Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How's your draw!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How's your draw!

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

While up at Boyscout camp the scout teaching the archery merit badge wanted to shoot my old Matthews Switchback. I have the bow set as high as possible.70.6 lbs.
This young fellow was determined to shoot but was unable to draw the bow. The following morning his left arm was splotchy black and blue bruising on the inside between his elbow and shoulder.
The doc didnt seem too concerned. Anyone ever have such a thing happen?

I had rotator cuff surgery four years back. My surgeon started by offering me a cross bow permit. He wanted me to draw as best I could with my draw elbow down, then rotating my forearm up, from a lower position, then drawing and raising both arms to my anchor point.
My grip hand does not start at shooting arrow level or fully extended to start . Grip hand fully extends as I start with my draw with my release arm. . Seemed weird and a bit awkward. But is now easy to do.
Using all different groups of muscles.

I was not able to find a you tube on the method anywhere.
Anyone out there taught or learned or use other draw methods with a compound?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: How's your draw!

Postby Tigger » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I think mine pretty normal. I try and keep the target in the ring of my sight. elbow up.

One thing I fight soon thereafter is I instinctively come from the bottom instead of the top like normal people.
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 26, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing Lefty. I use a rotational draw with my recurve, and all the weight *should* be in my back muscles, start to finish.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My surgeon offered me the same advice about getting a crossbow permit. I took it!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 07 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Trumpkin
Sounds like I use those imaginary muscles above the shoulder blades. and do exactly what is wrong.
It took 6 sessions of PT to learn how to tense/use the muscles between my shoulder blades. easy to do now,.. but seemed nearly impossible the first few sessions.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 07 29, 2018 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:My surgeon offered me the same advice about getting a crossbow permit. I took it!

A buddy in Wisconsin only uses a crossbow. II think I will stick with a compound a while longer.

My arms are working fine,.. my legs not so much.
Lefty