Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rabble rouser count “3” I reckon.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rabble rouser count “3” I reckon.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Wawhitey, pointsticks, roosiebull.... you 3 lit a fire. Now I’m looking at a .17 HMR for range and small varmint smucking.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Rabble rouser count “3” I reckon.

Postby wawhitey » 01 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

One thing i should mention, is that during the ammo shortage, .22lr was extremely hard to find, .22wmr was nonexistant, but every store you go to had stacks of .17hmr on the shelves.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good to know rabble rouser #1 :). Looking at a Ruger American or a Savage B17 G shown below. I can get the Ruger I’ll on post for $305, no tax but they can’t get me the Savage. The Savage B17 would be full price off post ($370ish plus tax) but I’m partial to the wood stock sometimes. It would be a nice range rifle for Mrs Wapiti :/

859CA52A-22C1-488A-9D63-FC576DCE73B6.jpeg
859CA52A-22C1-488A-9D63-FC576DCE73B6.jpeg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 01 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Opps sorry!

I chose the .22lr simply because the simplicity. I have to get within range still, making the small game hunting relatively exciting. Plus shooting subsonic loads with a suppressor is giddy fun.

Good luck.

If I knew I was gonna so excited about the rifle; I would have spent more money on a CZ 455 target version. Oh well. Bang for the buck, my savage is a deal.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby lamrith » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Good to know rabble rouser #1 :). Looking at a Ruger American or a Savage B17 G shown below. I can get the Ruger I’ll on post for $305, no tax but they can’t get me the Savage. The Savage B17 would be full price off post ($370ish plus tax) but I’m partial to the wood stock sometimes. It would be a nice range rifle for Mrs Wapiti :/

859CA52A-22C1-488A-9D63-FC576DCE73B6.jpeg

RJ,
I will send you the name/number to the FFL I use, he is a smaller shop in Bonney Lake. I know not exactly in your normal wanderings, but usually he beats everyone else local by enough t make it worth the quick trip. He is always my 1st call when I am looking for something.

True points about the last big panic. 22lr was non-existent. Since then though it has come back around, I went ahead and grabbed an ammocan deal Cabelas had a year or so back on cheap plinking 22lr and just stocked up. 22lr honestly is one of those you can never have enough of. I could easily get you a brick from my stash to get you rolling. Probably more than you would use in a year since I now you can only take a few rounds of 22lr before your shoulder get sore.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby pointysticks » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

lamrith wrote:...... you can only take a few rounds of 22lr before your shoulder get sore.

LOL! maybe stay away from the hard-wollopoing CCI mini-mags..:)

there is something intoxicating about seeing the bullet impact thru the rifle scope.
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

oh, and .22LR are abundant again.

i went to a DICKS yesterday. and found just about every type..even brands i've never heard of (ELLY or something?)

my guns shoots the Winchester superX beautifully..i chronod the bullets and they were at speed advertised..1250 IIRC..that will hammer a bunny.
pointysticks

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Now I’m looking at the .17 WSM. Looks like a hot little round.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Now I’m looking at the .17 WSM. Looks like a hot little round.

I bought a savage bmag when they first came out. The action was extremely rough, cycling the bolt was a workout, cheap stock, overall cheap feel. And to top it off, it wouldnt extract the empty brass. So i had it sent back to savage, and they said it was unrepairable, and just sent me a whole new rifle. I sold it without even taking it out of the box. Now i think theyve done a few changes to it, but im not sure. And at the time, it was the only rifle avsilable for the new .17wsm cartridge. I got the feeling they just rushed a cheap crappy rifle out to be the first in the game. Several other rifles have been introduced in .17wsm since then, by savage and other manufacturers. I guess what im getting at, is if youre looking at a savage bmag, be sure to get your hands on one, cycle the bolt etc. If theyre still the same as they were when i bought mine, id take a pass.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Ya, I've read some negative stuff about the B Mags so as of today, they're off my list. I'm looking at a few of the other (very few) .17 WSM's available. The Marlin Model XT-17VSL has peaked my interest, pretty reasonably priced, the Ruger M77 looks great but holy cat bells, expensive..... and, Tikka is coming out with a new .17 in APR or MAY this year but I'm not positive they have the WSM, only the HMR. I've got a scope ordered through Mr. Elknut, now I just gotta get a rifle to attach it to :?.
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I have the Savage 93R17. I refer to it as my (Fun Gun)! Deadly accurate !! I can reach out to 175-200 yards on ground squirrels. And when you consider those little critters aren't even as big as a 16 ounce pepsi bottle, that's some pretty good shooting. I put a 3-9 Nikon scope on it. And the whole setup was cheap enough that I didn't mind giving it the ole Rustoleum camo paint job. Mine really likes Hornaday V-Max loads. The ground squirrels don't like that round at all! :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics