Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Garmin inreach

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Garmin inreach

Postby Roosiebull » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am interested in getting one, and don't know much about how they work, or their limitations. those who have one and use it, can you share a little about the unit? thanks in advance.
Roosiebull

Re: Garmin inreach

Postby Swede » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have one and used it one year then skipped a couple. They are good for an emergency communication tool, but a pain in the butt for normal communications. I signed up for intermittent service, but they make it difficult to shut off. You can't say ahead you want it for two months only. I guess I will sign up for service if I hunt and camp alone again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

thanks swede.

I would have the annual plan, only time I would use it for non emergency would be an urgent message to my wife, just letting her know there is a reason i'm late so she didn't worry (not texting back and forth having a communication)

besides that (which I think in itself may be worth it based on how I operate) are there any other useful features?
Roosiebull

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I set my inreach to send my location to my wife or other parties on a regular basis. The location info is emailed to the selected party and shows up on a linked map. Nice feature.
For texting and navigating I prefer to use the earthmate software to run the inreach from my smart phone, vs trying to run things directly on the inreach. With this set up the inreach is basically a satellite link that makes a phone work like it is online, for texting and nav.
I will say that OnX has pretty much replaced the inreach as my go to nav system.
But keeping family or others updated when I am out solo is worth the cost of the inreach device and subscription to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby Brendan » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I've carried an inreach for 4 years now during hunting season. I get a plan where I turn it on for a month, and then log into the web app and shut it off for the rest of the year after that. Fantastic for satellite based text, emergency / SOS beacon, satellite weather, and tracking so your family can see where you are. Pairs with your phone and is very easy to use. Haven't heard good things about navigation on the explorer models, so I still carry a Garmin Montana or use my phone with the GAIA GPS app.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Roosiebull » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 6]

thanks guys, sounds like a good unit for me to have. i'm out of cell range a lot, I actually think there is higher potential for me getting in trouble winter steelhead fishing. I do lots of isolated canyon fishing, and some days cover 5 or 6 miles one way of river bank (then back) lots of pretty technical walking (for me) scaling rocky bluffs and stuff. if I got injured down there, it would take me a good while to crawl myself out of there, and it would be nice to tell my wife i'm alright, it's just going to take extra time to get out. most of those trips I don't see any human tracks, nobody to help, and both fishing and hunting, i'm usually solo.

I have not been good at letting people even know where I plan to be. my wife knows what i'm doing, but rarely where. she has been worrying lately, so I would like to give her a piece of mind.

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I will not use it for Nav, I like a separate unit myself, may get the on-x app for my phone for a backup to my Oregon 450, and probably should update that soon. it has been great, but it's a few yrs old now.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Roosie: Considering what you are doing and where you are going, I would recommend you have an InReach. It only takes one small mishap for it to more than pay for itself, and the extra piece of mind is perhaps just as valuable.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Yeah, I have decided it's a good thing to have. Cheap piece of mind all things considered.

Thanks for the insight guys.
Roosiebull

Postby CurlyTail » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 9]

The inReach runs off the Iridum global satellite system, which has proven more reliable (but not perfect) than the Global star satellite system (Spot unit).

You do have to sign up for a service program, which can be monthly, seasonally, or yearly with various options and prices depending on how heavily you will use the device. It is slightly cumbersome to turn on and off the service, but gets easier with practice.

The battery life is excellent, but does not have the ability to use readily available AA batteries, so you become somewhat dependent upon having a charger available for longer than 1 week trips.

I would think of this device as a global texting device only. Not for checking in to see if your honey is lonely, but so your honey knows you are alive and where you are. Text messages come with the text you write, and a link to the Garmin mapping page and you can see on a very nice map exactly where the text message originated from. Now the bread crumb messaging, sending out GPS coordinates every few minutes and posting them on facebook is a giant waste of time, money, and battery power. You can have 3 pre-set messages programmed (brief and inexpensive just turn it on and hit the button), or write your own texts. You can receive texts. There is a good 60 seconds delay going back and forth with texts so it is not as seamless as your cell phone. You need a fairly open canopy to get good satellite reception, and reception is kind of like GPS not super fast.

The SOS feature is great but you hope you will never use it and probably will not. You could just text someone and ask them to contact help for you.

Good insurance policy with the ability for limited slow two way communication. For the Ultimate in two way communication, just get an Iridum Satellite Phone and pay the minutes. If money is an issue, the inReach is a reasonable although not cheap solution. For just a little more you can have a Global Satellite phone which is well worth your consideration. Overall, I have found it to be a good although not great device. I have been too cheap to date to get the Sat. Phone. I keep thinking that better cheaper devices are just around the corner.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Roosiebull » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 10]

thanks CurlyTail!

I think i'm going to go with the mini (sacrifice 1/2 your battery life, but still 50hrs)I almost exclusively do day trips, so battery life isn't a huge concern, especially when we are still talking about 50hrs. I will not use it for chatting, like you said, just to let my wife know i'm ok if i'm going to be late. the other use is the possibility of getting in trouble somewhere, good to have an option of communication.

I will do annual subscriptions, It will be just as handy all year for me.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Forget it Roosie if you are thinking they will work underwater for you. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I am looking to get one (actually 2) as well. We will use them for elk hunting, Canada fishing, and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I understand that the preset messages can be sent as often as you like for free, is that correct? Is there a limit on how many preset messages you can make? you can send texts made on the spot as well but only get so many for free and then they cost a little. But if it can get my hunting partners to me so they can carry a hind quarter of my bull out, that is worth quite a bit of $$$!

I am supposed to get a 20% discount from Garmin for being a Firearm safety instructor, but they wont call or email me back!
Tigger

Postby CurlyTail » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 13]

You set up 3 preset messages at the Garmin website. These can be changed as desired, but you cannot change them from the inReach unit in the field, you must change them on the Garmin website. Most of the basic service levels include unlimited preset messages.

You could say " Got my Bull, need help packing", and they would get that message and the GPS location that you sent it from. They would need internet access to see the GPS coordinates on the map so that might not work.

Another cool feature is that you can send preset messages to multiple persons at the same time. This is also set up on the web at the Garmin web site. Nice for notifying multiple people on a group trip. Canadian coverage is not a problem.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I’ve been using an inreach for a few years and have found it to be invaluable, I use the freedom plan and really only have it activated during hunting season but I use the unlimited plan. My hunting buddy does the same thing and we use it to stay in contact all through the day each day. It isn’t an instant communications device but it lets you communicate just fine.

It’s also very nice to not have to worry about going over in messages when using the unlimited. There are a few of us that hunt the same general area and we always keep tabs on each other. Plus the wife likes it.
dotman

Postby Roosiebull » 07 31, 2018 •  [Post 15]

My wife bought me the mini for Father's Day, now I need to set it up and pick a plan. I want it on all year, perfect piece of technology for me.

I believe you can link them to your phone for easier use too. I will write a review after elk season.

Thanks for the info!
Roosiebull

Postby dotman » 07 31, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Yup I have the mini as well now. It easily links to your smart phone, you have to download the Garmin EarthLink app, this app will then sync to your inreach and Garmin account (Garmin account only when you have internet). You can also download various maps within the app for free but I prefer the maps Gaia has.
dotman