Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Deodorant?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Deodorant?

Postby six » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Just trimming some fat off my pack. Do you bivi hunters take deodorant with you? I'm thinking after 6 days chasing elk stink is going to be stink.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Re: Deodorant?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I do when I backpack hunt. I carry a few items for personnel hygiene (small container of concentrated liquid "all purpose" soap, T-brush/paste, scent free deodorant, and enough unscented moist towlettes aka baby wipes to serve their "purpose" each day). I'll also throw in a tiny container of foot powder sometimes.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Navesgane » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I don't carry deodorant but I do like to pack either a small microfiber towel with scent killer soap bar that I cut in 3rds and only carry one of the 3rds-the entire bar is way to large for one person-or I'll brings some scent killer wipes. I don't do this to try to eliminate my scent and be scent-invisible to elk but it is refreshing to clean up either after a long day of hunting or early while heating up some coffee in the jetboil, and the scent killer stuff does a good job at knocking out the extreme funk and lasts a good while. If I'm heating up coffe, I'll heat up a cup of water (usually nearby creek) to wash off with the towel. If im using wipes, I'll keep them in a chest or hip pocket to get them to body temp.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Swede » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Yes. I take time to clean up every day. I am more interested in satisfying my nose than offending an elk's.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I take a small sample of fragrance free deodorant. At WalMart, they have an isle with all sorts of travel sized products (tiny), I just get one that is fragrance free.

If it is hot, there is nothing more invigorating that a dunking in the local stream. Just need to find a spot large enough to lay down in. Only if it is hot out, and it usually is mid afternoon.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Brendan » 04 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

No. Wear merino, bring dried out body wipes for a small "bath" when needed.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby saddlesore » 04 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I'm not too worried about weight since I have my mule to carry stuff. However, I don't believe noscent deodorants are noscent to elk.If I am in a spartan camp where weight is factor,I carry a collapsible basin and scent free soap. I heat water every night and do a sponge bath including my hair.I have found that keeping clean and practicing personal hygiene lets me feel better and keeps me healthier thru out the hunt
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby jmez » 04 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I don't anymore. I took some the first couple of trips and after a few days it didn't really matter and I quit using it. No longer take it a long.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby stumpy waters » 04 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

saddlesore wrote:I'm not too worried about weight since I have my mule to carry stuff. However, I don't believe noscent deodorants are noscent to elk.If I am in a spartan camp where weight is factor,I carry a collapsible basin and scent free soap. I heat water every night and do a sponge bath including my hair.I have found that keeping clean and practicing personal hygiene lets me feel better and keeps me healthier thru out the hunt

Just gotta ask - noscent deoderants are NOT noscent to an elk, but scent free soap IS scent free to an elk??
stumpy waters

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I keep scent free deodorant at camp.
At times I will have wipes in my day pack
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

stumpy waters wrote:
saddlesore wrote:I'm not too worried about weight since I have my mule to carry stuff. However, I don't believe noscent deodorants are noscent to elk.If I am in a spartan camp where weight is factor,I carry a collapsible basin and scent free soap. I heat water every night and do a sponge bath including my hair.I have found that keeping clean and practicing personal hygiene lets me feel better and keeps me healthier thru out the hunt

Just gotta ask - noscent deoderants are NOT noscent to an elk, but scent free soap IS scent free to an elk??

Probably not Stumpy,but it is the only soap on the market that does not smell. Deodorants cover stink. Antiperspirants stop some sweat that stinks . At least soap washes it away and keeps me clean
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 12]

saddlesore wrote:Probably not Stumpy,but it is the only soap on the market that does not smell. Deodorants cover stink. Antiperspirants stop some sweat that stinks . At least soap washes it away and keeps me clean

Saddle sore is correct
I have 4 brands of hunter antiperspirants. All have anti bacterials the stuff that prevents bacteria from growing and stinking
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H