Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Just gotta get one of .........

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Just gotta get one of .........

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 1]

...those. What gear item(s) are you still needing to either get (don't have one of those), or, upgrade/change out before the fall hunting season lands? I'm pretty set on my gear list but gotta get a few things: Have a map coming in from Ed/Game Planner Maps; need to order some more backcountry chow/meals; get/package up my day snack packs in quart zip locks; need lithium batteries for electronics; need a few more elk diaphragms; maybe look at getting a PhoneScope digi-scope for scouting and hunt; new filter for Katadyn; handful of fuel canisters for JetBoil; and really just a few other small odds and ends. How about you cats; what do you still need to obtain to round out your gear for the up-coming season?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Just gotta get one of .........

Postby saddlesore » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'm pretty well set now since you put me on to all that good gear. Picked up my wood stove last week. Tent is coming in August

Just waiting for draw results next week
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lsb » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'm pretty set. I will be trying those wapiti Reed's though
Lsb

Postby Swede » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I may get another lantern. I need groceries and some batteries. I'm in good shape for a hunt and could go with just some groceries.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thinking of finally getting a delorme inreach. It's in my amazon basket, just have to click a few buttons...
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby wawhitey » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thinking i need sitka incinerator bibs for late season archery whitetail hunt. Would prefer to try them on first, but dont know where i can do that. Ill have the first week of sept off to hunt whitetail, so if i dont fill my tag by then, guess ill just order some and hope i like them and get size right.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Vince, you were getting the Kifaru box stove for your tent... yes? You'll be living in style on elk mountain with your complete set up this year. I'm gonna get my tipi tent out a few times this summer and break it in, get to know it.

Dean, I'm pretty sure you'll have no issues returning the Incinerator Bibs to Sitka if you need another size. They are a bit slow on the draw, but always come through.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 8]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Vince, you were getting the Kifaru box stove for your tent... yes? You'll be living in style on elk mountain with your complete set up this year. I'm gonna get my tipi tent out a few times this summer and break it in, get to know it.

Yes I did.I got the medium.Talking with Kifaru,they convinced me the large would be too hot and another friend said the same thing.I have it set up,but have not burned it yet.We are on a fire ban here due to dry conditions and I don;t want neighbors smelling wood smoke.
BTW, ref securing top of stove pipe, Look at Tinnerman nuts that would slide down over the top end and attach a short piece of chain to the end of it. Hardware stores call it Jack Chain. Then a long piece of para cord.

U-TIN_1.jpg
U-TIN_1.jpg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 6886 times

jack chain.png
jack chain.png (7.97 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
saddlesore

Postby Elkduds » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 9]

2 from Amazon that I read about on WT, Morakniv and some collapsible magnetic LED lanterns. Upgrading trek poles to carbon fiber w flip locks, probably from Costco. And like Saddlesore said, a CO tag or 2 would be nice. Loving the Klymit sleeping pads. Selling Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I crossed off bino from my bucket list ( vortex razer ) but I still have GPS and new bow on my list. I have to fix my black gold site the 50 yard pin broke on me. Looking good I can't believe it only 3 months away. Time need to slow down. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I would like a new bow and a wall tent. But Im sure I'll get along just fine without either 8-)
Hm a wish list,.. a pickup camper
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Brendan » 06 01, 2018 •  [Post 12]

What I really, really need is a week or two off to hunt Elk. Changing jobs, wedding in Seattle in the end of August, and a wedding in Munich in end of September. So, it may be a year for me to buckle down and find some better whitetail spots, so I'm looking at a 12 foot, 50lb solo canoe to access some areas that I can only get to by water...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Tigger » 06 01, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Gonna maybe pick up the Garmin Inreach Mini. Garmin is not calling me back about the firearm safety discount dadgummit!
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 06 02, 2018 •  [Post 14]

i'm doing pretty well on gear currently, been doing lots of shopping lately :D

some things I AM still getting-

-barrett fieldcraft in 25-06/ leupold vx3i
-some more ASAT brand camo, bought some knarr pants recently, and am so impressed I will be buying some more of their clothes, I am impressed!
-one more pack of magnus buzzcuts in 150gr, bought a couple packs, and quickly decided that is what i'm shooting this year
-an additional pack, for certain hunts, this was not planned, but I have to have one of the new mystery ranch pop up 18 packs, very cool concept!
-thinking of another pair of boots
-have some 18' first lite gear i'm waiting on
-possibly an outdoor vision bino harness, but I may wait until next year, still love my kuiu harness, and it's in decent shape still, but showing some wear.
-would like a new video cam, my current one has a really dark screen and is tough to use in certain light
-some more reloading supplies

