Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spares

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spares

Postby Navesgane » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What all of do you carry spares of? Be it in your pack or vehicle while hunting? If I'm hunting any distance from home I'll bring my spare bow in my truck. In my pack I'll carry a spare knife, release, socks, mouth reeds, beanie or hat, batteries and headlamp, water purification tabs in case something happens with my filter, lighters,... probably a few things I'm missing here...
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Spares

Postby wawhitey » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I carry spare batteries, and spare release or magazine, depending on arch or rifle hunting. 2 lights, 2 fire starting methods. Extra pair of wool socks in pack if wet weather. Wet feet will ruin a hunt. Next year im going to buy a new bow, do an upgrade, then ill keep my current bow as a spare in my truck. So if the worst happens, ill just lose a day hiking back to my rig to grab my backup bow.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby jmez » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Spare headlamp and release.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Lefty » 03 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

boots clothes, calls water camera tires .
When I was hunting the desert I kept a spare tire and tent stakes at my camp site, the spare tire in its carrier under the truck and one in the back. Ive never had three flats on a trip but maybe 6 or 7 where Ive blown two tires Old railroad beds and obsidian and lava are hard on tires.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby jmez » 03 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I don't pack any spare batteries. I change all of them in headlamps and GPS the night before I leave. If i need a spare I can take them from the extra headlamp. All of my electric devices use the same size battery.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 03 23, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Batteris and an extra lighter. You never know.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 03 23, 2018 •  [Post 7]

socks, 2 lighters, 1 set of extra batteries, release, 2 extra PB&J sammies, a couple extra reeds and that is all I can think of. Oh, extra arrows too!
Tigger

Postby ishy » 03 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Maybe I'm not in good enough shape, but I don't carry any spares in my pack.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 03 24, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Since I am gone for over a month, I carry a lot of things that are either spares or what I will be using next. I usually have too much and need to begin to cut back some. I have everything I see mentioned above.
Lefty, I used to have a lot of tire problems too. I went to 10 ply tires from Les Schwab. I know that I could still get a tire punctured, but there have been no emergency trips to town to repair a flat since I got rid of the factory installed ones. The only down side to the heavy tires is about two miles per gallon on the fuel economy. There is a reason the pickup manufacturers put those hen skin tires on a new truck. They just don't work well for long when you are going off road, or on old roads scraped out of the rock by some logger. "Built Ford tough" using tires with about the same number of plies as my toilet paper is a recipe for extra trips to town. I hope you are not walking a lot more than planned. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics