Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Light weight sleeping bag

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Light weight sleeping bag

Postby rowdycwby1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok guys I'm in the market for a good light weight sleeping bag f or a September back country hunt. What are y'all using and what is the weight? I'm new to this so any advice on sleeping pads as well would be greatly appreciated I also don't want to brake the bank on the sleeping bag or pad. Thanks in advance!
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Re: Light weight sleeping bag

Postby pointysticks » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

in life, i am never cold.

unless i am sleeping, then i turn in a frail little old lady...i freeze.

i am running a Western Mountaineering 20 degree bag with Big Agnes Q-core SL. and to be honest, i could be much warmer. i suspect it is my sleeping pad that is causing me to freeze. i recently camped with my wifes sleeping pad and was much warmer. i dont know what she bought herself.

i do know that i am buying a new pad. i am gonna get the Xtherm.

i also just bought a new 10 deg EE quilt. trying to figure it out..but it is so light..i bet 1.5lbs.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Consider a quilt vs. an actual bag. I used a bag for years but converted to a quilt this year. They’re lighter in most cases and have all the insulation properties needed. The VIAM Outdoors insulator quilts are rock solid and reasonably priced (only weigh around 2 LBs). For the bag or quilt (as pointysticks mentioned) don’t be shy on getting a 10 degree rated unit. I’ve had 15 and 20 degree setups that I did not stay warm in when the temps dumped. PADs: I’ve had a Thermarest Pro-Lite Plus pad for quite a few years and it’s worked well. I’m actually looking at picking up a new pad (Klymit Static V Insulated). Highly recommend you only consider an insulated PAD for many reasons. The insulated Klymit Static V only weighs 1.5 LBs and has an R-value of 4.4. Happy Shopping!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Hey boss quilts are wonderful but a quilt with a zipper is warmer :lol:
I picked up with a young engineer hiking the Continental divide trail. I gave him a ride,.. the quilt worked great until it got cold. He was leaving the trail and going to Dillon Mt for a sleeping bag ( and fresh fruit.. Down quilts are wonderful but not my choice by a long shot for fall season.

My brother use to do a lot of cold weather camping and tent camped some years during Minnesota deer hunt. He had an old feather tik(?) and loved it. But it was huge maybe 7 x 8 and heavy

Wednesday I just gave away my non-insulated Static V. many people love the Klymit pads and many companies are wising up to what some want, need like, prefer a wider pad. Klymit makes a 30 inch pad.

I back country hike and pack, but don't bivi hunt that's going too far :o Im not a sales man of any kind for klymit but you should check out their A frame pads for down. Hpwever the fellow we were visiting with also said we were better off with our foam pads which they dont sell.I sleep on insulated self inflating pads when near the truck or solid foam pads when packing in. the technology in some of the pads is amazing. But Im willing to take a bit more weight o be comfortable.

I was just at the ISE show and spent a lot of time and purchased my first down bag https://www.klymit.com/ksb-0-oversized-down-sleeping-bag.html from Klymit There were three of us Scoutmasters that pounded the Scoutmaster salesman with questions. I had purchased two other black Pine / Grizzlie bags which he use to sell. He promised me I would be comfortable in single digit temp wearing Costco merino wool socks, Costco Heater top and bottom, lightweight Sitka hoodie and a foam pad then gave me his personal phone number and said for me to call any time if Im cold he would bring me breakfast and hot chocolate,4 hours from his home if I get cold this week when I camp. ( a snake is still a snake and a salesman still a salesman) The show price was $175.00 . not the $329
I have never liked mummy bags . I tried it out in my hotel room I was impressed. Ill use it this week.
I would never sleep in the Rockies above 6000 feet any month of the year with a bag rated above 20 degrees, yep never
Last year other than Labor day weekend we had snow the rest of September in SE Idaho SW Montana
Mid June we went to Philmont Scout camp in NM . I took my -5 Big Johnson, my wife took her plus 5 Grizzlie bag,. had frost every morning in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and 3 night in Philmot in the uper30's. One night it stayed 60 and we slept on top.
here is a 20 degree bag that I would consider a mt back country baghttps://www.campsaver.com/klymit-campsaver-ksb-20-down-sleeping-bag.html

A bit heavier in weight 0 rated, Kings has a bag that is Hollowfill on the bottom and down on top 82 inche sx 34 ( i Think) $80 on clearance right now I would say that would be a good June to the end of September Rocky Mt bag.
Last year I spent 60 nights in the back of my truck in a sleeping bag, the past 2 years over 100 nights on the ground or in a tent.

