Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Inexpensive Backpack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Inexpensive Backpack

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I suppose I'm a Youtube nut. I was looking at some of the modifications guys were making to the old military alice packs. So I thought, "Hey I have one of those in the basement that is in like new condition. This might be a good winter project"!

I had only used the pack once before. And with that old LC2 frame and harness, it tore my shoulders up. But some of these new mods looked pretty cool so I thought I'd give it a try.

I got rid of the old alice frame and bought a Downeast 1606AC frame off of Ebay. Then I added Molle II shoulder straps and belt. Also added Fastex buckles. The big problem with the pack is there are so many attachment points that you can over load it in a hurry. But bag itself is close to 2500 CU. That's plenty big for a day pack or lite over nighter. However, I did add a MSS sleep system carrier to the bottom of the pack for extended trips. That added an extra 1600 CU of space for a total of 4100 cu. It was a bugger attaching it to the bottom of the frame and pack. So I'm just going to roll it up and leave it on when not needed.

To be honest, it is every bit as comfortable if not better than the $550 Mystery Ranch pack I used to have. And a heck of a lot cheaper than those $250-$650 priced bags from the major brands. I think I have around $90 bucks in the whole thing.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Inexpensive Backpack

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Pictures? I’m a sucker for packs, just about as bad as my brides purse collection.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNxOLr5ZS8

Here are pictures. This is not my pack but very similar. Mine is woodland camo instead of OD green. There are all kinds of videos on Youtube of various alice set ups.

By the way, what part of Illinois are you from?
>>>---WW---->

Postby Elkduds » 01 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Sounds like a great DIY setup, hope to see pics. Getting quality gear for pennies on the $ makes me smile.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Elkhntr08 wrote:Pictures? I’m a sucker for packs, just about as bad as my brides purse collection.

:lol:
Just struck my funny-bone. :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

WW, I’m about 30 miles west of the Indiana line, 5 mile north of I 70. Area is a well kept secret in the whitetail world.
Wife picked up 3 purses last time we were in Vegas, so I figure it’s my turn. Maybe they just had up for the EXO 3500 I picked up last fall. Who knows and we don’t keep track.
Elkhntr08

Postby Navesgane » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I saw one on YouTube we're a guy made a frame out of pvc pipe
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 31, 2018 •  [Post 8]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHJnpi6ab0
Just thought I'd throw this video on here to show how I put the whole system together.
>>>---WW---->