Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cell Phone Charger in the Back Country?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cell Phone Charger in the Back Country?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

For those of you who use your cell phone "way back in there" for your GPS, what do you take/use as a charger? Inquiring minds want to know ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Cell Phone Charger in the Back Country?

Postby Lefty » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My wife has extra batteries thye hold what is equal to about 4 .5 full charges. I also bought a solar pannal $16.00 at Harbor freight,.. for topping off my c-pap battery
Some guys go all out And I think my wife is headed this way https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-kits/
She is too much of a techie Kind kind of wierd a couple of each ,notebooks, I-pad, phones, Kindles,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Brendan » 04 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I use a dark energy poseidon battery pack. If I'm hunting in a spike camp or going for a longer period of time I'll bring a goal zero solar panel, and let it charge the battery pack while I'm gone during the day, then recharge phone over night.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Navesgane » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I bought a few cheap ones from the dollar store a few years ago that were lightweight. One started smoking when I was charging it and the other lasted all of three charges before it died. After that I spent some money on some goal zero ones which have been great.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby scubohuntr » 04 04, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I got a battery pack that's supposed to do 7 charges on the phone or 4 on a tablet. I would have just left the phone off, but OnXMaps... I already have the phone, my GPS is too ancient for a chip, and I can't afford a new GPS. So I'll be navigating by phone and using the tablet for strategy in camp. I might pick up a solar panel so the battery pack can be charging up at camp during the day. Of course, depending on a solar panel is the best way I know of to ensure rain, snow or eclipses.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

If you have cell phone reception, you are obviously in the wrong area. Besides cell phones are like an umbilical cord. At some time we should all disconnect. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BigNasty » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:At some time we should all disconnect.

THIS is exactly the part I am looking forward to.... and Elk of course
BigNasty

Postby scubohuntr » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I definitely don't want to be hunting where there is cell reception, with the possible exception of B tag/predation cow hunts, but the cell phone makes a pretty decent GPS even without cell reception. Just make sure all your basemaps are downloaded before you leave home.
scubohuntr

Postby Navesgane » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:If you have cell phone reception, you are obviously in the wrong area. Besides cell phones are like an umbilical cord. At some time we should all disconnect. :lol:

As much as I hate to admit it, I utilize my phone for way too much, even when hunting in areas without cell service. Camera, mapping, note taking, digiscoping, alarm, etc
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff