Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's in your elk pack part 5 – Emergency Gear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's in your elk pack part 5 – Emergency Gear

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Let’s roll with part 5 of this super awesome series of threads on “what’s in your elk pack”. What do you cats have in your elk pack for emergency gear (talking first aid items)? For the purpose of these threads, let’s assume we’re talking about pack in hunts.

To date, we’ve covered kill kit, sleep system, sustenance (food and drink), and optics/electronics/navigation.

If memory serves, I normally carry the following: Large/small bandages, white tape, quick clot, suture kit, antiseptic wipes, ibuprofen and a few “strong” pain pills, pitch sticks/bic lighter, and lightweight emergency blanket.

Well, what's in your elk pack for emergency gear?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What's in your elk pack part 5 – Emergency Gear

Postby DBLGBL » 06 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My Oh crap kit contains:

1 Cat Tourniquet
2 Chest seals
1 6"Israeli Bandage
2 Triangle Bandage
1 Roll combat gauze
1 Pack Compressed gauze
Couple 4x4 and 5x9 gauze pads sterile
1 ace bandage
1 small syringe & small pair emt scissors
1/2 roll of vet wrap (Ace bandage like tape)
3 ' Duct Tape
1 Emergency Bivy & space blanket
Assorted small bandaids
Tylenol/Advil/benedril
Lip Balm
Neosporin
Lighter/Fire Stick/waterproof matches/Vaseline coated cotton balls
Imodium Tablets

All fits in a small molle pouch that goes on my pack belt or on my belt if my pack get taken off. Always with me.

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby Kentrek » 06 23, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good thread....the fact I cant remember what I have in there is spooky.... I never use it !!!

How ever in my outdoorvision bino harness they have a little mini kit and they're sun block absolutely saved my bacon this year....definitely worth an extra ounce or so
Kentrek

Postby Lefty » 06 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

The most important thing is knowledge. I have three friends and neighbors who were and are military Docs and we were all evolved in Boy Scouts. While each of them are required to carry a substancial "first aid kit They have whittled down what we carry.
Tuesday were taking a group into the Wind Rivers,.. V***** only requested beyond my small kit was sunscreeen, moleskin/duct tape, head net and DEET for each scout.
V******* he really chastised me Basically instructed me to always let Dave know where I was when alone( and I have since that time),.. and I had to tell another neighbor where I hunted,.. her brother and family was the closest living person to where I hunted
A*** was front line in the middle east, he basically informed me on what I really needed, how to stop bleeding and start breathing and dont fret the "small stuff"

His was comfort kits

Vet tape
a couple 1 inch bandages,
feminine pad
tums
aspirin
Duct tape not the cheap stuff
tweezers, good and sharp,
surgery blade
antiseptic/burn spray/ointment
Benadryil
Phone
And enough Oxi to help me out under more adverse situations or wait it out.

Sometimes a snake bite kit, ( just used the blade Friday to get a nasty infected sliver out

Knowlege Knowledge
So much gear has multiple purposes. Straps from your pack for a tourniquet. Boot laces, belt, para cord duct to attach an appendage to a splint,.
Your jet boil and salt for saline solution. Clean clothing for gauze. Whats in your kill kit,.. an oversized first aid kit!!! plastic or E blanket for all sorts of things

I posted this before . A*** told me to leave the Quick clot at home, and for get about foam splints. That is you cant stop it with pressure your dead anyway. There is all sorts of stuff to use as splints then stated about there is a great selection of sage brush.

In a box in my truck and sometime ATV
Quick clot only because I already had some
Surgical tools
super glue
more para cord
a better quality two man bivi
dental floss ( if I havent already used it :?
more vet tape

The whole knowledge thing what to use and how to adapt.
I use to play hockey with a guy who was dropped out of a plane too low in some jungle someplace US service men werent suppose to be,. He was the medic.
broke his ankles, legs, hip, back, He spent 3 days waiting to be picked up,.. He use to joke the best 3 days of his life,. just him and lots of morphine.

Over all be smart, stay safe, avoid the problems and need for first aid
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 06 24, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Just dug out of my day pack for a back pack trip this week
In the whistle:
Signal mirror and lame compass
fire starters, waterproof matches, birthday candles tp Xacto blade
Attachments
20180624_112211.jpg
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 06 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

DBLGBL wrote:My Oh crap kit contains:
All fits in a small molle pouch that goes on my pack belt or on my belt if my pack get taken off. Always with me.
2gbl

Chest tubes :shock:

We met a guy yesterday a ways back in on an ATV trail,.. Maybe a bit over prepared. He said he had enough for 3 weeks,.. But didnt have a rain coat or poncho
His tactile chest bag include a Rambo knife, .45 and I dont know how many clips.

Once out of ear shot my wife stated " do you think he's a pepper"
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 06 24, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I have most of the standard stuff in a small military kit.I added Dulaudid, Ibuprofen and water purification tablets. What I do have that no one has mentions is Wound Seal.These are small individual packs of a product like Quick clot for smaller wounds.I know Walgreens carry it. It is about $6 for a pack of four.The chances of needing something like that is far greater than a big pack of Quick Clot and I have had to use it.

My big First Aid kit is always back at base camp.It contains everything one could possibly need, including suture kits.Yes, I had to sew myself up once with 6 stitches,using horse size needles and 4" fishing line and copious amounts of Jack Daniels, inside and out. A hypodermic needle and fishing line will also suffice.Some guys swear by Super Glue, but I have never been able to get it to work. I take a regime of Low Dose Aspirin and I bleed profusely.Never could get it dry enough for the super glue.The Wound Seal also forms a quick scab type sea.

I also have to carry a first aid kit for my stock. Some of that is always in my saddle bags. Vet wrap and Sanitary Napkins are two of them.
saddlesore

Postby DBLGBL » 06 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:
DBLGBL wrote:My Oh crap kit contains:
2gbl

Chest tubes :shock:

We met a guy yesterday a ways back in on an ATV trail,.. Maybe a bit over prepared. He said he had enough for 3 weeks,.. But didnt have a rain coat or poncho
His tactile chest bag include a Rambo knife, .45 and I dont know how many clips.

Once out of ear shot my wife stated " do you think he's a pepper"

Lefty,

Odds off needing chest seals are low. So are the odds of being impaled on a set of elk antlers but it happened in our camp last year. They weigh nothing and take up no room in the kit. I agree that your brain is your best survival tool.Time can be precious and the time between fashioning a tourniquet from your pack straps might be the difference between making it and not if it is only one person. You carry your kit I'll carry mine. ;)

2gbl

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby Dorobuta » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I have one of the IFAKs that fit in a cargo pocket, I've supplemented it with a few other items, and it stays in my pack.

To date, the things I've needed / used the most: 4x4 gauze pads, hand sanitizer, first aid tape. Though One time I did have to splint up somebody leg where they took a bad fall and we were pretty sure he had a break - and he did.

I've seen people cut themselves on broad heads, while skinning a kill, and simply doing stuff that should not have even been remotely dangerous.

Having a kit and never needing it is less of problem than needing one and not having it.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Super glue
Tiny flash light
Water proof matches
Fire starter
Lighter
Medicine bottle packed with - filed repair filling kit, vicodene, alcohol wipes, and a few other things, I’ll need to check it out I guess.
5x8ft tarp with stakes and paracord
Kifaru woobie of below freezing
dotman