Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Chicken N Dumplings

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Chicken N Dumplings

Postby Indian Summer » 07 31, 2018 •  [Post 1]

For dinner last night I had chicken and dump. Not home made.... Mountain House. Yep at home! :lol: It was really good. There are veggies in it... peas carrots etc. It was kinda like a chicken pot pie. I’ll be adding that to my list of favorites.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Chicken N Dumplings

Postby Lefty » 07 31, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Just the title made me hungry.
Certianly one of th better ways to eat chicken
Joe you need to learn to cook,.. just about anything is better than freeze dried meals.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 07 31, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I’m an excellent cook Lefty. I enjoy it too. Always tweaking my recipes. I always have Mountain House meals leftover from hunts. I bought this one awhile back just to try. I like to try them before I commit to having no choice but to eat them after a day of elk hunting. The next one I want to sample is the turkey dinner casserole. Has stuffing and veggies. I actually like Mountain Houses.... well some of them. I had chicken and dumplings homemade from scratch two weeks ago. Yes it was better! :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have tried it twice and had a hard time getting it to liquidate properly. It was okay, I would eat it again, but it isn't as good as stroganoff or lasagna!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:I have tried it twice and had a hard time getting it to liquidate properly. It was okay, I would eat it again, but it isn't as good as stroganoff or lasagna!

Gotta say that Lasagna is my least favorite. Tastes OK but holy octopus, that stuff is like industrial strength glue on the spork (I think I may still have some of it sticking to my insides somewhere)! Spaghetti and Beef Stroganoff are my all time favorites in the MH brand.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Spaghetti and Beef Stroganoff are my all time favorites in the MH brand

Interesting , those are my least favorite.

JOE it is hard for me to eat any processed food items when there is fresh food around.

One of my biggest problems is I like the food U COIK A Bit Too much :oops:
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I am no big fan of freeze dried meals, but they are good enough that I would not hesitate to have them in the back country. My wife does most of our cooking at home, and I am not ready to retire her, and just pour boiling water into a M.H. sack and call it supper.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:I am no big fan of freeze dried meals, but they are good enough that I would not hesitate to have them in the back country. My wife does most of our cooking at home, and I am not ready to retire her, and just pour boiling water into a M.H. sack and call it supper.

The only food I add hot water to is cheap hot chocolate.
My wife seldom cooks, Since Im the retired one she gets breakfast nearly daily, hand grated hash brown, sometimes bacon or ham, and eggs one way or another.
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote:I am no big fan of freeze dried meals, but they are good enough that I would not hesitate to have them in the back country. My wife does most of our cooking at home, and I am not ready to retire her, and just pour boiling water into a M.H. sack and call it supper.

The only food I add hot water to is cheap hot chocolate.
My wife seldom cooks, Since Im the retired one she gets breakfast nearly daily, hand grated hash brown, sometimes bacon or ham, and eggs one way or another.

Same here Lefty. I cook at home, but all my back country meals are cooked,not poured water on. My scouting trip next week has eggs,hash browns,sausage, coffee for breakfast, deer T bone steak and a vege for dinner. Various sacks for lunch. To me those freeze dried meals look like someone already ate them once.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 10]

The point is not who does the cooking. I agree; fresh camp, or home cooked meals are better than something that looks regurgitated. I don't know why, but I suspect the fresh stuff is significantly healthier too.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Not everyone can stomach canned tamales, stagg chili, and a can o beans for lunch on the tree stand Swede ;). Them MH meals are dang tasty and serve the purpose way back in the elk woods.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Not everyone can stomach canned tamales, stagg chili, and a can o beans for lunch on the tree stand Swede

I know exactly what you mean. I tried those, and can't stand them either. I agree M.H. meals are fine cuisine when compared to Stagg Two Bean Chili. The side effects are much less too. I tried canned tamales when I was a kid. They were awful back then. The thing that amazed me is that they are no better now over 50 years later.
#1 Fresh cooked. #2 Freeze dried. If you can't get fresh; try M.H., close your eyes, and imagine you are eating at home with your loved ones.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Can’t emphasize enough how “potent” Stagg chili is. It could win wars if dropped across enemy lines.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 14]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Can’t emphasize enough how “potent” Stagg chili is. It could win wars if dropped across enemy lines.

Please, stagg chili is weak. You should try my homemade stuff. Itll cure what ails ya.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 01, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote: I like to try them before I commit to having no choice but to eat them after a day of elk hunting. :

Ive done the same thing.

Truck camping tonight, out scouting and hanging cams for whitetail. Just had a paleo meals to go, summit savory chicken. Freeze dried meals have their place.
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Not everyone can stomach canned tamales, stagg chili, and a can o beans for lunch on the tree stand Swede

I know exactly what you mean. I tried those, and can't stand them either. I agree M.H. meals are fine cuisine when compared to Stagg Two Bean Chili. The side effects are much less too. I tried canned tamales when I was a kid. They were awful back then. The thing that amazed me is that they are no better now over 50 years later.
#1 Fresh cooked. #2 Freeze dried. If you can't get fresh; try M.H., close your eyes, and imagine you are eating at home with your loved ones.

I call that stuff slurry food.Wait until the next day and you can tell why
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I have not experienced the slurry affect thus far. For the ease of making them, I think MH is pretty darn good. I wont mistake it for my wife's cooking, that is for sure, but considering where I eat it, I have no complaints!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 18]

One thing Ive noticed with the hardcore back country backpackers,.. they all only put up with so much freeze dried food.
A few weeks back we ran into a young gal who had been hiking the Continental divide trail. She hadnt seen people for 11 days.
I had packed a flip top can of peaches in light syrup for a pancake breakfast. I offered her the can of fruit. She was thrilled.

Over the years most of my hunts have been Friday night and all day Saturday, and camp is at the truck. So I have the luxury of bringing fresh food,..

When I elk hunted in others camps all were at trail heads. We ate better than at home.

I will admit , during my trapping days away from cooking Dinty Moore stew was a daily staple. Each trip home I added a bag of apple, oranges, pepper ham, funky bologna, onion, miracle whip mustard, sour cream and potato chips and sometime donuts.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 19]

The problem I experienced with Stagg Two Bean Chili was GAS. It was awful. I had to move outside and get upwind of myself. I never experienced the slurry effect from any of the items mentioned. I don't mind canned beef stew when heated. I don't want it cold. yuck!
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Id have to be starving to death to eat a can of dinty moore stew, cold or hot.
wawhitey

Postby saddlesore » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 21]

wawhitey wrote:Id have to be starving to death to eat a can of dinty moore stew, cold or hot.

That ranks right down there with Spam. I keep a can of Spam in my camper. When I get down to the point that it's time to eat the Spam,it's time to go home.That usually happens right after I have choked down a can of Dinty Moore
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 22]

saddlesore wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Id have to be starving to death to eat a can of dinty moore stew, cold or hot.

That ranks right down there with Spam. I keep a can of Spam in my camper. When I get down to the point that it's time to eat the Spam,it's time to go home.That usually happens right after I have choked down a can of Dinty Moore

Sir, themre fightin words. Spam is delicious! :lol:
wawhitey

Postby Lsb » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 23]

wawhitey wrote:
saddlesore wrote:

Sir, themre fightin words. Spam is delicious! :lol:

I don't know. Last time I ate spam I was starving in college, drunk and it was fried. Not sure I'd call it good
Lsb

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 24]

I wouldnt call it good either, id call ot amazing. That neing said, im pretty sure it causes cancer. Ill eat it once a year or so, when its on the table at work.
wawhitey

Postby Lsb » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 25]

wawhitey wrote:I wouldnt call it good either, id call ot amazing. That neing said, im pretty sure it causes cancer. Ill eat it once a year or so, when its on the table at work.

Amazing that it gets sold as a food source
Lsb

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2018 •  [Post 26]

Lsb wrote:
wawhitey wrote:I wouldnt call it good either, id call ot amazing. That neing said, im pretty sure it causes cancer. Ill eat it once a year or so, when its on the table at work.

Amazing that it gets sold as a food source

The same can be said for anything that gets sold in a paper bag in a drive through "restaurant."
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 08 03, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Is the amazing part, fried Spam can sit for days and the flies wont bother it?
Nearly too much of anything will cause cancer :lol:

Bacon, Char grilled meat, overcooked meat, smoked meat ,.. again too much is the problem

Im not sure whats all in Spam,..(OK I really do , knowing that could be too much information) but a few times a year each for Candi Corn, and Spam. :?
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 08 03, 2018 •  [Post 28]

Spam can be compared to all beef hot dogs.All beef means from the nose to the tip of he tail. It's all beef.Same with Spam.Nose to tip of curly tail.Everything but the oink.
My neighbor use to work in the place where they made Spam.He won't eat it. Good enough reason for me not to et it
saddlesore

Postby blackbruin » 08 25, 2018 •  [Post 29]

I find it best if your not hiking in, but being packed, is to make meals you can freeze and vacuum seal. Just take out the one you want to thaw some, put in a pot of water on top of the stove and by the time your done getting changed or what not a nice hot meal! No mess but one bag you can throw in the stove... Have done meals like ham and beans, lasagna, pasta and meat sauce, ham pot pie or chicken, pork and sauerkraut etc...those freeze dried are OK when you spike it overnight somewhere or on nasty cold days as a pick me up. But for the whole time, no way.
blackbruin

First Name: Dan
Last Name: W

Postby pointysticks » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 30]

Things have gone terribly wrong if I find myself eating a mountain house meal anywhere near my home kitchen.

There is no way. I eat them ONLY while backpacking. And begrudgingly. They are acceptable because they are light and will keep me from dying of starvation while in the wilderness. The affair ends there.

I won’t eat one this year. Nope. Truck camping only this year.

I try to stay away from processed foods. Mountain house is the next level down.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Kessler10 » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 31]

Alpine Aire-Forever young Mac and Cheese

was my favorite this year.

mac and Cheese with three cheese sauce, peas, carrots and corn. Cant beat it.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Roosiebull » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 32]

Tigger wrote:I have tried it twice and had a hard time getting it to liquidate properly. It was okay, I would eat it again, but it isn't as good as stroganoff or lasagna!

stroganoff is my favorite freeze dried meal. I lived on MH for 10 days, and it wasn't bad.... some was even good. chili mac hates my digestive tract.... or maybe it's the other way around :lol: I tried it a few times just to make sure..... results were the same every time.

surprisingly, breakfast scramble isn't bad, sounds like it would be inedible, but actually turned out ok.

I admit, I will be buying and trying some different ones throughout the year, because I am curious now about all of them.
Roosiebull