Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2018 Upgrades?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2018 Upgrades?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Well, did you do any gear upgrades (or grab some new gear needed) for the 2018 big game season?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 2018 Upgrades?

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

It may not be an "upgrade" but I am getting rid of my travel trailer and going with wall tent. It should be a little more versatile. I also got a new pack frame like the one I borrowed from Oly last season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Got my EXO K3500 last year and 2018 will be it’s first hunting trip. Love breaking it in.
Elkhntr08

Postby Tigger » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

A couple of pieces of Sitka gear. And I am thinking about new arrows. That is about it I think, but I still look around a little.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Well I guess a new Sitka hoody, , likely some lightweight hike boots, a 0 rated down backpack bag , packing 3 man tent, new rear glass on my leer camp :oops: :cry: Goldtip Nugent arrows last yer that Ive cut but haven't used.
I might finish making a cordura wall tent, And I will be getting the Elknut app!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 03 30, 2018 •  [Post 6]

i'm hiking up machu Picchu in PERU this summer, which is WINTER there.

i upgraded my sleeping pad. my BS SL wasnt cutting here. i got the higher R-rated Xtherm to go with my 10 deg quilt. my wife is using my WM bag. her pad is damn warm.

this will be the first season using my Mystery Ranch Metcalf..but i have not pinned down a backpack hunt yet. still all car camping thusfar.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Rock Stick or Fish » 03 31, 2018 •  [Post 7]

First real change of the year. Picked up a dozen CE PileDrivers. With 125gr heads I'm right at 500gr, up from 425ish last year.

I'll probably be shooting for a draw weight of ~70 lbs up from 60 last year.

Also planning on hunting out of the Subaru this year. 95% of my hunting driving seems to be highway drones followed by gravel roads, so I want to make that as comfy as possible. Having Lisa draw up a Hatchbackhunting logo to slap on it.
Rock Stick or Fish

Postby pointysticks » 03 31, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Oh I forgot.

I am switching over to a left-hand bow this year. Pretty big deal for me.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Navesgane » 03 31, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Nothing yet, but it's still early
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Brendan » 04 01, 2018 •  [Post 10]

A whole bunch for me. Trying to make sure I don't end up with more stuff, just better stuff for me and clearing out what I don't use.

For whitetail - sold 4 tree stands, moving towards being more mobile with fewer stands.

Sold my hitch carrier, may replace it with a small trailer in the future, but trying to keep everything inside the truck.

Sold my big cooler, replacing with smaller ones that are easier to move around. Got a Yeti 105 for $90...

Sold my Kodiak Canvas and replaced with a seek outside Tipi for base camp. Not quite as comfortable, but lighter, packs smaller, easier to deal with solo, and can still use my propane stove...

Sold a rifle, bought a rifle. Sold all the parts for a second rifle, and then bought a turkey / waterfowl gun.

Have my 2 bows for sale and have a new one on order... Maybe 2 depending on what sells.

Bought one hinge release, and am looking for a second...

Sold a bunch of Broadheads I don't see myself using going forward, will need to pick up some new fixed blades.

Sold my Inreach and primary rangefinder - will need to replace those but haven't done it yet.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 02, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Ha, sounds like me Brendan! I sold and bought a chunk of stuff in the past few months.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Maybe my most important purchase: Hearing aids. My daughter heard nearly 3 times as many different bugles. And some were close.
We found a sweet little pocket full of bulls and cows the last day of our hunt. I sent my daughter the wrong way,.. because I only saw a cow 60 yards off

I just had carpel tunnel sugary yesterday,.. My keyboarding is already better. Hasn't improve my grammar or writing abilities any! :lol:
Im really do expect my shooting to improve. Last fall I quickly realized I wasn't shooting rifle very good. My trigger pull was inconsistent my groups at 100 grew an inch.
And even worse my groups archery shooting got worse too.
So my ears and wrists are upgraded!!!
Lefty

Postby Brendan » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Sold some more stuff today. Said goodbye to a scope I don't need, and some more archery accessories. Next up is to start liquidating stuff from a prior hobby - the project car that's been sitting in the garage for years :shock:

Actually thinking about buying a mountain bike to broaden my exercise / cross training opportunities, because my knees have started to not like running so much...
Brendan

Postby Navesgane » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I just ordered a "be the decoy" antelope um.. hat, helmet thing. Seen randy newberg using it on his show
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkduds » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Trying a Kodiak Canvas base camp tent instead of the wall tent this year. Don't know if it is an upgrade yet. Also got a LuxuryLite cot from CL, will test that on summer pack trips.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Brendan » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Elkduds wrote:Trying a Kodiak Canvas base camp tent instead of the wall tent this year. Don't know if it is an upgrade yet. Also got a LuxuryLite cot from CL, will test that on summer pack trips.

