Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thoughts on bushnell legend 20-60x80 spotter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thoughts on bushnell legend 20-60x80 spotter

Postby robloft » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I'm planning on my first elk hunt and I'm trying to assemble the gear I'll need or might want. What are yalls thoughts on the bushnell legend 20-60x80 spotter? Are there better ones for the money or should I just get binos instead? Will I need both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Re: Thoughts on bushnell legend 20-60x80 spotter

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If you want to lug around a big ole spotter, that's up to you. But the standard for most guys seems to be 10x42 binoculars.

The name Bushnell turns me away from any type of optics. Guess I still remember the old Bushnell Banner rifle scopes that never did hold zero. At least I never saw one that would.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'm not sure what the Bushnell is going for, but you may want to check these out http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=OPSPCC. If I can make it work, I'm figuring on picking up the 20X60 this spring. If packing is a consideration, one of the little 50mm scopes would be better- that big 77mm scope is not a lightweight. I used one of those way back when I used to shoot competition. They're not Kowa or Zeiss, but they're solid workhorse scopes, and I think they're a great deal for the money. I have lots of (regrettably cheap) binoculars, but I still need a spotting scope.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Every once in awhile I buy something with the Bushnell name on it. I always regret it later. The last thing was a range finder. It was junk, that had to be replaced during the hunting season. I could not use it on a buck I had put a stalk on.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Same as Swede here. I have had Bushnell and Tasco spotting scopes. Both went up to 60 X.The problem is a very narrow field of view at that power and the depth of field is hard to adjust because it is so short. I now have a 15-45 Nikon and it is great.You will find that those 60X are about useless because of the problems I mentioned.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Dude do NOT buy a spotter this year. You can see elk with binos a long way off. You aren’t trophy hunting so there’s no need to see details. A lighter colored elk is usually a bull. If it’s separate from the herd that’s a sign too. If he’s chasing women all over the hill it’s a for sure.

But the bigger factor is if you can even use one where you hunt. In my Wyoming spot I carry one every day. A big heavy one too! 20-60X80. I use it every day so it’s worth it. When I hunt my Montana spots it’s not even in camp. I leave it at home. Go hunt and if you see a need for one and plan on going back to that spot then go invest in the best one you can afford. I’d say go to the Elknut Store and buy a Vortex if and when the time comes.

For now buy some darn good 10 by 42 binos because you will need those no matter where you go.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby robloft » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:Dude do NOT buy a spotter this year. You can see elk with binos a long way off. You aren’t trophy hunting so there’s no need to see details. A lighter colored elk is usually a bull. If it’s separate from the herd that’s a sign too. If he’s chasing women all over the hill it’s a for sure.

But the bigger factor is if you can even use one where you hunt. In my Wyoming spot I carry one every day. A big heavy one too! 20-60X80. I use it every day so it’s worth it. When I hunt my Montana spots it’s not even in camp. I leave it at home. Go hunt and if you see a need for one and plan on going back to that spot then go invest in the best one you can afford. I’d say go to the Elknut Store and buy a Vortex if and when the time comes.

For now buy some darn good 10 by 42 binos because you will need those no matter where you go.

What would you consider darn good binos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Brendan » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I'm with the comments above. I bought a spotter in 2014, over the last 4 years in Montana and Wyoming I haven't used it yet. Just extra weight to carry.

Great binos depends on your budget... Swarovski 10x42 EL Range go for the inexpensive price of about $3300, and the 10x42EL for about $2500 :lol:

Personally, I use a pair of Swaro 10x30 CL's. Very lightweight, and can be had used for ~$600. Do double duty as my whitetail binoculars. I've heard great things about Meopta, but haven't used them.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Indian Summer » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 9]

10 X42 is optimal unless you are a bow only hunter in an area that isn’t semi open. In other words all timber.

Don’t forget to look in classified ads here and elsewhere. Guys are upgrading all the time. The best in my opinion.... Swarovski 10x42 EL. Not cheap but they will be the last pair of binos you ever buy. Im a fan of Leupold. A pair of 10x50s are brighter so nicer than comparably priced 10x42s. For even less money Steiner makes super nice binos with a rock solid warranty.

What’s your budget?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby robloft » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I'd like to stay in the 450-500 range if you guys think I can get decent glass for that. if necessary I can go a little more.
robloft

Postby robloft » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer I sent you a PM. Please let me know if you got it. It says it is still in outbox. Not sure why.
robloft