some very recent purchases-
-18 arrows, 6 fletched, with 150gr head are 642gr, loving them so far
-EZV sight, now bear season is over, I can mount it and start shooting it
-asat knarr pants
-a few first lite shirts and 2 cyrrus lightweight puffy jackets, liked it so much I bought a second (on sale)
-8x30 swaro slc's (they go in my harness, my 10x slc's in my pack for tripod use)
-new tripod, and shooting sticks for lion calling

that's all I can think of off the top of my head, i'm sure there's more. busy winter and spring at work, so I did lots of shopping ;)
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 06 02, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Anything else just got put on hold.I blew the head gasket in my Dodge Cummins yesterday.Shop can get at it until the11th. Pretty much puts all of June on hold
saddlesore

Postby Roosiebull » 06 02, 2018 •  [Post 16]

saddlesore wrote:Anything else just got put on hold.I blew the head gasket in my Dodge Cummins yesterday.Shop can get at it until the11th. Pretty much puts all of June on hold

ugh, that sucks man. I hate pickup problems, hope you get lucky and get in early.

a few years ago I had a chevy s-10 ZR2, I loved it, only had it for about 6 months. I was driving home from working down south, and decided to go by oil can henry's to get the oil changed, as spring bear opened the following day, I also decided to get a tranny flush, because I didn't know if it had ever been done.

got done with all of that and headed the last 15 miles home. about 2 miles into the drive I looked in my mirror and saw smoke... WTH??!! it was a lot of smoke so i'm frantically looking for a spot to pull over that won't block the highway, but also isn't right under power lines, or trees, or any buildings/houses.

I find an open gravel lot and jump out, smoke was pouring out of the bottom of my pickup, then right into flames! I called 911, they responded quick, but by the time they got there, it was fully engulfed in flames. they got it stopped pretty quick, but all that was left under the hood was metal, everything else was burnt, obviously totaled.

they forgot to put the filler cap on my transmission reservoir, and that was the cause. I had to get a rental pickup, it was a dodge that had under 100 miles on it, super nice pickup, but I felt like I couldn't take it anywhere in the woods, it was just too new and shiny. I scrambled the next couple days and found a jeep wrangler with 67k miles on it (always wanted one) one drive to work and that was enough, crappiest driving rig I have been in! then about 5 days later I sold it and bought a 4 runner, a couple weeks later sold it and got a Tacoma trd.... kept that one a few years :lol: I went through 5 rigs in about 8 months!, started off with a 92' Toyota pickup, standard cab 22re.... should have just kept it in hindsight, and full circle to another Toyota pickup.

pretty bad timing, but I guess there is no "good timing" for pickup problems. hope you get it resolved quickly, and relatively painless, I feel for ya.

assuming it's a diesel, nothing is cheap on a diesel.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 06 04, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I crossed off bino from my bucket list ( vortex razer ) but I still have GPS and new bow on my list. I have to fix my black gold site the 50 yard pin broke on me. Looking good I can't believe it only 3 months away. Time need to slow down. Lol

They have a great warranty, just contact them and they will probably send you a new one.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 18]

For some reason I felt like new broadheads again. Ended up with Iron Will 100 grain vented and glad I did.
Elkhntr08

Postby pointysticks » 06 06, 2018 •  [Post 19]

need a left hand bow sight. and those $$ Hoyt limb press adaptors for my EZpress :(
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Elkhntr08 wrote:For some reason I felt like new broadheads again. Ended up with Iron Will 100 grain vented and glad I did.

Hey elkhntr do me a favor and shoot a elk and let me know how they do.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 21]

ishy wrote:
Fridaythe13th wrote:I crossed off bino from my bucket list ( vortex razer ) but I still have GPS and new bow on my list. I have to fix my black gold site the 50 yard pin broke on me. Looking good I can't believe it only 3 months away. Time need to slow down. Lol

They have a great warranty, just contact them and they will probably send you a new one.

It is a great company. I just have to find time to take apart and send in.
Fridaythe13th

Postby CurlyTail » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Navesgane wrote:Thinking of finally getting a delorme inreach. It's in my amazon basket, just have to click a few buttons...

We use the InReach device and have found it to have a reliable signal, slightly clunky interface but very useable text messaging, and moderate expense. Overall, I recommend it . The only device that I am aware of that is better is an actual Iridium Satellite Phone, and those are pretty pricey for only periodic use.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Roosiebull » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Elkhntr08 wrote:For some reason I felt like new broadheads again. Ended up with Iron Will 100 grain vented and glad I did.

easy to appreciate in person aren't they? and again easy to appreciate shooting them. they are pricey, but I think a home run in every category a broadhead could be based on.
Roosiebull