Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow Sling - yea or nay?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow Sling - yea or nay?

Postby CurlyTail » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Do you use a bow sling? If yes- which one, and how/when/why do you use it.

I currently do not use one - too much stuff around my neck already (Bugle Tube, Binocular harness, pack chest strap). My brother uses the Primos sling and seems to like it. I just carry my bow in my hand, mostly by the string. And I get tired of carrying it but just put up with it.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Re: Bow Sling - yea or nay?

Postby Navesgane » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My pack has a place for it that secures it nicely when I'm not hunting, or traversing terrain that requires both hands. I also have the primos sling and tried it but it's not for me. The way I figure is that if I'm in a place where an elk can be and its safe and legal, I'm hunting and have my bow in hand.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I had a bow sling for a few years. I did not use it much and finally gave it to my son in law. I don't think he uses it either. The sling seems like a good idea, but is not much of a help.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Even though I don't use mine much, I will not be without one. If I'm covering ground out of the woods I like it (pre daylight on my pack is as good or better) if I'm walking roads and glassing, I want a sling, need 2 hands to glass, and setting your bow in the gravel 1000 times will ding it up. If I'm walking in or out in daylight, I can't stand my bow on my pack, and after a few days carrying it by the string gets uncomfortable.

I don't bring it most days, but when it makes sense, they can be handy to me.
Roosiebull

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I'm in the middle. Do I use it much, no. but it is nice when I need it. I use string sling. It light not to bulky. I have never used the little plastic piece that hooks to the string, but the strap works just fine. Look it up see for yourself.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Nay

Had one come with my bow,,..I prefer no to use it
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 04 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I'm in the middle. Do I use it much, no. but it is nice when I need it. I use string sling. It light not to bulky. I have never used the little plastic piece that hooks to the string, but the strap works just fine. Look it up see for yourself.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm getting one. Looks perfect
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 04 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

"No" Here. I do use one for my whitetail hunting when I'm not going far and am walking in to my stand in the dark.

For Elk Hunting: Easy to attach the bow to my pack when I'm not hunting. When I am hunting, bow rests easily behind my head resting on shoulders / pack with stabilizer on one side of my head, sight on the other. Otherwise I use a Kifaru Gun bearer on my left side of my pack belt which has worked pretty good. Keeps the bow under my left arm with bottom limb pocket in the "sling" and a quick release piece of webbing around the string to my shoulder strap.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Roosiebull wrote:
Fridaythe13th wrote:I'm in the middle. Do I use it much, no. but it is nice when I need it. I use string sling. It light not to bulky. I have never used the little plastic piece that hooks to the string, but the strap works just fine. Look it up see for yourself.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm getting one. Looks perfect

No problem. All ways glad to help. I think deafirishman pointed it out to me.
We have a hour walk every morning and back out again. So it does come handy. If something happens on the way in its 1 snap and you can fire a arrow pretty fast.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S