So I've used both of the above for the last 2 years. You can put a stove jack and a propane stove in the Kodiak If you want - makes it really cozy. Need about 20 minutes if you're hustling to unpack and put it up solo. My guess is it is lighter, packs smaller, goes up easier than a wall tent, but that a wall tent would be more comfortable and customizable.

I used a Helinox Cot - definitely worth packing into spike camp, but if the weather's cold you still need to bring a pad.
Brendan

Postby BrowTines » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Major upgrade year - upgrading my bow, sight and arrows.
Hopefully overhaul my shoulder: doing daily physio - injured from lack of activity and then the heavy snow shovelling. ...but I am confident I will get it back into shape in a month or so.
Hopefully it won't be as dry this year so we can get out and hunt (this last Fall, even the public land was shutdown because of the threat of fires).
BrowTines

Postby Rock Stick or Fish » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Put the lightest of the real AT tires on the subaru. Tested the rig on a quick jaunt to MT, and it is really nice driving a car 600 miles in a day.

Joined RMEF, bought the Team Pack.

Spent a bunch of time as a decoy schlepper for Turkey in light snow. Bought new gloves and a hand warmer, which I shouldn't need for OR elk hunting, but you never know.

Going to get some fresh threads for Lisa's bow.
Rock Stick or Fish

Postby CurlyTail » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 19]

My biggest upgrade is a new Left hip. Hoping to have it rehabed in time for September or die trying.

I am also changing arrows - going to try the Black Eagle Spartans - for their components (steel inserts, nock inserts, brass weight for FOC ) and mainly to get out of outserts on my current Victory VAPs which are not all spinning like they used too - and the new Iron Will Broadheads which have me excited to try. I am hoping something new and shiny will get me fired up to shoot my bow this summer.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 20]

CurlyTail wrote:My biggest upgrade is a new Left hip. Hoping to have it rehabed in time for September or die trying..
My suregeon had me riding my ATV for therapy in 10 days,.. said I could ride horse too,.. but I wouldnt trust my wifes horse enough.
Walk wak and walk some more was my therapy
I had my hip done in June and was hunting the mountains in September. I started archery elk hunting 5 years earlier in the nearly flat desert, unable to sidehill with out so much distracting pain so I hunted the desert.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Tent 001x2.jpg
Here is the 2018 upgrade I mentioned earlier.
Tent 001x2.jpg (251.64 KiB) Viewed 10132 times

It has been a beautiful day here to check out the tent. It sure looks perfect to me. It took me about 20 minutes to gather everything and set it up by myself. Thanks Wall Tent Shop.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Sweet! When are you running power out to your new man cave in the back yard? :). It’s bigger than my first apartment. What’s the size of that primo elk camp dwelling?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 23]

The tent is 12X14. I should be able to squeeze you in RJ if you ever hunt Oregon. I have the tent I took to Idaho also, and will use it for storage or ??? Don't worry about getting cold either. I did not set the wood stove up, but it is ready to go. We can build a fire, dry off our boots and swap hunting stories.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Damn swede, i just cant help but see how nice your lawn looks. Come on over and do that to mine if youre bored. Mines a buncha turkey scratched crab grass covered in deer turds. Yours looks like a friggin ball field.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 25]

You can easily tell how I fertilized with a roller spreader. I will mow again tomorrow.
Swede

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Nothing major is changing for this year but did upgrade my base camp to a 24ft camper.
dotman

Postby Jhg » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 27]

I upgraded my attitude. 2 yrs ago I tore my rotator cuff. (I'm a 59yr old arborist) Recovery was brutal- I refused surgery or cortizone injections. Everything I read was a loss of strength going that route over rehab without those measures. Obviously the tear was not complete. Anyway, I am finally almost full strength again. Last year was iffy and I could not shoot my recurve anywhere near the way I am accustomed. But its all good now. Hearing the scar tissue break apart as I increased range of motion during rehab was interesting. Thankfully my doc told me to expect that. He was great and totally understood the perspective of an athletic patient with the willingness to take some pain along with the work of the rehab.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 28]

Congrats Jhg. Hard work is not painless, but is satisfying. Good for you.
Swede