Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fletching - Helical, Offset, Straight?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fletching - Helical, Offset, Straight?

Postby Dorobuta » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I currently use helical fletching on my arrows - mostly because the fletching tool I use (AZ EZ Fletch) is set up for helical. Seems to work for me. Probably totally unnecessary, offset would probably be enough.

So, am I hurting anything by using helical, would I gain anything by going to an offset?

Lastly, does anyone actually use straight fletching for hunting?
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Re: Fletching - Helical, Offset, Straight?

Postby Lsb » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I put as much left helical as I can
Lsb

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Right helical on my Blazers.
Elkhntr08

Postby Roosiebull » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I am using straight this year, but there are 6 of them (blazer mini)

It's working as good as anything I have used. A trusted shop owner recommended that confirmation when I ordered 18 arrows a while back, I don't see a reason to change anything, they steer broadheads really well.

The only thing I'm curious about is if there is an actual benefit, I bumped my arrows from 485gr to 642gr, so that alone may be more forgiving.

When I mess up fletchings on one, I will re fletch one with my Arizona mini to see
Roosiebull

Postby Dorobuta » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Roosiebull wrote:I am using straight this year, but there are 6 of them (blazer mini)

It's working as good as anything I have used. A trusted shop owner recommended that confirmation when I ordered 18 arrows a while back, I don't see a reason to change anything, they steer broadheads really well.

The only thing I'm curious about is if there is an actual benefit, I bumped my arrows from 485gr to 642gr, so that alone may be more forgiving.

When I mess up fletchings on one, I will re fletch one with my Arizona mini to see

Here's a tip when using the mini: clean it periodically by dipping it in acetone to remove any glue. I got that straight from the folks that invented it. (local archery shop), keeps it working like brand new.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby Roosiebull » 07 26, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Dorobuta wrote:
Roosiebull wrote:I am using straight this year, but there are 6 of them (blazer mini)

Here's a tip when using the mini: clean it periodically by dipping it in acetone to remove any glue. I got that straight from the folks that invented it. (local archery shop), keeps it working like brand new.

indeed! they are excellent jigs, and easy enough to use, even I can do it ;) I was having issues early on, and found that same tip with some research, zero problems after that. I would like to shoot an arrow fletched with the Arizona mini, vs my current 6 fletch with blazer mini's through a chrono, to see if there is any difference in speed. I seriously doubt there is any significant difference, and the low pro blazer mini's are excellent if anyone is having clearance issues, seem to steer fixed heads really good too. super easy broadhead tune with this combo.

I don't know how necessary it is, but the owner of the shop I use recommended them, so I decided to trust him and try, there is certainly no down side.
Roosiebull