Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree stand help

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree stand help

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Youu eastern hunters I need some help selecting a stand.
When I was a kid tree stands could not exceed 6 feet in height in Minnesota. That has changed
While living in northern Utah I built a luxury tree stand out of steel. I put wheels and armes on it and wheeled it to the location I hunted 1100 feet down in elevation and a mile from the trailhead. I used a pulley system to pull the stand up a stately Douglas fir about 35 feet I made a rope harness to tie myself in. I sold that stand and my emergency cache to a neighbor.
Well im in the market for a tree stand for the spring bear hunt. There have been two little bears , that have been on my bait for 3 years,.. now big enough for me to shoot with archery equipment and small enough that I can afford a rug.
I need a stand that I can sit and stand up in when I need to.Physically I have nephropathy in my legs and feet and at time pain associated with that. Im over 6 foot and 235 lbs. Trees Ive selected a climber could be used, but I plan to make a couple ladders for my camera and getting up the 12 feet to the stand.
What should I be looking for in a stand!! whatt should I avoid. What is a better value stand? should I go used ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Tree stand help

Postby Brendan » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Lefty - is this bow or gun? And - is this for a set location for the season? Accessible by ATV or game cart to set it up and haul it down? Or, do you need something lighter and more mobile?

I've used pretty much all of them, and choose a different stand based on the location and even weapon.

If bow - you don't want a shooting rail, or you want a low one that you have no problem shooting over without clearance issues with your bottom limb. If gun - shooting rail helps.

A big ladder stand is the most comfortable, easiest to get in and out of, but hardest to carry in and set up.

Permanent hang on stands with ladders you leave attached to the tree are next up for easy of entry / exit.

Climbers or hang on stands with portable sticks are the most portable, but take the most effort to get in and out of in the dark, and are generally the smallest.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I’ve used my Lone Wolf about 7 years now and have no complaints using it as a run and gun stand. I have the Assault, but the Sit and Climb may work better for you.
I’m looking at a Summit Viper to use for all day hunts. Weighs in at 7# more but think it’ll be worth it for the comfort.
Last thing, do not forget the safety harness. I use a Muddy, easy on and off.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Brendan wrote:A big ladder stand is the most comfortable, easiest to get in and out of

As the Aflec goat says "naa, naa, naa". Ok they are the easiest to get in and out of, but they are very hard or impossible to get stable. After all they are just two rails with rungs running 15 of more feet up and lashed to a tree. Both of mine wiggle and shake some when I move, and are not as comfortable as several good hang-on ones I have. I use extra rope to try to tighten them up on the tree and it helps, but it still nowhere as solid as a good hang-on stand.
Those home made tree house affairs can be nice and comfortable, but they are often the most dangerous. They stay out year after year and deteriorate. One day you climb in and they no longer support your weight and you are on the ground.
As far as stands go I would recommend a Millennium M150 now. They are very comfortable and safe. They are the easiest to hang that I have found.

I know that Lefty asked for an easterner opinion. I live east of the coast range and originally came from North Carolina. Does that count? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Brendan » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

They are a pain in the A** to get situated, but once they are, nothing beats them. I had one that probably weighed 100 - 150 lbs all in that I used for deer season in Pennsylvania. Put it in the same tree every year. What I did was set up screw in steps up the back side of the tree, and then put in a hook that I could use to hoist the ladder stand vertical and hold it in position while I ratcheted that stand in place. Had a blind, swiveling seat with arm rests, shooting rail, and you could install an umbrella over your head.

Of course, after all that work, I'd usually end up shooting my buck in the first 30 minutes of legal shooting light on the first day :lol:

For reference - I have other hang-ons that I leave in place all season, a lone wolf portable hang on and climbing sticks, a lone wolf hand climber, and have used summit climbers in the past... They all have a place.
Brendan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Well if Swede qualifies, I suppose I do as well. I'm originally from southern Illinois. When I started hunting, no one ever heard of a tree stand. We just climbed a white oak tree and found a good limb to sit on. :) My suggestion would be to get a good hang on and a set of climbing sticks.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Great info guys, just some of what I wanted to know.
The walk in is easy, I AtV about 2 miles in then hike in on an old mining road about 1/2 mile. Im willing to pack in any weight, and set up time really wont matter either. I use to work construction and prefer a good solid ladder,.. all the stand ones and tree pegs are getting a pass by me. Ill weld my own steel ladder,.. and if I dont get that done Ill pack in a 20 foot Werner fiberglass extension ladder
I will be archery hunting over a bear bait. My goal is to get above wind on a ridge for these bears they dont like showing themselves when Im around but literally come running when I place bait.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I guess any suggestion east of the Pacific works :D

