Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cheap gear!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cheap gear!!

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

In my earlier life I worked construction and used decent ESWING a hammers, but I never owned a $200 framer. Ive worked places where the boss thought a $3.00 hammer was just fine :lol:
Cleaning my truck out this morning I do keep and use some cheap stuff, no big name brand, super high tech, over engineered stuff.

I go cheap on head lamps. Im still using the 3 for $15.00 Costco head lamps and $12.00 Energizer and Ray -O-Vac $12.00.
I keep .50 cent fleese glove for emergency backup. I condsider them throw away if too dirty.

Where do you go cheap
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Cheap gear!!

Postby scubohuntr » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Most of the time my choices come down to cheap or not at all.

I have decent rifles, and a bow that was good thirty years ago. My binoculars are cheap, most of my camo is cheap, and my backpacks are cheap (which I hope to regret after hauling out elk). I have decent boots, a good compass, and a number of reasonably effective, though not expensive, knives. So far, I have chosen "not at all" on a spotting scope, unless I have a windfall.

I'm still wrestling with headlamps, whether to go the Costco route or drop ninety bucks on a Fenix. I've gone cheap on game bags, with a mix of clearance canvas, rummage sale cheesecloth, and a couple of old king-size pillowcases. Definitely cheap on coolers. I'll probably end up with a big Rubbermaid tote, a Harbor Freight plastic tarp, a Goodwill sleeping bag, and my old Coleman full of frozen milk jugs. I don't expect to be more than a couple of hours from home anyway, once I get back to the truck. Gloves sound like a reasonable place to go cheap. I think I'll probably spend some money on good socks.
scubohuntr

Postby Indian Summer » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I don’t go cheap on anything that has to do with elk hunting. If you’ve never tried a quality headlamp like Black Diamond you truly have no idea what you’re missing. Those Energizers are THE WORST!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:I don’t go cheap on anything that has to do with elk hunting. If you’ve never tried a quality headlamp like Black Diamond you truly have no idea what you’re missing. Those Energizers are THE WORST!!!

Black diamonds are tough to kill as well, I have bought some cheap head lamps, they get wet and turn on by themselves and short out.

The only thing cheap in my pack I can think of is bimart para cord that works fine for the task.

I will also add some of those 99cent emergency blankets for putting meat on, small, light, and cheap
Roosiebull

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

While I’m a newbie hunting elk, I have enough related experience that makes it hard to “go cheap” on gear. But your Estwing hammer analogy resonates with me, Lefty. I don’t make a living with a hammer, but I use one several times a week, and my 20-year-old Estwing steel framer serves me just fine.

I think I go cheap using old gear for new purposes. My backpack seemed crazy expensive to me when I spent 300 bucks for it 15 years ago. But I own it, so it’s free to me now. Fits me like a glove and handles deer meat just fine. The derned thing is red. I would love to have a new Exo pack designed specifically for carrying meat. But I will stick with my old pack until I prove it’s lacking. My mountain bike is in the same category.

Home made stuff might qualify. Little bits like quivers adapters or bow carriers can add up to a hundred bucks saved here and there, and work just as well as the latest gizmo.

I’m not a new bow every few years buyer. My newest compound bow is several years old and I am learning to service it while shooting for practice and pleasure. Compared to some, this might pass as “going cheap”.

Of course I probably have a grand in elk calls, because I still don’t know what I’m doing, lol. Like most things, it’s all relative I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby pointysticks » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

my favorite knife is a $14 Carbon steel Mora.

the rest i kinda buy better stuff..i hate cheap headlamps. not because i find the light quality better..it is a bummer to have gear jostling around in a pack and the headlamp gets inadvertently turned on. dead battery is a bummer. a good headlamp puts some thought into the on/off button.

hammer? i have a cool hammer. it pulls nails better and it has "reverse" waffle head, so i minimize the damage on the rare occasion i hammer my thumb. it is embarrassingly cool.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Tigger » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I use the Costco lights and they work great. other than that, I like to buy once, cry once. But be careful, once you have tried Sitka, Schnees, Smartwool, etc you will have a very hard time going back. And it doesn't have to be as expensive as advertised. Bide your time, watch Camofire, the Bargain Cave, and any other sales and you can find quality gear for half the price. I just bought a pair of Schnees Beartooth for $134 delivered to my door. that is cheaper than most of the boots out there, regardless of quality!
Tigger

