Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

150 grain Barnes TTSX vs 180 grain Accubond?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

150 grain Barnes TTSX vs 180 grain Accubond?

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I want to stock up on some elk ammo for my 30/06. Assuming accuracy is the same, would you go with 150 TTSX at 2970 fps or 180 Accubonds at 2750 fps? Why? Thanks
VT Sasquatch

Re: 150 grain Barnes TTSX vs 180 grain Accubond?

Postby Elkduds » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Which one is most accurate in your rifle?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I knew that was coming. That’s why I said “assuming accuracy is the same.” I guess I could buy a bunch of both but I have never had accuracy problems with either bullet.

The reason I am asking is because I have heard stories of Barnes failing to expand. I had it happen with a 150g TTSX out of a 308 Win but that was on an average-sized/smallish PA whitetail buck (121 lbs dressed). The buck walked about 40 yards and dropped but didn’t leave a blood trail. It was a shot through the lungs/ribs so the bullet probably didn’t have much resistance. A high shoulder shot may have caused better expansion. I figure an elk is sturdier so I probably wouldn’t have that issue.

Thoughts?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Elkduds » 04 05, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My duh, didn't see "equal accuracy" in OP. Seems we agree that accurate shot placement far outweighs the difference in performance between these bullets.

That said, my take on the difference between these bullets is the expected velocity when bullet meets elk. That is a function of muzzle velocity and distance to target. To greatly simplify, under 400 yards I like the 180, the 150 past that. Since 90+% of (accurate) shots on game are under 300 yds, load up w 180s. Keep a Barney Fife Barnes round in your pocket you can slide in should you be unable to resist the urge to take a long poke. The Barnes will have a flatter trajectory past 300, so you get to account for that.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks. My thought was the lighter Barnes would be faster and it would have sufficient impact velocity to open well and will retain weight. The heavier 180 will have more bullet drop initially but will retain energy and velocity longer, buck the wind better (not a big thing at the ranges I would shoot) and they need less speep for bullet expansion.

I decided to buy 3 boxes of AccuBonds. If the accuracy isn’t good, then I’ll try the Barnes.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 6]

You cant go wrong with either. Doesn't help on the decision making, but that is the truth. TTSXs have an outstanding reputation and I would treat your experience as the outlier. I use 180 TTSXs...best of both worlds (not a 30/06 though).
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Consider the type of cover will you be shooting and your shot distance. and maybe what else will you be using them on? Why not different loads if you shoot a bunch?
Me overall I tend to like heavier bullets for the energy they deliver.With a 30 cal I would go to the 180's in most situations and know what to do at the longer distances I tend to sight in my rifles at 250 yards. then hold for distance.
Ive shot one long distant cow elk, my daughter a sweet 425, 427 yard antelope shot, the rest of our big game has been under 250.

My elk loads in my 7mm will be 160 accu bonds also for deer and bear. :lol: But Ive been using arrows for 9 years 8-) But I will also put together a 120 Accubond load for coyote antelope and deer.

Other than elk my wifes and daughters loads in her 30-06 will all be 160 mostly due to recoil, I have 120 and 140 Particians for them also.

Most important" putting the bullet where it needs to be.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Neither.Go to Shooters Pro Shop.com and you can get discontinued,overruns, blems, and seconds for 1/2 the cost that shoot the same as 1st runs . I shoot 180 GR 30 cal Partitions in my .06 that I bought for $13 /50.
I always go heavy for caliber with my elk bullets as I get consistent penetration and expansion .I don't drink the Koolaid of Barnes bullets.Too many specifics to worry about.

Partitions are the bullets that all other bullets are compared to.They flat out work and you don't have to worry about what velocity they are use at
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 9]

saddlesore wrote:Neither.Go to Shooters Pro Shop.com and you can get discontinued,overruns, blems, and seconds for 1/2 the cost that shoot the same as 1st runs . I shoot 180 GR 30 cal Partitions in my .06 that I bought for $13 /50.

Nice. I like what I see on their site. I may even see if they'd like to be a sponsor on our humble hunting forum ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Thanks Saddlesore. I’ll check it out. I don’t handload so I’ll have to see if they sell loaded ammo. I know Partitions are known to be great bullets. I have read quite a few times that they are not especially accurate. I‘ll have to give them a try. I am not a great marksman so I need all the help I can get.
VT Sasquatch

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 08, 2018 •  [Post 11]

VT Sasquatch wrote:Thanks Saddlesore. I’ll check it out. I don’t handload so I’ll have to see if they sell loaded ammo. I know Partitions are known to be great bullets. I have read quite a few times that they are not especially accurate. I‘ll have to give them a try. I am not a great marksman so I need all the help I can get.

VT, I was on there yesterday and they do sell loaded boxes of ammo. I may order a box of their .308s and see how they do in my rifle.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... -ammo.html
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby BullRun » 06 04, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I shoot 180Gr TTSX out of my 300 Win Mag. We tested them on whitetail for a season before taking them out...and also had allot of through-and-through shots. No expansion.

HOWEVER...I've used them on elk the last 5 years and they are just great! First one shot with the Barnes was 101 yards...took 5 steps and dropped. Second one was at 427 yards...stood in his tracks for 10 seconds and toppled. I found the bullet in the second bull and it had expanded nicely. Others, similar stories. I've heart shot a couple, and broken a shoulder on another...bullet did the trick in all cases.

Our conclusion...we don't use them on thinner skinned animals. Seems they get the perfect expansion on thicker skinned critters...like elk :D

As for accuracy, l have a custom turret for my whitetail load and one for my elk load. I pop the 180Gr TTSX turret on my Vortex before elk season, go out to the range and shoot a few confirmation rounds. Spot on out to 800 yards...every time.
BullRun

Postby Lefty » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 13]

saddlesore wrote:,.....I always go heavy for caliber with my elk bullets as I get consistent penetration and expansion .,.....t

I like my bullets heavy for those exact reasons,,,,, and my arrows lighter for flatter shooting
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I've shot 180 Accubond out of my 300 Win Mag and then switched to 180 Barnes TTSX. For me I like 180 grains.

In your situation, both are quality bullets - shoot whichever one you decide you like best. They are both more than capable of performing lethal work on an elk.

--Mitch
Old school