Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need new range finder, any suggestions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need new range finder, any suggestions

Postby Lonnie » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok so my old range finder has been lying to me. It is time to invest in another one. The market has changed in technology since I bought one last. I would like a new range finder that is water proof, great optics, doesn't use a lot of batteries, angle compensation for shooting up or down hill. It only needs to have a maximum distance of 600 yards. I will be using it for bow hunting. Any good suggestions on a particular brand. And please tell me why you like or dislike the brand you are using.
Lonnie

Re: Need new range finder, any suggestions

Postby Tigger » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have a Leupold 1200i TBR and love it. Clear optics, angle compensating and haven't went through the initial battery yet in 3 years. It just does what it is supposed to do. Plus Leupold is known for customer service and supports conservation and hunters safety instructors. You don't happen to be a hunting safety instructor do you? Big discounts if you are.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I got a new Vortex rangefinder from Elknut. I was pleased with the rangefinder, the service I received and the price was good too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

On a recommendation from a hunting buddy I decided to try a Sig Sauer 1250 and received it about a month ago.. So far so good. Crystal clear, great low light capability, price seems reasonable for such a nice unit, and seems on the mark for accuracy. Man, there's lotsa good ones out there but I would certainly not look at anything rated at less than 1000 yards (that translates to really, only reading big game critters out to 700ish).

https://www.eurooptic.com/SOK12601-Sig- ... ocula.aspx
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 05 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I am bias, because I love my Sig kilo2000. I rifle hunt as well, and shoot a lot, and they are same price as the leupold but WAY more capable, and feature ritch.
Roosiebull

Postby pointysticks » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 6]

my older Vortex is consistently 1 yard off from everyone standing next to me lazering the same object.

drives me nuts, altho i KNOW when it comes to my arrow placement it is like a fart in the wind..makes no difference.

i still use my VERY old archer choice. that thing simply wont go into the light.

my next one will be a Leica. i'm over it..swinging for the fence.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby EuroOptic » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Hello,

If I may make a recommendation for the Leica CRF2000B
Amazingly accurate and offers ballistic calculations . Good for up to 2000 yards.
We are running a special sale on them for $559.00 Plus you get a $100 eurooptic gift card that you can apply towards a future purchase.

https://www.eurooptic.com/40536-Leica-L ... medium=acg

Thank you,

Ari from Eurooptic
EuroOptic

Postby baddaddy » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I use a Leupold 600 TBR for bow hunting. Got a vectronix for rifles.
baddaddy

Postby wawhitey » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Dont even screw around, sig kilo, hands down.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 10]

is that Sig Kilo heavy? i vaguely remember it feeling super heavy.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby wawhitey » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:is that Sig Kilo heavy? i vaguely remember it feeling super heavy.

Not that ive noticed. Only thing i noticed about it is that it can range a very long distance and its super fast.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I hated my Leupold rangefinder. Too many options. You get lost. Gotta read the manual twice a year. I totally love my Leica. Better than a friends Swarovski even. It accurately ranges further than it’s rated for. Fast. Easy on batteries. Does all the angle and ballistics compensation AND unlike most others it also factors in temp and humidity. I can’t say enough about it. I’m a big fan of Swarovski and Leupold optics but when it comes to range finders I’m sold on Leica for sure.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 13]

pointysticks wrote:is that Sig Kilo heavy? i vaguely remember it feeling super heavy.

Not at all, small, light, and works well beyond it's price point.

It doesn't seem any heavier than any good rangefinder, heavier that the super cheap ones though.

I used a Nikon 550 for years, always hated it, but it wouldn't die, finally just gave it to my father in law.

I have got to use about every unit out there, it's a piece of gear that lasts a long time, so price wasn't really a consideration, just didn't want to be stuck with one I didn't like for another 10 yrs, I liked the Sig the best, almost got the Leica, but followed the advice from a good friend who is a long range guy and optics guru, glad I listened
Roosiebull

Postby Lsb » 05 05, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I'm pleased with my Leica 1600b
Lsb

Postby BullRun » 06 03, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I got a Sig Kilo2200 MR this past season. I like my Sig 9MM so much, I decided to give the rangefinder a try. Best I've used yet! Great fit in my hands and pack, ranges out to an insane distance...WITH angular compensation (Angle Modified Range), best visual display of all that I demoed, great warrantee, and ballistic case. Just an all around great product so far. Love the angle modified range...especially when hunting in the hills...just range and shoot!
BullRun

Postby EuroOptic » 06 26, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Calling all Wapititalk members!!

The best for less!!

Leica Geovid HD-B 2200 rangefinder binoculars!! On special for $2189.00 The best rangefinder /binoculars available at an amazing price!

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leica-Geovid- ... medium=acg

We also still have the Leica Rangemaster CRF-2200B on special , reduced to $399 !! Do not miss this opportunity to take advantage of this special price while it lasts..

https://www.eurooptic.com/40536-Leica-L ... medium=acg
EuroOptic

Postby DBLGBL » 06 27, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Here is something to consider that has not been discussed. What kind of warranty /customer service do the Lieca /sig carry?

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby Lsb » 06 27, 2018 •  [Post 18]

DBLGBL wrote:Here is something to consider that has not been discussed. What kind of warranty /customer service do the Lieca /sig carry?

2gbl

Haven't had to use the Leica warranty
Lsb