Postby ishy » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I am a bit of a cheap freak. Kind of out of necessity on our budget (lack thereof) and partly my sons fault, he was a huge Herbie the love bug fan (heart matters more than equipment mentality). Some one actually contacted a Love Bug Club and they wrote the coolest letter for his funeral that literally blew my mind. You would never think a bunch of grease monkeys could pen such a beautiful and touching letter. So I have embraced the make due with what you have and can afford mentality. Bow was a year old clearance, range finder used, several packs from thrift stores-one brand new Kelty Freight Hauler for $10, binos are all hand me downs, GPS thrift store for $10, GT arrows on clearance last month $9 per 4, camcorder was a black Friday deal for $100, trail cameras from camo fire $35 etc... I don't have much that was purchased new or at full price. I even did Ironman on a $500 bike that was ten years old when I bought it. I would love to know how many competitors I beat that spent 10x that.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkduds » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

My energizer headlamps never turn on by themselves, because one of their batteries is in backward until I say otherwise. Yes, I am That Cheap Guy. They'll probably put "Never pay retail" on my headstone, which will be small and made of plastic, like Stonehenge in Spinal Tap.

However, I won't use gear that holds me back. I still rock backpacking gear from back in the day (Gerry down bag, 1974). Almost all my stuff is high quality, bought used. I have a pair of Sylo pants I hate to wear because they cost $100, bought those new. Boots, socks, merino bases, MSR tent are from Sierra Trading Post, well-used pack from Ebay. Guns are all "my turn," not my gun. Same w trucks, ATV, mountain bikes, campers, GPS, tents, cots, lanterns, stoves, heaters. Craigslist and online classifieds: tires, Core4 camo, binocs, scopes, rangefinder... Bought new: Klymit pad, WT T shirt, a little ammo, Mission Xbow/bolts, broadhead target, not much else.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 10]

i tried reversing a battery.

that just didnt make sense (for me)..cold, dark, wet..i wasnt into having to mess with it.

i'm just saying what i like..nothing personal..

i'd put my Mora knife edge up against anyone's blade..i have a $300 custom knife that is about as sharp, but $14!! that is insanely great.
pointysticks

Postby RAMMONT » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

...one of their batteries is in backward...

Silly waste of time, where did this idea originate?
RAMMONT

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

RAMMONT wrote:
...one of their batteries is in backward...

Silly waste of time, where did this idea originate?

RAM, some of the headlamps on the market have an on/off button that is clicked on too easily (i.e., if stuffed tight in a pack lid and something pushes up against it), so, folks reverse one of the batteries in the lamp to ensure the unit does not turn on while in the pack and burn up the batts when not in use. I have one lamp like this (believe it's an Extreme Beam headlamp) that goes on quite easily when riding in the pack if the batteries are installed in it.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby RAMMONT » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 13]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
RAM, some of the headlamps on the market have an on/off button that is clicked on too easily (i.e., if stuffed tight in a pack lid and something pushes up against it), so, folks reverse one of the batteries in the lamp to ensure the unit does not turn on while in the pack and burn up the batts when not in use. I have one lamp like this (believe it's an Extreme Beam headlamp) that goes on quite easily when riding in the pack if the batteries are installed in it.

I understand that people are doing this and why but I was wondering where they got the idea. Electrically it's a bad solution and in the real world I don't see where it's any more convenient than simply removing the batteries until you need them (you have to open the headlamp to get to the batteries either way).
RAMMONT

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 14]

RAMMONT wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:

I understand that people are doing this and why but I was wondering where they got the idea. Electrically it's a bad solution and in the real world I don't see where it's any more convenient than simply removing the batteries until you need them (you have to open the headlamp to get to the batteries either way).

i got a solid "C" in my EE class..but this is an interesting point!!

myZebralight is not readily turned on..i will go with that one..i am not looking for a loose battery :D
pointysticks

Postby Elkduds » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 15]

RAMMONT wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:

I understand that people are doing this and why but I was wondering where they got the idea.

The idea occurred to me on the side of a mountain, after finding my headlamp shining through my pants pocket multiple times. I did not want to fumble through my pack or pockets for a loose battery, so I swapped ends w one AA. It worked that day, so I have used the headlamp that way ever since. Many besides me figured this out for themselves.
Elkduds

Postby RAMMONT » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Elkduds wrote:
The idea occurred to me on the side of a mountain, after finding my headlamp shining through my pants pocket multiple times. I did not want to fumble through my pack or pockets for a loose battery, so I swapped ends w one AA. It worked that day, so I have used the headlamp that way ever since. Many besides me figured this out for themselves.

