Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blisters,,. Really?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blisters,,. Really?

Postby Lefty » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok I have never been plagued by blisters from footwear, or spent days in an unworkable tent for the conditions. I had one tent blow apart in 70 mph winds, but did have a Springbar that withstood the wind,.. howling tent poles, and wind whipping ties, but anchored with 21"x 1/2" rebar coyote trapping stakes
I have peripheral neuropathy, very sever in my feet, so I wouldnt feel hot spots anyway.
Were planning a number of short back-country trips with scouts and neighbors, the rookies have all experienced blisters on their feet in the past,, even if that was 25 years ago :o
Knowing them or their families: I think in part cheap boots and cheap socks are part of the problem,, and they aren't willing to "solve" that situation.

Duct tape and mole skin tend to be their salvation. One fellow even commented "I get blisters every year" :roll: :lol: He lives in a $300,000 house, drive $1000 vehicles, wears cheap Payless shoes, uses $29.00 Walmart tent. In the past Ive given his son a better tent. But Im not buying them better hikers. I did offer them decent socks! ,.. but his other comment " He likes going old school on his pack and tent. Serious, he is using his fathers 45 year old Kelty back pack and just converted to a 40 year old poly fill sleeping bag, and Thermarest.

Any suggestions for curing stupid? and or cheap!

Ah maybe this gripe should go under campfire!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Blisters,,. Really?

Postby saddlesore » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Hunting for 50+ years,I have never had a blister.I attribute it to being careful about good fit on boots, using a calf high poly inner sock under a good quality wool sock and change each every day. I take added precautions to keep my feet dry. I also use a good hand cream every day on my feet after washing them to keep big calluses from forming.
A good bed and good foot ware are the two most important items in gear. Scrimp on either and you will be miserable on a hunt
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 06 10, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If blisters are not enough to convince him it is time to change, I doubt anything you say will make a difference.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 06 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

i kinda disagree about the cheap boots part.

i bought some Schnee Beartooths. they fit awesome. i broke them in by: doing a 50 mile backpack trip with them. ZERO blisters. i was overly confident. i took them to chase mule deer in Southern CA. we didnt get lost but we kinda took a wrong turn. we jumped off a small cliff face and there was no way back. we ended up seeing the mountain we parked at the entire time, but we had to work our way around and around trying to get back. i have never side-hilled as much in my entire life. my adrenalin was going. i never felt the pain.

anyways, i'm typing this, so i didnt die. my feet were mush. my wife had to let out my blisters. i kid you not, i would see a spray from the needle holes!

i should have stopped and taped up my feet when i noticed the extreme terrain. and laced up my boots tighter or something.

now i keep leukotape in my pack. i know my hotspots so i tape them up EVERYTIME before i head out. the tape is very robust and will last for days. my feet look like a boxers hands on the really tough days anticipated.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Everyone feet are different. A buddy of mine found a cheap brand that fit his feet, he barely ties them and his feet are fine. Mine feet I have to tape them up and re tie my boots 3-4 times a day. And there $300 hiker boots from cabelas.
But if he is getting blisters keep trying different brands of boots. I finally found a brand that my feet didn't blister, if I took care of them.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 06 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

saddlesore wrote:.A good bed and good foot ware are the two most important items in gear. Scrimp on either and you will be miserable on a hunt

He skrimps on everything when it come to the outdoors. He brought a piece of carpet pad to sleep on and one of those sleeping bags 50 degree rating that should only be used when sleeping at grandmas.

I am going to suggest lotion on his feet,, Seems like something he would do.
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 06 14, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Spraying feet with anti antiperspirant helps too
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Sitting on a mule all day also helps to keep from getting blisters on your feet also. Although, you might get them in other places! Sorry Vince. I just couldn't resist. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Sitting on a mule all day also helps to keep from getting blisters on your feet also. Although, you might get them in other places! Sorry Vince. I just couldn't resist. LOL!

Ive had more "saddle sores" and other hot spots from a saddle then blister from all my boots combined. :oops:
Lefty

Postby CurlyTail » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Lefty - you may be being a bit rough on your buddy.

The tendency to develop friction blisters in a highly individual thing. Human epidermis is attached to the underlying dermis by structural proteins call Hemidesmosomes. The number of hemidesmosomes can vary person to person, and it is not uncommon to have abnormal wimpy hemidesmosomes. This is a condition called Epidemolysis Bullosa Simplex. It is actually quite common, and the vast majority of the people who have this condition do not know that they have it. It runs strongly in families.

In other words, some people blister way easier than others. The footwear is always blamed, but some people just have delicate skin prone to friction blisters. They cannot change that any more than you can change how good looking you are. Some people have tough normal skin and have to really work hard to get a blister.

Yes, keeping the feet dry is helpful, yes good fitting footwear is helpful, I am a fan of Duct Tape on pressure points to prevent blisters, and a donut shaped ring of moleskin around a already formed blister.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Lefty » 06 15, 2018 •  [Post 11]

CurlyTail wrote:Lefty - you may be being a bit rough on your buddy.
The tendency to develop friction blisters in a highly individual thing. Human epidermis is attached to the underlying dermis by structural proteins call Hemidesmosomes. The number of hemidesmosomes can vary person to person, and it is not uncommon to have abnormal wimpy hemidesmosomes. This is a condition called Epidemolysis Bullosa Simplex. It is actually quite common, and the vast majority of the people who have this condition do not know that they have it. It runs strongly in families.
In other words, some people blister way easier than others. The footwear is always blamed, but some people just have delicate skin prone to friction blisters. They cannot change that any more than you can change how good looking you are. Some people have tough normal skin and have to really work hard to get a blister.
Yes, keeping the feet dry is helpful, yes good fitting footwear is helpful, I am a fan of Duct Tape on pressure points to prevent blisters, and a donut shaped ring of moleskin around a already formed blister.

I never thought of blisters as a physical condition. Puts it in a different perspective.

Thanks
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 06 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

If he is using cotton socks, it sure won't help the problem though
saddlesore

Postby Heartwood » 06 17, 2018 •  [Post 13]

If I were forced to use cheap foot wear for rough country hiking, I would invest in a couple rolls of Leukotape and would use it on suspected hot spots. I would also use a liner sock. I think this would minimize blistering. Keep in mind that the toughest foot in the best boot with the best socks and tape will still blister with enough miles and moisture/friction.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Lefty » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 14]

saddlesore wrote:If he is using cotton socks, it sure won't help the problem though

Saddle sore I think you nailed it. He wears those cheap cotton white work socks,.. like what my dad wore 50 years ago
Lefty