Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Backcountry Pack - Minimum Size?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Backcountry Pack - Minimum Size?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 1]

OK, let's throw this up for discussion. What is the smallest cubic inch backpack size that will work for say a 5 day backpack hunt? 3500? 4000? 4500+? Let's say for the purpose of this ultra scientific thread that you possess some pretty "on the mark" lightweight/compact gear (tent/tarp, bag/quilt, small stove, kill kit, emergency gear, etc.). We're talking a big game hunt where you'll both be packing needed gear/chow in, and, packing at least one load of meat out (boned out deer) and/or making multiple trips (elk). With the pack size you choose/recommend, how will your trips run for each type/size of critter? I.e., "with a 3500 pack, the boned out deer and camp will all come out in the first trip", or, "with an elk, the first trip is XX lbs of meat and rack, second trip _________, third trip __________, fourth trip _______, etc. Let's go :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Backcountry Pack - Minimum Size?

Postby Lefty » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 2]

First meat doesnt take much room to weigh a lot.
Last week in the Winds We hiked the lakes up to Pyramid and came across a family of 15 :o Mom appeared to be under 140 lbs had a 4000 CI pack and started with 60 lbs :o
My 3700 CI pack weighed in at 37 lb without water, 0 degree oversized bag, lightweight tent and pad. I was a bit over prepared and would have been comfortable in single digit nights and freezing temp days.
One thing to consider is your personal body size,.. that larger clothes as up.
Weight adds up quickly. Ive made two easy trips on a mulie buck with my day pack. Oops not easy. Light. Only a mile plus in, 8 inches of snow 1400 feet of elevation.

Depending on the the exit plan Ill leave some gear and food for later near the kill
4 trips; boned meat 240 lbs? plus pack of say 40 . 280lb. total

I use to do competitive backpacking, bear pack, and Voyagers packing. We carried the max and reduced the number of trips which gave better time.

Back to this question Lets see: First trip Ill take 60,.. my daughter 60 :o
Next trip we will both take 50, next week Ill pick up the rest ,.. oh wait you want 4 trips :P

In reality I dont know what I can safely pack alone any more . I think I can do down hill safely with 80 lbs and treking poles.
Depending on the hike. I may hang the meat . Carry down the backstraps, and call for a horse :oops:

It use to be shoulders gave out before legs and lungs. So a really good waist belt is very important.

If the weather is cool and the meat safe,.. I wouldnt be ashamed to make 6 trips :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If you are hunting alone I would plan on a 5,000 cu. inch pack. If you have someone to help carry things that you will use in common, the 3,500 should be enough. With my Kuiu and the meat hauler wrap, you can take the bag off and load up an elk quarter with no problem.
I do not divide up my loads of meat 1,2,3,4 by weight. I try to make them about even, and haul out the best meat first or a hind quarter.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I’ve run a J34 for years, with the expansion panel and the duffel. I believe it goes from 2800 to 7200. With everything for a 10 day hunt, it weighs in at 62#.
Best meat first, trying to make it all even. Drop the meat and extra gear, return trips for remaining meat.
Picked up a EXO K3500 last fall. Planning on hunting more from base camps and camper. Maybe an overnight spike or two.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

The only difference between a 3 day pack and a 5 day pack should be the amount of food you put in it. So, it depends on the hunter. If you have a 3500 cu pack that is stuffed to the gills, you probably need a bigger pack. On the other hand, if you have enough space left over for about 4 more pounds of grub, the smaller pack should be just fine.

Remember, the larger the pack, the more junk you are likely to put in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Remember, the larger the pack, the more junk you are likely to put in it!!!!!!!!
. No trout about that Bill. Suddenly, there’s room for all kinds of extra (needed or not) gear :). Hey, that reclining folding chair will fit now!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Beendare » 07 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Depends on the hunt....early season archery is going to take a lot less gear than late season rifle.

I've done hunts in the mans for deer in August that had me under 40# all in. I have a 4,000 cu in McHale pack I use for just about everything hunting wise...but I'm an archery guy. I think early season most guys are fine with 4,000-5,000. If you are a kitchen sink guy...then go big or stay home; 7,200 cu in might not be enough.