Maybe someday someone will create a truly integrated lightweight warm pad and lightweight fill and materials that compresses into a small package.
My pad weighs 14 oz. bag 3 lbs 8 oz. and my wifes 2 man tent under4 lbs , our three man 3 season tent is 6 lbs and a value priced Teton 3700 pack at 4 lbs
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I just checked Kings site; that bag was not listed
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

This is really a hard question to answer. Some people sleep warm and others sleep cold. My wife always has a big heavy comforter and I very rarely have any type of cover at all. For camping, I like my Big Agnes 15* bag and a good insulated pad. The Big Agnes has no insulation at all in the bottom and that saves a little weight. But it does have a pocket you can slip you pad in to so there is never any worry about rolling off the pad in the middle of the night. It's sort of like having a quilt and a bag all rolled into one!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 03 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

>>>---WW----> wrote:,,,, Some people sleep warm and others sleep cold.,,,,,,!

When I was younger I used a 20 degree bag and slept in just bottom underwear. . Not anymore I pile on the slepwear
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I would go with a 0 degree bag. It is a lot easier to open a warm bag to let a little cool air in ,than to get up in the middle of the night to put on more clothes so you can warm up. The temperatures for which bags are rated, are just marginal survival ratings. Even new, that is not the temperature where you will be comfortable. After the first use it may not be the survivable temperature you can endure without significant supplemental covering.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:I would go with a 0 degree bag. It is a lot easier to open a warm bag to let a little cool air in ,than to get up in the middle of the night to put on more clothes so you can warm up.
Better bags have zip up zippers for that reason
The temperatures for which bags are rated, are just marginal survival ratings. Even new, that is not the temperature where you will be comfortable.
Ive been told there are three ratings. I believe what Swede stated is called the "extreme rating,.. and most lesser expensive bags use that testing for a 6.5 hours testing ( the Klymit I bought was an 8 hour comfort rating,.. basically you will start to be uncomfortable at 8 hours.
After the first use it may not be the survivable temperature you can endure without significant supplemental covering.

The poly fills such as Hollow-fill break down faster than down, down is nearly worthless when wet , even the new treated downs. The poly fills. Im not sure how resistant Perma-loft and similar product break down. Polar lite claims to be resistant to wear. But my daughter was cold in her womens Teton bag at 40 degrees wearing plenty of sleep wear. Next year she will be double bagging.

Most people neglect , forget, or don't know how important an insulating pad is when in a sleeping bag, especially for down. .

When I sleep in my truck I have a military high tech R10- foam pad, Indoor outdoor carpet that when sandwiched adds another R 1 plus. then a Cabelas pad with a claimed rating of R 6. Remember R rate measurement varies so much in self inflating pads, moving on your pad constantly diminishes the insulating value.
When my wife sleeps with me we have memory foam, that I believe does not add much or any insulation value ( adding to what is below us on its own Im sure it adds some R value.) but may be giving us more comfort than most at home mattresses.

Swede when I lived on the wet side I completely steered clear of down,.. I was afraid of getting the bad damp or wet.
I had a scout whose snow cave collapsed, early on a warm Klondyke camp out. He had an expensive high tech poly fill bag. the snow and rain soaked in his bag all night. at 5 AM he woke me telling me he was cold,.. the kid was soaked,.. Put some dry clothes on him , Drained over a gallon of water from the bag, tosseed the bag on my truck heat and less than an hour the bag was dry.
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Don't (err, I mean do) sleep on those quilts! Yep, they snap vs zip up but work just fine and dandy. Crawl in, snap up, and roll those snaps "underneath" your stinky elk hunting bag o' bones (on top of that nicely insulated mattress) and you're golden if you're worried about losing heat. I like em cause they're lighter and more compressible than the bags, and, oftentimes roomier (I am not a fan of the mummy bags.... yak). I haven't tested my new quilt under extreme conditions yet but I'm pretty sure it'll be up to the mark. Heck, I oftentimes don't even zip up a bag when it has a zipper ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 11]

This whole conversation reminds me of my first eastern Oregon deer hunt. I was an excited 12 year old. The first night in camp dad had me in an old army sleeping bag. I was snug and warm as I slept with my rifle in the bag with me. I knew it would be cold in the morning and I didn't want my gun to be cold when I started out. Well dad was warm in his bag too, but about midnight a friend that was invited along, started saying "Carl, Carl, CARL". Dad responded with "whaaat"? Tom, the guest said, I'm cold, I'm cold". Dad said "then get up and build a fire", and rolled over and went back to sleep. I don't know if Tom built a fire or not. I went back to sleep and did not awaken until dad shook me about 1 hour before daylight.
Anyway the cold bag problem is not new. That was over 58 years ago.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:This whole conversation reminds me of my first eastern Oregon deer hunt. .

