Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

the "what if" in gear. .22 rifle.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

the "what if" in gear. .22 rifle.

Postby pointysticks » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 1]

i got that Savage Mark II FV-SR rifle i posted about. i went in with this thinking:

1. i just need a plain-jane, no frills accurate hunting rifle.
2. i dont want to spend a lot of money.
3. the rifle is just to fill the time between other FUN activities. (big game hunting, bow hunting, etc)

well. i had NO IDEA that the .22lr is that much fun. well, you know what? it is. i have shot so much ammo, it isnt funny. i already put aside money to go hunt Sooty Grouse in Alaska. i have my buddy scouting the Mongolon Rim in AZ for that giant grey squirrel. i seriously think i under-shopped for a rifle. i made the fatal error in shooting my friends CZ 455 Varmint. honestly my stock savage trigger feels better than his, but dayum!! what a rifle!! it feels like a real adult gun. fit and finish is awesome. the wood stock is classic.

i am poking around looking for a CZ 542 American. i am honest here; i dont even know how to approach my wife about it. my lovely wife just helped my buy a one year old carbon hunting bow. she endorse my bid to change over to a left hand bow. she is the most amazing woman to me in the world. she made it possible for me to even think about retirement. i wont poke that badger..

i dont regret the Savage, but i kinda wish i had researched more before making the decision. there are a lot of .22 options out there i didnt consider. my three criteria listed above kinda tainted my way of thinking.

maybe i'll sell my barely shot side by side Beretta shotgun to fund the CZ. :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: the "what if" in gear. .22 rifle.

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Had a Ruger 77/22 target model that was a tack driver. Had enough weight to it that it felt like a rifle, but was easy to pack. Should have my butt kicked for selling it. They are hard to find, still looking for the replacement.
Elkhntr08

Postby wawhitey » 03 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Keep the shotgun, buy the cz, and take your beatings from the wife. Life is short. She may be mad at you for a week or so, but the new gun will last many years.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Yeah, I love shooting rimfires. Those 77/22s and CZ Americans look nice (the Ruger is much better looking in my opinion but CZ are known for accuracy). On of my favorite rifles is my 22 WMR. If you are going to buy another 22, it's worth at least considering the 22 WMR. I don't think I have shot my 22 LR since buying it.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I had a 9422magnum. Loved that rifle, sold it. Bought another a few years back. I’m beginning to see a pattern here.
Elkhntr08

Postby elkstalker » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I love my Mark II, it shoots well, and is a great gun for my kids to practice on. The primary purpose I bought it was for my wife and kids to practice with a bolt action that would get them used to the bolt. That said, I definitely would like to get a higher end, maybe a semi auto, 22 or varmint gun for myself to play with.
elkstalker

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Anyone shooting a .22 Hornet? I like the idea that I can reload it and it has more punch the the .17s.
Elkhntr08

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Not yet but a 22 Hornet will be my next rifle purchase. I haven't done much predator hunting but this past deer season I had a bobcat and a few coyotes near my stands. I shot 1 coyote and it made me want to hunt for more predators. I have a 223 bolt that would be good for coyotes but it would probably do a lot of damage to fox and bobcat. I think a 22 hornet would do a good job on all three within 100 yards or more without ruining the pelts.

VT Sasquatch

Postby Roosiebull » 03 13, 2018 •  [Post 9]

rimfires are addicting! for a few years I had a ruger 10/22, that rifle kind of made me lose interest in 22's, over east shooting sage rats, it just wasn't accurate enough.... I bought a savage 93R in 17hmr and rekindled my love for rimfires.

I am at that same spot as you now, I want something nicer, and a CZ is at the top of that list :D (American as well) i'm trying to decide if I want a 22, or another 17, each has pros and cons.

hard not to buy another 17hmr, they are insane little rounds, but an accurate 22lr is cool too, and grouse can be legally taken with them here, which is nice. I guess I need to go price some 22lr and see if that's the way to go.

I bought my daughter a "Henry mini bolt" for Christmas, I was very impressed with the quality compared to a cricket or savage rascal, the youth Olympic team uses them as well.
Roosiebull

Postby pointysticks » 03 15, 2018 •  [Post 10]

i'm now thinking

17 WSM!! i found a spot for groundsquirrels.
pointysticks

Postby Roosiebull » 03 15, 2018 •  [Post 11]

that is a neat round, probably the best "ground squirrel cartridge" :D i'm just afraid of ammo availability. I see it around, but very little, and most places only have one choice. 17hmr has become very common now. most stores have a bunch on the shelves, as well as options. it may very well be regional too, but that is what I see locally. if I make a spur of the moment trip over east, I want the ability to pick up 1000 rounds on my way (as long as i'm not going for more than a weekend :lol: )

the wsm is a cool little round though! I was going to order a CZ today, but it didn't work out, hoping I have time tomorrow to order one, because i'm going over east for Easter weekend, and want a new rifle for that trip!
Roosiebull

Postby pointysticks » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Roosiebull wrote:that is a neat round, probably the best "ground squirrel cartridge" :D i'm just afraid of ammo availability. I see it around, but very little, and most places only have one choice. 17hmr has become very common now. most stores have a bunch on the shelves, as well as options. it may very well be regional too, but that is what I see locally. if I make a spur of the moment trip over east, I want the ability to pick up 1000 rounds on my way (as long as i'm not going for more than a weekend :lol: )

the wsm is a cool little round though! I was going to order a CZ today, but it didn't work out, hoping I have time tomorrow to order one, because i'm going over east for Easter weekend, and want a new rifle for that trip!

yea..i think it would vaporize ground squirrels.

my buddy has rancher up in Redding begging for shooters. hehe..
pointysticks

Postby Roosiebull » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Just ordered a CZ "varmint" in 17hmr, and just went and grabbed a Nikon Rimfire scope with a BDC reticle, Easter weekend cannot get here soon enough!
Roosiebull

Postby Elkduds » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Marlin 57m, 22 wmr. Full size and weight, great for practicing.

22 mag small.jpg
22 mag small.jpg (116.17 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott