Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Backcountry Hunt Pack Weight?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Backcountry Hunt Pack Weight?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Allright you backcountry hunters, what does your pack weigh out for say a 5 day hunt? I'm talking pack, tent, bag/quilt, pad, chow, stove, kill kit items, headlamps, extra batteries, first aid items, a few liters of water, extra clothes taken, any personal hygiene items, other items you take, and items attached to your pack (RF, GPS).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Backcountry Hunt Pack Weight?

Postby Tigger » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have wondered that myself. My daypack weighs in around 24 lbs. We will be spiking this year and so I will need to plan a different approach.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Tigger wrote:I have wondered that myself. My daypack weighs in around 24 lbs. We will be spiking this year and so I will need to plan a different approach.

Dean, I'm emailing you an excel spreadsheet that you can plug your item weights into and it'll spit out what your pack is gonna weigh (both in daypack and actual pack in configuration). Let me know if it helps or hurts ;). RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby jmez » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I haven't weighed mine so no idea? I have my list dialed in and I'm not leaving anything out that I'm currently taking. Also not an oz counter that is going to spend an inordinate amount of money to shave oz's. When I first started these back country en devours I used to weigh everything. Now I don't worry about it.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Tigger » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks RJ! Fantastic list! I am going to use it to sort my stuff out. I don't think we will be going for as long as your list is currently set up for, but the concept is the same. I did give you an idea how you can shave off ....significant....weight from your list!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Tigger wrote:Thanks RJ! Fantastic list! I am going to use it to sort my stuff out. I don't think we will be going for as long as your list is currently set up for, but the concept is the same. I did give you an idea how you can shave off ....significant....weight from your list!

No, I'm not going commando or leaving the TP behind! Geesh, some people :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I dont plan to do a true bivy style hunt ever. Illl have a bit more solid spike camp
Without water my fishing pack weighed in at 29 lbs.
swapping out the fishing gear for added hunting gear, another jacket// rain gear and not counting the weight of the bow setup I would be starting about 35- 38 lbs.

My day pack use to be fairly heavy, but I was ready to spend a miserable day or so if I couldn't move before my buddy would make it to me.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 8]

jmez wrote:I haven't weighed mine so no idea? I have my list dialed in and I'm not leaving anything out that I'm currently taking. Also not an oz counter that is going to spend an inordinate amount of money to shave oz's. When I first started these back country en devours I used to weigh everything. Now I don't worry about it.

Likely with your experience you know what your willing to sacrifice and what added weight is worth to you to you.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I've never actually weighed my pack but it typically varies on where and when I hunt and the weather forecast- if there's an abundance of water I go in with a liter or so of water and refill as needed via sawyers filtration system vs packing in a bunch of water. If it's fairly warm and the weather forecast is clear I may chance it with a hammock or bivy sack vs tent to save on some weight and space and pack less insulation. If there is rain in the forecast I'll pack my backpacking rain gear which weighs more and takes up more space than my emergency poncho or frog togs that I just don to hunker down and wait out the rain vs doing any actual backpacking in. Just guessing, during archery in September in my local haunts that have an over-abundance of water my pack weighs around 30# give or take.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Mine is right at 32 pounds. My pack a Kuiu 7200 weighs 5.5 pounds. I have my food per day at 1.2 pounds. Big Angus fly creek is right at 2.5 pounds. Sleeping bag is 2.1 pounds. Viam outdoor game bags just under a pound. Take one extra pair of socks, underwear and baselayer.

First year i went out my pack weighted was 60 pounds. As soon as I got home I started researching and buying. Between just my tent, sleeping bag and pack I lost 11 pounds
Mathewsz7-elkridge