Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

backpack tip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

backpack tip

Postby Tigger » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Most of us put our shoulder straps on and then buckle our waist belt and take off for the hinterlands. a little tip I have learned is that after you do that, tighten that waist belt then grab your waist belt and lift it up as high as you can. If you can get it up even 1/4 of an inch it will do a much better job of putting the weight on your hips and not your shoulders.

anybody else have any backpack tips they would like to share?
Tigger

Re: backpack tip

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

We hunt from a base camp and I only fill my bladder about half full. There are tons of creeks where we hunt so I can refill quite a few times a day if needed. Why carry that extra weight.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Navesgane » 05 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

if your pack is causing pain on your shoulders, something is wrong. You either need to adjust your pack, or the way you're wearing it. Your legs should be the only things tiring from backpacking. I have an old thick leather belt that I wear that my hip strap sits nicely on top of to help distribute weight.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Reconsider your packing list.
Know what you want or need. You my be surprised how much of the wrong or unnecessary things many backpackers carry in their pack
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Bushwhacking, uphill, downhill, heavily loaded, crossing water...trekking poles are your best friends.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby wawhitey » 05 04, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Elkduds wrote:Bushwhacking, uphill, downhill, heavily loaded, crossing water...trekking poles are your best friends.

I was kicking myself this morning for forgetting my trekking poles. Decided im going to keep them in my truck from now on. Why do i need them here at home? Theyre now permanent truck gear.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:Most of us put our shoulder straps on and then buckle our waist belt and take off for the hinterlands. a little tip I have learned is that after you do that, tighten that waist belt then grab your waist belt and lift it up as high as you can. If you can get it up even 1/4 of an inch it will do a much better job of putting the weight on your hips and not your shoulders.

I never had a pack where I could do that before on anything with enough weight to make a difference, until last season. RJ's friend Joe showed me to do the in camp, and it make a world of difference. No more Cabelas Alaska frame packs for this kid when I have any serious packing to do. Good tip Tigger.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 05 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

That's why I feed horses all year
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 05 06, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Lsb wrote:That's why I feed horses all year

In my experience not a very good trade in my mind :lol:

My daughter keeps her two horses at our place. My labor of love is for my daughter,... not the horses.
Lefty

Postby Lsb » 05 06, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote:

My daughter keeps her two horses at our place. My labor of love is for my daughter,... not the horses.

Packing a week's worth of comfortable camp for four to 8500' for a mountain goat hunt, priceless.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Lsb wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Packing a week's worth of comfortable camp for four to 8500' for a mountain goat hunt, priceless.

I have a backup fellow who would pack out a moose a"anywhere" for $200. Im guessing He ( or his kids and wife) would pack in a camp for less if not on a tight schedule.

Lets see: my daughters and wifes horses,.. hay shed last year$2500 and 50 hours, $250 for water last week,.. 3 sprinkler heads today ,...
I still wont see any advantages :lol:
Lefty

Postby Lsb » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Lefty wrote:
Lsb wrote:
Lefty wrote:

I have a backup fellow who would pack out a moose a"anywhere" for $200. Im guessing He ( or his kids and wife) would pack in a camp for less if not on a tight schedule.

Lets see: my daughters and wifes horses,.. hay shed last year$2500 and 50 hours, $250 for water last week,.. 3 sprinkler heads today ,...
I still wont see any advantages :lol:

With those options I don't blame you
Lsb

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I could have a couple of horse here too, but it does not add up in my economy. Not only would they need feed and care for 12 months of the year, but you need tack, and a trailer. Lefty forgot the shoeing cost, veterinarian bills and the costs of fencing, barn, etc. Then when you get to camp you are still not done with horses. The neighbor, whose daughter left for college, wanted someone to take her horse off her hands, I offered to take it out for bear bait. It is gone now. I'm guessing someone got it at a very good price. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lsb » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 14]

There is all that. Happy wife happy life factors into it.
Lsb

Postby jmez » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Adjust your pack early and often. Contrary to what most forums would lead you to believe, most backpacks can be comfortable, even with weight in them. The key is correct fit and adjustment. Only you can determine what is a correct fit for yourself. Get some weight in your pack and get out and do some hiking in the off season. Pay attention to how the pack is riding and how it feels. Take it off and adjust things to customize the fit and feel. When I get a new pack it usually takes me about 4 months to get everything set where I like it. I'm always taking it off and tweaking on it until I get it set correctly.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Roosiebull » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Lefty wrote:Reconsider your packing list.
Know what you want or need. You my be surprised how much of the wrong or unnecessary things many backpackers carry in their pack

That one gets me all the time, do a bunch of walking, thinking, geez, this pack seems heavy... go home, 41lbs just for spring bear or lions, without water.... I have to reorganize my pack often, rather than just keep adding more, and not taking out the things I don't need.

Some good tips!
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I start with all the straps loose. Tighten the waist belt first with the waist belt centered over your hip bones. Then snug, but not overtighten, the shoulder straps. Then tighten up the load lifters to take some weight off your shoulders. Slightly loosen the shoulder straps (1/4 - 1/2" or so) to give better range of motion with the arms. Then, I loosely tighten the chest strap and then tighten stabilizer straps if available / needed.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby pointysticks » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 18]

dont buy into the hype of what everyone else is wearing.

despite everything you read, there is NO pack on the planet that makes 80lbs feel like 50. :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby CurlyTail » 05 14, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Plan ahead with your hunting partners to coordinate your gear list and eliminate duplication of items. Your group does not need 2 multitools, you do not need 2 stoves/cooksets, you do not need 2 water filters. Divy up the group gear evenly

Get together with your partners before leaving , and empty your packs, and discuss who will bring what - you can cut a bunch of weight that way. Agree to bring specific items, but nothing more. If you don't get together, you will never trust the other guys to bring their items.

Plan and prepack your dinners into a single gallon ziplock bag. Then split the meals evenly between the guys in your group. Label each bag as to day of week, and meal. Then all you have to do for breakfast is for one guy to grab one bag and everything you need is handy. Not digging through packs trying to find specific items. Makes dinner time easy and efficient. trash goes back into the ziploc for carry out.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Lefty » 05 18, 2018 •  [Post 20]

pointysticks wrote:dont buy into the hype of what everyone else is wearing.
despite everything you read, there is NO pack on the planet that makes 80lbs feel like 50. :D

But there are packs that weigh 80 and feel like 100.
Lefty