Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

7mm Remington Mag vs. 300 Win Mag/WSM?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

7mm Remington Mag vs. 300 Win Mag/WSM?

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a dated topic. I hunted elk in the archery season last year but I want to try in rifle season. I live in Pennsylvania and have a good assortment of rifles but I am interested in getting a Browning BAR since a lot of States are allowing semi-autos now. I might use it for game in the East but I want to get it in a cartridge that would be best matched for elk.

Since I lack experience, can you recommend which cartridge you think is better? I am leaning toward the 7mm because it might be a bit flatter shooting and will have higher ballistic coefficient in similar weight bullets. I am not expecting to shoot long range but I would like the rifle to have the ability to do it if my skills get up to par. For me, long range would be 300+, nothing truly long. Obviously, the 300 has the potential for heavier bullets and will make a bit wider hole. I have never shot an elk so I don't know if there is a significant advantage to the bigger bullets or if a 150ish grain from a 7mm would do the job just as well.

Thoughts? Thanks
VT Sasquatch

Re: 7mm Remington Mag vs. 300 Win Mag/WSM?

Postby RAMMONT » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If you intend to shoot at short range (300 yards or less) and you stick with bullets that weigh around 175 grains it won't make any difference which rifle you choose, pick one that you think will feel better in your shoulder.

If you think you'll shoot longer ranges and maybe move up to a moose or grizzly then I'd pick the 300 WSM, it gives you heavier bullets that will still perform properly at longer ranges.
RAMMONT

Postby saddlesore » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Try to shoot one of each.That might make up your mind. The 300 has significant more recoil. I have killed elk with both Remington and Weatherby 7 mags, with no complaints. If I were not recoil shy,I would go with the 300,but using 200 gr Nosler Partitions which have a lot more down range retained energy.With the 7 mag, I would keep to a175 gr Partition or similar bullets. Most guys who drink the magnum Kool Aid (my self included years ago) use light weight C&C bullets that don't hold together when pushed at those velocities and shed that velocity at longer distances faster. Heavy for caliber bullets usually kill better.There are the Barnes mono-metal coppers but I don't drink that Kool Aid.

I would do some research on the accuracy of the BAR before jumping in with both feet as they might not meet your expectations of LR shooting.

I went up and down the scale of elk killers and now exclusively use a 30-06. Successfully killing elk out to 400 yards with Nosler Partitions or Sierra 220 gr round nose bullets.Looking back,I have killed elk with a 50 cal ML, 44 mag carbine, 30-30 , .308, 30-06, 7 mag, I can' t say that any of them killed deader or faster. As is often stated,It doesn't matter as much what head stamp is on the cartridge,as where you hit them.

A lot of eastern hunters read all these gun rags or watch hunting shows which are usually on private ranches ,get convinced that most elk are killed at 300 yards plus.In reality, probably 95 percent are killed within 150 yards , with many less than that.

In my years of hunting, I have met many many non resident hunters with a good percentage being from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Pennsylvania. A heck of a lot of them are carrying those Remington pumps or semis in either Whelen or 30-06.The same rifles they hunt whitetails with and they kill a heck of a lot of elk with them.

No one needs an excuse to buy a new rifle, but I'd do some more research.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I agree with saddlesore. I’d do some more research of the BAR. It’s a tad on the heavy side to be packing up and down a mountain. Remember, you’ll carry it more than shoot it.
I have a 7mm mag and 2 .300 Win mags and prefer my 300saum. Like the 30 caliber bullets better, but wouldn’t feel under gunned with a 7mm.
Elkhntr08

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys. I have a .308 and .30-06 that I have taken a lot of deer with. I also have a 25-06 but that is probably light for elk. When I was in Colorado I was surprised by the size of some of the meadows. I figured a longer range rifle might increase my odds of success. Maybe I just like buying guns, haha. I’ll do nore research.

By the way, I drink the Barnes Kool Aid. I do almost all of my hunting with Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubonds.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Indian Summer » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

The 300 obviously produces more energy. But I have to say my 7mm Rem Mag is the sweetest shooting gun I own. My 300 RUM knocks down elk for sure and at longer ranges the 200 grainers I shoot retain more energy. But if you are talking 300 yards or less and don’t plan on hunting moose or griz I’d say go with the 7. When the subject of recoil comes up I say don’t let that be a deciding factor. If you want less just put a muzzle brake on.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby baddaddy » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

The 06 will do fine. I stoke mine with a 200 grain partition. If you are set on the BAR don't overlook the 338. For 300 yards and in the 35 Whelen with a hand loaded 250 grain bullet really thumps Elk as well. Between the three cartridges you mention I would go with one of the 300's.
baddaddy

Postby pointysticks » 01 17, 2018 •  [Post 8]

My brother has both calibers. He just got the 300wsm and his rifle is great and accurate.

Having said that, he has killed most of his critters with the 7mm. I think he is swapping back. Purely for the flatter trajectory.

I personally don’t think you can chose poorly here.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Elkduds » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Consider 160-175 grain bonded or partition bullets in 7RM for elk. Maybe 150 gr for monometal. Don't shoot a 300, so not sure of best elk bullet weights there.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby cohunter14 » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Recoil wise, I don't think you will see a difference between the 7 Mag and either of the 300's. And as has been mentioned, they will all kill elk the same. If you are considering getting into long range shooting or hunting, I would not go with the BAR and I would go with a 300 Win Mag. When it comes to shooting longer ranges, the biggest thing is accuracy and I wouldn't put my hopes into the BAR. I'd go with a Rem 700 (my preference) or a Savage where you can upgrade parts and do things to make the gun more accurate as you go. And with the 300 Win Mag, you can take full advantage of the high BC bullets. A 7 Mag doesn't pack enough punch to take advantage of the heaviest, highest BC bullets. Not saying you should do this, but a 300 win mag will hold enough energy to drop an elk at over 1,000 yards where a 7 Mag's energy drops off far before that.

With all that being said, you could easily stick with the 30-06 and kill elk past 300 yards with some practice.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 22, 2018 •  [Post 11]

cohunter14 wrote:Recoil wise, I don't think you will see a difference between the 7 Mag and either of the 300's. And as has been mentioned, they will all kill elk the same. If you are considering getting into long range shooting or hunting, I would not go with the BAR and I would go with a 300 Win Mag. When it comes to shooting longer ranges, the biggest thing is accuracy and I wouldn't put my hopes into the BAR. I'd go with a Rem 700 (my preference) or a Savage where you can upgrade parts and do things to make the gun more accurate as you go. And with the 300 Win Mag, you can take full advantage of the high BC bullets. A 7 Mag doesn't pack enough punch to take advantage of the heaviest, highest BC bullets. Not saying you should do this, but a 300 win mag will hold enough energy to drop an elk at over 1,000 yards where a 7 Mag's energy drops off far before that.

With all that being said, you could easily stick with the 30-06 and kill elk past 300 yards with some practice.

Thanks guys. I don’t really have an interest in shooting game at what some of you would consider long range. I can’t even imagine taking a 1000 yard shot at an elk or deer. Where I hunt (in the east) it is mostly forested and I usually hunt faily dense woods. I have shot quite a few bucks out here and I do think any have been outside of 50 yards. To me long means a distance where you have to consider bullet drop. That means 275+ with my 30-06. I have a public range here where you can shoot to 300 yards. If I can get proficient at that, I’d like to extend my ability to 400 yards on the off chance that I may need to shoot that far at an elk. I will always work to get my closest shot but I wouldn’t mind having a rifle and the skill to reach out a ways if necessary.

I started as a bow hunter and have shot most of my rifle bucks within bow range (35ish yards since we don’t have lane longer than that. I only recently became interested in shooting beyond 100 yards (the length on the range at our camp). I bought the 25-06 and it shoots so well at 200 that I am going to try 300 this weekend. I have a powerline ROW that goes through one of my hunting properties that could offer a 300+ yard shor for deer or coyote. I may give it a try this year with the 25-06.
VT Sasquatch

Postby snowbank » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I have killed over 50 head of elk with a bar. I shoot a 7 mag highgrade that weighs about 6 lbs with a scope. my best shot group is 1 inch, three shots at 650 yds on a rag horn bull. Don't believe that the bar is heavy and inaccurate.

I'm not a huge fan of 30 cal mags. I started with an 06 and would likely go back to that than 300 or 338. I really like the ability to recover quickly between shots while hunting in dense jungles. use 175 gr bullets on elk. they work fine on deer and with good reloads you can eat up to the edges of the bullet route with limited bloodshot. I use H4350 for good reloads.
snowbank

Postby pointysticks » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 13]

my brother just sent me a pic of his 7mm wearing a new gunstock.

i think it is coming up to bat this next season. i think it is a great caliber. not as boring in a white-bread kinda way like a 30.06, while not being super exotic in a $80 per box of ammo kinda way.

i think his 300 recoils harder for me.
pointysticks

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 14]

[quote="snowbank"]I have killed over 50 head of elk with a bar. I shoot a 7 mag highgrade that weighs about 6 lbs with a scope. my best shot group is 1 inch, three shots at 650 yds on a rag horn bull. Don't believe that the bar is heavy and inaccurate.

A 6# BAR? How did you manage that? The Lightweight comes in at 7# without a scope.
Elkhntr08

Postby snowbank » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 15]

slight modifications after a tough horsewreck. I have three 7 mag bars. none are very heavy. if you are going to seriously hunt buy as good as you can. It will pay off in the long run. I have a plain jane husquevarna in a 7 mag that weighs 5 lbs as a backup.
snowbank

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 31, 2018 •  [Post 16]

After flinching my way through a shooting session with my lightweight 308 with a 20" barrel, I think I have settled on a 7mm Mag. The kick doesn't bother me but the muzzle blast makes me flinch. I think I would be able to shoot a 7mm magnum more accurately than a 300 Win Mag. I am leaning toward the BAR with a 24" barrel. Have any of you used one? Any experience with its accuracy for hunting? Thanks
VT Sasquatch

Postby pointysticks » 01 31, 2018 •  [Post 17]

just talked to my brother. he sighted in the 7mm after installing the new gunstock.

he said he was getting 4 bullets in a ragged hole with one flyer half inch away. (@100yards). he feels it kicks harder than his 300wsm.

he is contemplating a muzzle brake install.
pointysticks

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 31, 2018 •  [Post 18]

That is interesting with the recoil. My friend has a 300 WSM with a muzzle brake and it sounds like an M80 when he shoots it.

Is your brother using a semi-auto?
VT Sasquatch

Postby pointysticks » 01 31, 2018 •  [Post 19]

no..both bolt actions.

Muzzle brakes are brutal on hunting partners.
pointysticks