Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

800 to 1000 dollar vortex, leupold, or something else?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

800 to 1000 dollar vortex, leupold, or something else?

Postby robloft » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I'm looking for a new scope to put on a new to me rifle. I am looking at vortex or Leupold in the 800 to 1000 dollar range. Id rather not spend that much but I know quality isn't cheap. has anyone used either company's scopes in this price range? If so which one and how did you like it? What reticle did you get and how did you like it? I am not opposed to other scopes of similar quality but I can get a good deal on either vortex or leupold. Keep in mind the scope doesn't have to be in this range but this was the max I wanted to spend on a scope. Also would be interested in binoculars in the 400 to 500 dollar range from the same companies.
thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Re: 800 to 1000 dollar vortex, leupold, or something else?

Postby pointysticks » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

for that kinda scratch..i would dip my toe into the Nightforce pool.

that 3-10X BHV (?) would be on my hit-list.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby RAMMONT » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

What are you planning to do with the scope, hunting (at what kind of ranges and what kind of animals) or target shooting (at what kind of range), and what caliber rifle?
RAMMONT

Postby Indian Summer » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

RAMMONT wrote:What are you planning to do with the scope, hunting (at what kind of ranges and what kind of animals) or target shooting (at what kind of range), and what caliber rifle?

What he said????

I have nothing but Leupold on every gun I own including shotguns and muzzle loaders.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby robloft » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I'm planning on putting it on a 30-06. It will be a deer and hopefully elk rifle. Probably won't shoot more than 400 yards.

robloft

Postby Lefty » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I own Leopold, Nikon and Redfield
I just bought Leupold Mark Tactical Hunter Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Long Range Duplex Reticle with circle ( not dot) Bullet Drop Compensation
I think Leopold thought they made some mistakes like BDC on tactile :shock: they didnt make many before they quit production Midway had a similar scope for $500

My daughter loves her vortex scope and Binos, Im not a fan of her binos,

I bought Leopold binos in 92, rolled them down a mountain side 600 yards, found them stuck in a tree stump 5 feet high, sent them in,,.. great warranty. They fogged 2 years ago,(2015) returned for warranty,.. next time out,, -20 they failed. They sent me new binos

Buy the type of recital you like!

Check out these guys http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/home even just to get info on scopes
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby RAMMONT » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

robloft wrote:I'm planning on putting it on a 30-06. It will be a deer and hopefully elk rifle. Probably won't shoot more than 400 yards.

With those kind of circumstances I don't see any reason to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on just about any brand of scope. A simple Vortex Crossfire model scope would do the trick very well. On the less expensive end of the spectrum a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 for about $200 would be a very reasonable option, a nice mid-range scope would be the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44, and a top end scope that might be a good option is a Vortex VIPER PST GEN II 2-10X32.

I'd recommend getting a scope with a graduated reticle so that you can adjust for range by simply aiming higher using the reticle markings.

If you'd prefer a Leupold then I'd look for similar powers and objective lens sizes.

Larger scope tubes will improve light transfer through the scope but the objective lens size is the biggest factor that controls scope brightness. The tube size will allow for a larger range of elevation adjustment which means that you can adjust the scope for longer ranges without using an angled picatinny rail.
RAMMONT

Postby Brendan » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

In that price range, I'd recommend a Swarovski Z3 with the BRH reticle. You can get deals on them if you call around.

The biggest difference with good glass is in those first couple minutes, or last couple minutes of light. I've had it make the difference in taking vs. not taking the shot before.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Lefty » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 9]

This is my opinion, in part based on my daughters position selling glass, and lots of hours glassing.
I believe the best value for the money in binos you will pay ( look for glass on sale or clerance) $250-400, Rifle scopes for centerfire $300-700.
Spotting scopes,..yikes!! I have Nikon pack model but I think low end starting at over $700. for simple glass , good coatings , no extras.But in reality more than twice that price. However often binos in the field serve that purpose.
I now only use my spotting scope from the road during the off season,.. Never once the past two seasons did the spotting scope get pulled from the storage locker at camp.
We did use the spotting scope while moose hunting the past 6 years, I would think they are more needed for sheep and goats than elk, and scouting,.. Just my opinion and experience.

Personally I wouldn't look at too many off brands. However if you can find out the equivalent model and manufacture of Cabelas binos sometimes their label can be a bargain. Unfortunately often Cabelas sales people dont know who the manufactures is/was.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Leupold, Vortex and even Tasco have great warrantees and really stand behind their products. I have used Leupold products for decades and in the last ten years have added a couple of Vortex pieces. The Leupold stuff is rugged and holds up flawlessly. It seems to me the Vortex is a little brighter than comparable Leupold glass.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Don’t sleep on Vortex optics. I have a few of them. Crystal clear and solid.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I really like the Leopold vxr with the firedot reticle
Roosiebull

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I have Leupold glass on most of my rifles. One Nikon, don’t care for it. It’s OK, just not great. A couple Zeiss, high ends are great. For my money it’s hard to beat a Leupold. My 30-06 has a 4.5-14x40 and it does everything I need it to.
Elkhntr08

Postby Roosiebull » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Elkhntr08 wrote:I have Leupold glass on most of my rifles. One Nikon, don’t care for it. It’s OK, just not great. A couple Zeiss, high ends are great. For my money it’s hard to beat a Leupold. My 30-06 has a 4.5-14x40 and it does everything I need it to.

I agree, there is better glass than Leopold, but for the money, it's always my choice. I do have a couple Redfield revolutions, one on my wife's 7-08, and one in my AR, they are great for the money, but my primary rifle has a VX2 3-9x40 CDS, for the money it's great. I am going to put it on my AR soon, put my Redfield on my 17hmr, and get a VXR for my 7mag, I have spent some time behind one, and that firedot reticle is amazing!

For scopes, I prefer that 500ish price range or less, binos is where I spend my glass money, to me, it's more important than a rifle scope, but there is certainly no downside to alpha glass on a rifle, just my personal needs.
Roosiebull