The only reason that this works is that the newer headlamps have reverse polarity protection but it isn't the best way to fix your problem. If your headlamp is an old style device and/or cheaply designed then you'll probably burn out the optic or led. On newer and/or better designed units, reversing any number of batteries will cause the headlamp to not work because of the lamp's reverse polarity circuitry, that doesn't really mean that you're saving the batteries, it just means that the lamp wont project any light.

But the problem with turning a battery around backwards is that you don't know what will happen. Depending on the type of battery you will either reduce the life of the battery or you might cause a fire or an explosion. I wouldn't recommend doing this with lithium ion batteries.

Electrically, if you have two batteries in the system and you reverse one of them then your overall potential will be zero (or something close to it depending on the characteristics of each battery). Simply reversing one battery wont always provide a total potential of 0v, it depends on how many batteries you have in the system. Additionally, reversing a battery in a system isn't good for any of the batteries because you are reversing current flow in the reversed battery and you are increasing the internal heat in all of the batteries. Both of these reduce the life of standard batteries.

For me it's just a better choice to remove one or more batteries and put them in to a battery case. Claiming that finding a battery would be too difficult isn't really a reasonable excuse unless you store your headlamp in some unorganized way. Most of us put our headlamps in a pack pocket and the battery would be put in to the same pocket. Removing the battery doesn't cause you to do any more work as opposed to reversing it and you have the added benefit of not taking a chance that the reversed battery might destroy your headlamp or weaken your batteries. I'm sure that none of us would switch the battery cables if we were to store a vehicle so why do it to your headlamp.

Sorry for straying off topic, I'm sure that a lot of people will continue doing it but as a guy with almost 40 years of avionics and computer repair/maintenance experience I just had to point out why it's a bad idea.
RAMMONT

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Interesting points RAM.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby pointysticks » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 18]

RAMMONT wrote:
Elkduds wrote:

. Claiming that finding a battery would be too difficult isn't really a reasonable excuse unless you store your headlamp in some unorganized way. .

assuming this is a response to my response:

two choices..look around for a headlamp with a reasonable on/off switch and buying that one (i paid $40 for my Zebra)
versus.
hmm..not taking it into consideration and IF you find it lighting up your nicely organized pack pocket, but dimming because your battery is on it's last leg. hey, next time..i'll take out the battery!!

it is a no brainer.

coming back from a long hunt..i got cheap and didnt stop at a hotel..i was only a few hours from home..several hours. i soldiered on. near my house there is a sweeping turn on the freeway. i was so sleepy. i go around the sweeper, and BOOM! i hear the loudest crash. and i feel it!! i hit something. my side window was coated with stuff..it was pitch black. i pull over and i could feel the wetness. i about chit myself..i imagined hitting a kid or something.

i grab my headlamp from my pack and light up my crappy world. some one threw or something, a bag of rotten fruit, eggs etc out in front of me. it destroyed my side mirror. and my paint..but i was NEVER so happy. being so sleepy, i imagined the worse. this was two AM..i had left Tuscon AZ that morning..it was a long day.

that would have been a really bad time to have to dick with putting a battery into my headlamp..my hands were shaking, my head spinning..i was in the grass on the side of a interstate..pitch black.

in my job, i plan for the worse..not the ideal.."hey the sun is starting to go down, maybe i should get my headlamp ready..30 minutes to go.."

i'm not saying it is a good option..it is a good option..not the BEST option (for me)
pointysticks

Postby Elkduds » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 19]

RAMMONT wrote: But the problem with turning a battery around backwards is that you don't know what will happen. Depending on the type of battery you will either reduce the life of the battery or you might cause a fire or an explosion. I wouldn't recommend doing this with lithium ion batteries.

Electrically, if you have two batteries in the system and you reverse one of them then your overall potential will be zero (or something close to it depending on the characteristics of each battery). Simply reversing one battery wont always provide a total potential of 0v, it depends on how many batteries you have in the system. Additionally, reversing a battery in a system isn't good for any of the batteries because you are reversing current flow in the reversed battery and you are increasing the internal heat in all of the batteries. Both of these reduce the life of standard batteries.

Sorry for straying off topic, I'm sure that a lot of people will continue doing it but as a guy with almost 40 years of avionics and computer repair/maintenance experience I just had to point out why it's a bad idea.

