Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Katadyn filter system

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Katadyn filter system

Postby Navesgane » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Looking at picking up the 6L for a base camp system of three people max. Is the 10L much bulkier/heavier and does one have benifit over the other besides capacity? I have the sawyer backpack system that I'll have in my day pack, but needing something more convenient and usable for camp.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Katadyn filter system

Postby wawhitey » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Never tried one of those, but man, i love my msr guardian. Awesome little device, worth the cost without question.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Jeff, you're correct. The only difference between the 6 and the 10L Katadyn base camp filter systems is the capacity. I love this system! Really, you dunk it in the water source, invert it, hang it, and filter the water into bladders. It's also nice to pack in a 10L dromedary bag back in with you in addition to any filter system. That way, you can fill it with filtered water and hang it in camp (morning coffee water, evening FD meals, or even top off bladders). The base camp filter system uses the same filter as their hiker pro's do. They are very good filters but ensure you don't filter too much borderline murky water through them or they really don't last that long and your flow will turn into a snail race. Any running water source will work very well and prolong the life of your filter.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lsb » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I've got the 10L and love it. I hang it and use a sea to summit 10L folding bucket to haul water from the source to the filter. Only downside I've had was in mountain goat camp last year it froze up on us, but at 15 degrees what do you expect. We used jet boils to melt snow and get hot water which eventually thawed it out.
Lsb

Postby Navesgane » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the info! Ordering one now.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff