(s) I'm using
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 01 21, 2018 •  [Post 17]

How do you recharge batteries in elk camp??? I’ll stick with Copper Tops!
Indian Summer

Postby Backyard » 01 22, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:How do you recharge batteries in elk camp??? I’ll stick with Copper Tops!

I'm most likely gonna get slammed for this.
I'm not trying to be a smart@ss but this is how I would do it if I used rechargeable batteries: http://www.goalzero.com/p/79/guide-10-plus-solar-kit
I use it for other things and it works pretty good.
Backyard

Postby Indian Summer » 01 23, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I have a solar charger. Not as nice as that one. It’s free to good home. You have to leave your batteries in camp during the day to charge them. But the worse part is you depend on actually having sunny days to have gps batteries. If you camp in timber that method is even shakier. I have a rechargeable battery that came with my Garmin but as soon as it dies I go to regular batteries. I hope I don’t get slammed for my old school method. Lol It’s foolproof.
Indian Summer

Postby Backyard » 01 23, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I've been in the wrong neck of the woods all along I guess. See you guys later....
Backyard

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Great information, was wondering if rechargeable will last as long as batteries! Bought some AAA the package says 10 year guarantee? Is this new? Sorry it took so long to reply!! Thank you all! :D n
lilshootergirl

Postby Lefty » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Batteries last a long time with most new LED's Ive rolled up my Walmart tent light in the tent, Light was on from early Sunday morning week the light still had enough light to read Elknuts new Playbook ( true story) on Friday night.
Ive accidentally turned on my current LED Lamp and saw it on the following morning a number of times.
I cant imagine using up fresh batteries in a whole week in camp,.. unless you need the light on to sleep ;)
Costco batteries are .35 -40 cents each. another set of batteries or another head lamp at the truck would be easier than bringing a charger.

I just tossed out a white and a red ( emergency) Photon lights that I had for well over 15 years ( weight less than .3 of an ounce) the batteries were not replaceable,
A few things I have plenty of in my pickup,.. methods to start a fire , lights and 12 ga. BB loads
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H