Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Whats in my boot?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Whats in my boot?

Postby the weasel » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Soooo, looking at new boots / hiking shoe for the up coming season(s). I don't have a car or kidney to sell, so Zamberlans and such are out of the question.....I want a good bang for my $150.00 (ish) I'm allowing myself to spend. I'm a short hiker,5-10 miles per day. Sometimes I treestand hunt also. I hunt mostly Central OR and Eastern OR. so "waterproof" is not always on the top of my list, nor is Insulated really. So.... just asking what the group likes in there boots / shoes.
the weasel

First Name: john

Re: Whats in my boot?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Danner Pronghorns should fit the bill.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I like Danners and have purchased quite a few over the years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I've got Danners, Vasques, and Keens that have worked out pretty well. I try to stay in the same price range you mentioned, although the Vasques with 1200 gram Thinsulate went a bit over (but I've used 'em hard for over 30 years). I'd love to be able to afford Schnees or Kenetreks, but alas, it's not to be.
scubohuntr

Postby pointysticks » 04 11, 2018 •  [Post 5]

not a fan of Pronghorns (easy, just me and my opinion). had an entire sole come apart once..thankfully in my garage. and five guys..four of them leaked on an elkhunt.

i think light duty..the Lowa Renegades have been my best boot. super comfy..i jogged in them once. light, waterproof..lifespan was questionable. they only lasted 3 years with me wearing them ONLY for hunting. i'm now trying the the Soloman Quest things..stiffer, waterproof (so far). i'll try to kill them in Peru this summer.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 6]

My daughters each have Solumons.

Also check out campsaver.com on line for closeouts
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I LIKE IRISH SETTER MENS VAPRTREK
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I have had Gore-tex lined Danners for many years. I have never had one fall apart in any way, but they soak up water after a couple of seasons of use. I have one pair now I purchased in 2003, and a newer pair I bought about 5 years ago. I still wear the old ones the most.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 04 13, 2018 •  [Post 9]

dont get me wrong..i love danners. my work boot is 100% Danner (the Quarry)

my first pair of danners, funny story:
i was visiting orlando florida. getting ready to get on a cruise ship. i was just driving around and the GF and i see BASS PRO SHOPS!! screech!! it was my first ever visit and my mind just about exploded. i spend hours there. for my efforts my GF and i both picked up Danners. we get up to the cashier and the lady was upset..she was so visibly upset we walked up to her counter..she slides my boots over without ringing them up..i said, "excuse me maam, you may have made a mistake"
"mistake!!??, that's what wrong with YOU PEOPLE! you think you know it all"
"i said, "you people?", how did you know we were from California?"

she imploded..her face got all red. her manager walked up and asked if everything was okay. i said..perfect. that lady was so mad she neglected to ring up a few things included my boots. she bagged them up in huff and i walked out. i was gonna tell the manager but WTF..

those boots lasted me 11 seasons.

my second pair..were the Pronghorns that came apart.

now? i love the boots coming out of the USA made division. super super great.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 04 15, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Love my cabelas meindl boot. Life time warranty and east to brake in. Great support and no blisters to date. You might have to spend a little more then $150 unless you catch a sale.

Did 15 miles one day last year with no issues. They seem to dry out quick too.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Roosiebull » 04 18, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Look at Sierra trading post for really good deals on boots (Look under hiking boots)

I still like pronghorn, maybe I have just been lucky, but they hold up as good as anything for me (year and a half normally)
Roosiebull

Postby Grousewit » 04 18, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Red Wing IS Elk Trackers. I think u can get different levels of Thinsulate and I really like the sole. And I had Danners for last 20 yrs.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit