Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow strings

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow strings

Postby Navesgane » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What's the good, bad and ugly on bow strings? Are the $120 ones noticeably better than the $60 ones?
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Bow strings

Postby Indian Summer » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I’ve always been happy with Winners Choice strings.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I think there’s wisdom to custom strings. Factory bow strings are mass produced and machine made. They seem to do fine for a few years but tend to stretch and twist. I’ve always put a custom string on my new bows either initially or after a few years. They seem to last longer than factory and arguably shoot better due to being custom/hand made. I’ve had good luck with winners choice but put one of these on my new Darton last year. So far, so good.

http://www.sidehillbowstrings.com
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Just something to think about: Just about all custom string makers use the same material to build their strings with. So the quality of craftsmanship they put into the build could be the only difference.

So to answer your question, If you can buy a string for $60 that is the made of the same stuff as a $120 string and the craftsmanship is equal!!!! DUH!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby jmez » 01 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

IMO the most important aspects of the strings/cables are length and serving. I haven't had a string/cable set stretch appreciably in years, and that includes the factory ones on Bowtech and Hoyt. Where I have had most of my issue with factory strings is serving durablitly, has been terrible on my Hoyt's. Separation and extreme wear after a few months.

Where I've had most all my issues with custom sets is length. This is a big problem with some Hoyt models as the measurements they post in their tune charts aren't correct. They measure different than the standard and if the builder is familiar with how Hoyt does this then they will be long. I have had a raft of issues with custom sets from both small builders and large household name builders.

Not all sets are created equal. I've used a lot of different guys/companies. I use strings from Park-n-sons Archery, also known as ex wolverine. Between my main hunting partner and I, we've had enough issues with strings that I would just order factory sets if he quits building them.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Serving separation seems to be a big problem for many people regardless of what brand of string they use. But that can be avoided if you whip the ends of the servings with dental floss. About 1/4 inch on the serving and on out about 1/4 inch onto the string itself. I have heard of some guys that put a drop of super glue on the serving ends. But I'm not comfortable with that because I'm not sure how the glue may effect the string and serving material. Probably not at all but I prefer to whip mine just to be on the save side. Once it is on there you can hardly even see it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I have watched custom bowstrings being made and production factory strings being made. WW is right about the materials. They are the same. The difference in a machine made string and the custom is in the work being done. The custom string is made by an individual working with his jig, while talking about his latest hunting trip, and the next 3D shoot he will attend, as he drinks a cup of coffee. The production string is made by a machine that keeps the tension on the strands very consistent, and every thing else is precisely the same string after string.
If you want a Sunset Yellow and Midnight Blue string, the personally made one may be the way to go. If you don't care about the color too much, or if you are willing to work within a group of colors, the factory string will be fine. BTW: Winners Choice is going on some factory offerings.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 01 28, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede, do you think custom strings have no advantage or better quality over strings that come standard on bows? Asking because my nearest bow shop which is an hour and a half drive from me is trying to sell me a $120 ABB string that they insist will bring me to Robin Hood status, and have 2-3x the life.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 29, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I’ve shot Fuse, WC and VaperTrail strings. Just had a set of VaperTrail put on my Answer last year. IMO hand built strings can very from string to string no matter how hard they try to be consistent. I used to build strings in my shop back in the 80s. Learned a lot about what makes a good string. Consistent tension on not only the strands but also the servings. There is no way that you will not get some degree of serving separation. The serving is done with the string supported between 2 posts, straight line. Then you wrap it over a round cam. Something has to give, you get separation. Do not put glue on it, strands are plastic. Good way to shorten the life on you threads.
Spend the money, wax the crap out of them before they’re installed. Keep them clean and waxed and away from heat and most strings will last several years.
Elkhntr08

Postby jmez » 01 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I second the no super glue on serving knots. Buddy last year started to have some major string issues. Peep kept turning and moving. Finally figured out that where he had glued his serving knots the knot and glue had twisted and worked under the serving. The glue was cutting his string slowly underneath the serving so he couldn't see it.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 01 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I really don't think custom strings are any better than good factory ones. I don't know every manufacturer and what they are using. It is my observation that all new strings I have used are top quality. They last for years. The one I have on my PSE is about 5 years old. I keep it waxed, and it is protected when not in use.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 01 30, 2018 •  [Post 12]

What's the good, bad and ugly on bow strings? Are the $120 ones noticeably better than the $60 ones?

Wow, it HAS been a long time since I bought a bowstring. I think I paid twelve bucks for the last one.
scubohuntr