Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Leupold CDS thingamajigs...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Leupold CDS thingamajigs...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hey, boy howdy, those things work pretty slick! I've had a Leupold VX scope on my .308 for a few years and finally got on the horn with Leupold and ordered the complimentary CDS turret thingamajig. I'm not a huge gun guy (the .308 Weatherby is the first rifle I've actually owned in oh, some 25 years) so I was learning as I went. OK, the friendly voices at Leupold (and the accompanying literature) said to sight rifle/scope in at XXX range (I used 200 yrds) and then send em the info (load and approximate elevation and temp I'd be hunting). So, got the CDS in the mail yesterday and went out to the range today. I confirmed my 200 yard zero with a few rounds (Underwood Ammo is my choice of round/thanks to WAWhitey's recommendation), then, swapped out the current scope dial with the CDS. Well geez, wow and heck fire, I put three rounds down range with the Weatherby and grouped two really nice at 200. Now, I'm feeling like I'm the range expert so I dialed the scope up to 300 yards and shot twice at the 6" (may have been 8", I didn't drive out and measure) round steel thingies hanging way out there. Ya know what, both shots resulted in audible "pings"! Now, I'm obviously a long range expert so any questions you folks have about shooting at oh, 1000 yards, I'm the guy to ask :lol:. At any rate, it was a good day at the old range and I'm liking that dang CDS thing that Leupold makes. Now, I just need to find a range where I can shoot out a bit farther and see if I can get some audible "pings"! 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Leupold CDS thingamajigs...

Postby pointysticks » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

i just had my older VX3 retrofitted with the CDS. cost me some money, but i was cool with it. scope was there for a check up (after i fell off a mtn, with it strapped to my back)

pretty cool system. i have NOT gotten the actual CDS dail yet. i just had them engrave MOA stuff.

i had not owned a Chronograph yet..since we have to give them muzzle velocity. i need to get off my butt.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

No more excuses for shooting too high or too low. :lol: :lol:

AS a punk kid I loved long range shooting with my .22's and .222.
Just a lot of fun.
When I shot and reloaded a lot I knew the ballistics of each of my guns and loads.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Next Leupold will come up with an attachment, so you will know how far to lead a running bull. When you put the two attachments together they will name it the "Frustration". :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

they are a pretty sweet setup for sure, and dang accurate to at least 600 yds (as far as I ever shoot)

unfortunately I gave my buddy a really good deal on mine, there was one flaw I couldn't handle, and when I packed my rifle with the sling, the dial would rub on my pack, and sometimes spin a full revolution without me knowing. it started feeling like a liability to me, so I got rid of it and went with a BDC reticle. I like it fine, but I do miss my leupold.

I recently bought an awesome product that would have fixed my issue, it's called a "rapid rifle cover" check it out, anyone who hunts the PNW should have one, no more breaking scope covers (or losing the bikinis), no more taping my barrel when it's dumping rain, and will cover your CDS dial so it will not spin. easy on/off, and great protection for your scope and rifle..... it's truly a great product, especially for 50 bucks, I feel dumb for living so long without it.

may have to get another CDS now ;)
Roosiebull