My avg for a backpack deer, elk or bear hunt is my 4,000 cu in pack at about 45-47# inc my compound and a little water. Some guys I've seen tend to bring too many clothes.

if you have to pack along the whole Sitka line /grin....then you dang well better have a super jumbo pack.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Swede » 07 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Certainly there are assumptions we need to take into consideration here. Do we go lite or do we need a tent, sleeping pad, rain gear, heavy coat, or can we do without so we can travel lightly? We need everything normally carried in our day pack, plus more food and a means to heat things, plus some little pot. I suppose you could just carry some matches, and heat some water over an open fire, in some areas at certain times. A change of socks and whatever else we need for health and hygiene. I can turn my shorts inside out and call that a change of underwear, but I am not sure everyone else can. :D
Swede

Postby jmez » 07 10, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Not sure. I've never packed in for a 5 day hunt. I can fit all my gear and food for 10 days in a 5100 c/i pack.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 07 11, 2018 •  [Post 10]

jmez wrote:Not sure. I've never packed in for a 5 day hunt. I can fit all my gear and food for 10 days in a 5100 c/i pack.

The difference in a 5 day backpack hunt and a 10 day one is mostly food, and underwear. More batteries and fuel for your stove may be needed too. You will obviously need twice as much food for a 10 day hunt, and you cannot just reverse your underwear and turn your shorts inside out and backwards for ten days and call it "changing your underwear". You will need an extra set, and wash every day or so. I thought everyone knew that. :D
Swede

Postby CurlyTail » 07 11, 2018 •  [Post 11]

For me: Day pack 2200 minimum
1-3 days 3500 minimum
4-7 days 5500 minimum

These are for summer or early fall. I would need more space for a cold weather hunt.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 12]

For a 5 day hunt I could use a 3500 . Weather permitting.
Like others have said. Food is a big factor. Weather will add some bulky clothes and maybe some day ill learn that the clothes I pack are never right.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby pointysticks » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 13]

on Rokslide the answer to this question would be:

Kifaru! hahahahha..

i have one pack now. my Metcalf. 4000 CI. i could pull off a 5 day easy.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 14]

BrentLaBere wrote:,,,,,, maybe some day ill learn that the clothes I pack are never right.

Hopefully the day will never come that you will be short on what you pack.
I just got back from a week at scout camp.
One little 80lb fireball kid stayed warm all week, :o brought a jacket, the shorts, shirt , socks and shoes,.. even being in the water a couple times during the week it was tough to be in the same vehicle with him
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby dotman » 07 30, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I’ve had all kinds of various packs and sized packs and what I’ve found is it really depends on not only your personal comforts but gear.

I can easily use an EXO 2k for 5 days but I’ll have my camp gear in between the bag and frame. I can still pack out meat and carry out camp if needed even though not as convenient as if I had my 7k bag.

Anymore layout means more to me then pack size, to a point.
dotman

Postby Jhg » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 16]

00w0w_bATerSp2HNH_600x450.jpg
00w0w_bATerSp2HNH_600x450.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
I abandoned the big heavily loaded pack a long time ago. I do 3 days using an Eberlestock X2 and could do 5 days same pack tying on to the outside gear to make room inside for the extra food. I won't encourage any of you to go lighter, because deciding to do so is a lot like going into rehab- if its not your idea its not going to work very well. But some of the things like extra batteries, underwear, etc is just not necessary. Being out longer does not mean you need more gear. Just more food. Go light. Get the gear and clothing to 20lbs or less- one pot meals, clothing items that do several things well by layering, do you really need rain pants too? A pair of polypro longjohns under standard surplus wool work amazingly well. Ditch the johns and on hot days wool pants will serve without it being unbearable. No need for more stuff. Etc. Point taken about the season. But even early archery you better be able to handle a bad turn of weather. Know thyself well. If I get driven off the mountain I can still hunt from my basecamp- its always with me when I hunt and warm/dry.
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I cannot believe that anyone would think that a change of undies took up too much space!?! :lol: There are some things that are just going along no matter what!
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Ya but(t).... keepin it clean means clean undies. YMMV. Unscented wipies go a LONG way. I'd rather have those along any day before a change of drawers. Just sayin. I usually hunt alone though....
Jhg