Good to know, thanks for your expertise on this topic. I have 6 cheap headlamps I need to use up.
Elkduds

Postby wawhitey » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I think its funny, that in a thread about cheap gear, headlamps seem to be the universal "cheap works" standard. For me its been just the opposite. I feel a good headlamp is one of the most important pieces of gear i can have. Being a few miles from your rig in the mountains on a new moon in heavy timber, with a cheap headlamp failing you sucks bad. Double so if you have an animal to track. I think ive tried every brand and model of headlamp out there, from the cheapest bargain stuff, to some high end deals. Ive gone through so many different brands and models of headlamps in every price range, and been less than satisfied with them all. And i dont only use them for hunting, but in my line of work a good headlamp is crucial, my life quite literally depends on it at times, so its something i use year round in my personal and professional life. So i have high standards. Finally, after wasting god knows how much money on bad headlamps, i finally found one that completely satisfied me. Theyre not the cheapest (but also not the most expensive) but the amount of money i could have saved by buying a couple of these, vs throwing away so much money on lesser headlamps... sometimes its better to go with the buy once, cry once concept. The fenix hl50 is the only headlamp ive ever been satisfied with. Everything about it is great. Nothing else has come close, and ive thrown away 10x the cost of one of these while experimenting with a bunch of cheap crap that let me down at a bad time.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I don''t get hung up on cheap or premium.I buy what works.In almost 50 years of hunting I have yet encountered a situation where a set of $500 Sitka clothes would help me. My hunting coat for the last 15 years or so is a Walmart one I bought on sale for $15. I did buy a Bass Pro two layer one this year for $95 that was a $140 parka. Instead of paying $900 for Kifaru tent, I bought a Luxe Megahorn for $319.
My headlamps are Petzals and I can call a bull in with my cheap flexible gas line section as well as the Elknut Lil Bugler.Same with the plastic Cow Tall calls vs the $20 ones.

My elk rifle is a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester FWT and the only original thing on it is the action. I made a new stock and bought a used barrel from Gun Parts for $65 .That 65 year old rifle has probably killed 30+ elk.
I do buy quality tack for the mules, but it sure isn't the premium stuff you see advertised
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 22]

saddlesore wrote:
My elk rifle is a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester FWT and the only original thing on it is the action. I made a new stock and bought a used barrel from Gun Parts for $65 .That 65 year old rifle has probably killed 30+ elk.

Ive made some good shots and some bad shots with a number of different rifles. The only rifle i have spent any time hunting with that i have a 100% good shot, one hit kill record with is a 1956 winchester model 88 that i shoot core lokts through and has a 350 dollar scope on it. Ive bon jovi'd several whitetail bucks with it, and killed bears from 10-350 yards using that 60+ year old lever gun. Ive basically retired it in honor now. May take it out on occasion if its bluebird weather, but its days of hunting in snow and rain are done. Stock is still pretty, as is original bluing.
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 23]

wawhitey wrote:
saddlesore wrote:

Ive made some good shots and some bad shots with a number of different rifles. The only rifle i have spent any time hunting with that i have a 100% good shot, one hit kill record with is a 1956 winchester model 88 that i shoot core lokts through and has a 350 dollar scope on it. Ive bon jovi'd several whitetail bucks with it, and killed bears from 10-350 yards using that 60+ year old lever gun. Ive basically retired it in honor now. May take it out on occasion if its bluebird weather, but its days of hunting in snow and rain are done. Stock is still pretty, as is original bluing.

I have a 1964 Model 88 in.308.Have not used it in a long time
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 24]

saddlesore wrote:
wawhitey wrote:
saddlesore wrote:

I have a 1964 Model 88 in.308.Have not used it in a long time

Theyre really sweet guns. I love mine. I have a 56 and a 66, both .308.
wawhitey

Postby CurlyTail » 05 14, 2018 •  [Post 25]

I am a cheap headlamp guy. I own about 15 under 10 bucks LED headlamps so that I can always find one when I need one. I keep two in my glove box, one for every pack I own, and about half a dozen in the junk drawer at home. When elk hunting, I make sure that I have one with a red LED option, and I always carry a spare.

I actually do not like the newer , brighter headlamps due to decreased burn time and loss of night vision with the brighter LED lamps. I love a dim headlamp with diffuse light that shines about 3 feet in front of me - I can see where I am going but maintain some night vision so that the dark is not pitch black.

I agree with Saddlesore that you can go cheap with hunting clothing more often than not. Not moving is way more important than camo pattern. Unless you are mountaineering or doing an multiday pack trip. I do like my Sitka gear , but I consider it an extravagant splurge more than a necessity for me.

You can also go cheap on broadheads, although I do not personally do this.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.