Brendan.$60 of steel, a my wife's nice boat seat,.. maybe I'll still make my own. A camo wind break would really be nice,.. I dont want to make a stand the the bears will use more than me :lol: I would be thrilled if I killed the blond chocolate the first 30 minutes,. I might go fishing then :lol:

How big of a platform will be needed? I want a very solid stand. And I want to be safe enough to sleep Ill spend some more time on the muddy site,.. Sure is a lot i don't know about stands.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Look at that goofy stand Brendan has. Are you hiding from the critters or trying to kill one? :lol:

Now back to the subject: Size matters to a point. Some of that depends on if you can set your seat back or not. Look at the larger hang on stands at Cabelas or Bass Pro and see how large they are. I suspect the larger you make the base the harder it will be to make steady. If you have a stand that is comfortable like a Hilton executive suite, you may need to guard it with your life.
Swede

Postby Brendan » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 10]

A cheap Hang On Stand you should be able to get for $50 new if you shop around, maybe less. Then, weld up a ladder or buy one, use an ascent rope and a harness and you'd be good to go. Some of the more expensive stands will make you more comfortable with seats that have backs, etc.

Swede wrote:Look at that goofy stand Brendan has. Are you hiding from the critters or trying to kill one? :lol:

Both :D - that stand was used for rifle season only, in an area with antler restrictions. So multiple times I was spending a lot of time up there with deer milling around I couldn't shoot, so it's nice to be able to move your hands without getting busted. Cuts down on the wind too. Makes a difference if you try and spend 6-7 hours up there in late November or Early December.
Brendan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

http://www.docsrecliner.com/accessories.htm

Why don't you build one like this. You could take a snooze and not have to worry about falling out!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Brendan wrote:Both - that stand was used for rifle season only, in an area with antler restrictions. So multiple times I was spending a lot of time up there with deer milling around I couldn't shoot, so it's nice to be able to move your hands without getting busted. Cuts down on the wind too. Makes a difference if you try and spend 6-7 hours up there in late November or Early December.

I knew you would have some kind of flimsy excuse. The next thing you will have us believe is you need the curtain for dressing or undressing. :P
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 19, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I have used quite a few stands. If you are physically able to use a climber, a Summit Viper is a great stand. I have one and it is, by far, the most comfortable stand I have ever used. They have a Goliath model that is larger and rated to 300 lbs or so.

Also, the ladder stands are easy to get up once they are set up but unless you have someone who can set it up for you, you will find that the set up is more physically demanding than using a climber.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I have used two different climbers. A couple of guys in camp bought them, and were thinking they would be great. After one season, I have never seen either one back again. Everyone stays with the hang on stands. The climbers are satisfactory for one or two trips a short ways up a tree, but where we hunt stands day after day, the climbers lose out to the stationary stands. Both climbers were comfortable enough, but if you go far up the tree like we do, you need to guess where the base will be level, and stop there. There is too much taper in the trees for that to be a minor problem. Most likely you will get up about 12-15 feet and you are done, even if you start with your base pointed up at a high angle. We normally go 25+ feet up in the basins where we hunt water holes, so our scent is not coming down to the ground in our hunting area. Just some thoughts on climbers.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote: We normally go 25+ feet up in the basins where we hunt water holes, .
I use to spend my time working off of ladders up high. And my stand in Utah was 35 feet up. That is a long ways in the air.

>>>---WW----> wrote:http://www.docsrecliner.com/accessories.htm
Why don't you build one like this. You could take a snooze and not have to worry about falling out!
Wow some crazy prices. I think Ill build two one for sitting with a rifle and my granddaughter the other for archery.
Lefty

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I used to go pretty far up with a climber. Now I probably average about 16-18 feet up. For deer, that seems plenty.
VT Sasquatch