My brother and a friend came up to my dads deer camp in northern MN, but couldnt find the camp so they tossed out their bags on bare ground, my brother woke with hypothermia so bad he couldnt talk and barely move,.. he kept rolling around on the ground grunting while our friend thought a bear was rolling him around.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Lefty wrote: My brother and a friend came up to my dads deer camp in northern MN, but couldnt find the camp so they tossed out their bags on bare ground, my brother woke with hypothermia so bad he couldnt talk and barely move,.. he kept rolling around on the ground grunting while our friend thought a bear was rolling him around.

Do you suppose your brother had one of those 20 degree bags and took the rating at face value? It is a wonder he survived. I have a -35 degree bag. It is about right at +35 degrees, but is ok at 20 degrees. I sleep in sweat pants and sweat shirt.
Swede

Postby jmez » 03 23, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Big Agnes Q core insulated UL pad: 22oz
Western Mountaineering Alpinlite bag 20 degree: 1lb 13 oz
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby rowdycwby1 » 03 23, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and advice!
rowdycwby1

Postby Lefty » 03 25, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:Do you suppose your brother had one of those 20 degree bags and took the rating at face value? It is a wonder he survived. I have a -35 degree bag. It is about right at +35 degrees, but is ok at 20 degrees. I sleep in sweat pants and sweat shirt.
He slept on the bare ground in the bag he used while living in Alaska. The bag was top end for the time and good enough. But was sleeping without a pad on gravel
He later explained he should have got up when he first awoke being chilled , but he thought he would be getting up shortly.

The bag I bought last week rated for 0. Upper 20s Friday and I had the neck baffle/collar open, sometimes with my arm out of the bag and the side zipper down 10"- 20" with socks thin Costco Heater long johns bottom and a T shirt. I slept plenty warm.
With good 2 thin layers of long underwear, a thin hoody and socks. in a tent/bivy Ill sleep to 0 just fine without pulling the mummy hood tight Ill expect I'll find 20 degrees this week and see how it does. For a while anyway the new bag will only be used sleeping away from the truck, back country stuff. Swede my wife will be 64 this year and she wants to do a couple 1 night pack in trips,.. Well be moving slow, I thin Ill be caring he share of the camp and food
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Lefty, I hope you two have a great time out. It is great your wife will go with you still.
I have no problem with new bags. Mine has been through the washing machine several times now. I clean it every year. That takes care or the odor that has built up after one or two scouting trips plus a 35-40 day long hunting trip. It is not the bag it once was. Certainly a good pad helps keep you warm.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 27, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:Lefty, I hope you two have a great time out. It is great your wife will go with you still.
I have no problem with new bags. Mine has been through the washing machine several times now. I clean it every year. That takes care or the odor that has built up after one or two scouting trips plus a 35-40 day long hunting trip. It is not the bag it once was. Certainly a good pad helps keep you warm.

Im sure you know the key to my wife camping now is keeping her warm and happy!!
A thought just came to me,.. My in laws go to Yellowstone every year for the past 64 years to Yellowstone for their Anniversary. Maybe for your anniversary that could work,.. and your wife just drop you off in Idaho her way home 8-)
Lefty

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 08, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I have a bunch of bags. I like the synthetic bags when weight is not an issue. I have a few down bags for when I need something light and more compressible. I have a Marmot rated for +4 F that I use in temps into the higher 20s (I am prone to getting cold). I also have a North Face Inferno -20 F that I use if it is going to be colder than 25 F. I have never had it below tero but it has kept me warm in single digits.
VT Sasquatch

Postby CurlyTail » 04 09, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I hunt Colorado, and in September it is more often 45 degrees than 20 degrees. I would get a 15 degree bag. Of course, one weekend in the Month of September it will snow and get down to 20.

But remember that all sleeping bags are useless without an insulated pad beneath you. Make sure your pad has some insulation or you will get cold even in an excellent quality bag. The sleeping pad is first and foremost for warmth, and secondary for padding/comfort.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby rowdycwby1 » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Has anyone have experience with a canvas cutter?
rowdycwby1