Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Field points to broadheads, how do you do it?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Field points to broadheads, how do you do it?

Postby Joe Schmo » 08 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

So it’s almost time to start shooting broadheads. I struggle with this every year.
Do I shoot all of my broadheads and find the best flyers and sharpen em?
Do I only shoot a few broadheads and then find the best flyers and call em good enough?
Do I shoot a bunch and then put new blades on my go to arrows?
How do you guys do it?
I don’t want to shoot full blades and I want my arrows to fly true...
I usually shoot em, find the best flyers, put new blades on em, shoot em once or twice and as long as they’re true they are my killers for the year.
Help, I’m a mess...28 more days.
Joe Schmo

Re: Field points to broadheads, how do you do it?

Postby Jhg » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Choose the best flying arrows using f-pts. Those are the go to arrows. Then test them with the BH's. Sometimes where the blades are oriented to fletching will affect accuracy somewhat. Then mount the same (weight, model, etc) unshot or re-sharpened BH's on the arrows that passed this test. Hunt with confidence.
Jhg

Postby Wyo67 » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

This is one of the reasons I switched to the G5 Montecs a couple of years ago. I spent the extra money and bought a package of their practice heads to verify broadhead sight-in, practice with, and verify my bow is still shooting good after traveling to hunting camp. I've used replaceable blade broadheads such as Slick Tricks and Muzzy's to kill elk with no problems, I just prefer a piece of solid steel now. A few of the things I do (assuming all bow tuning has been completed and you're setup for broadhead flight):
- Spin test each arrow with broadheads and check the nock/fletching. Any wobble on either end will result in an arrow that simply doesn't fly as true as the ones that do.
- Set aside hunting arrows from my supply. I usually individually number and aside 6-8 arrows that I will test during pre-season to have in my quiver during archery season.
- Verify each arrow flight with a practice broadhead. I go out to 50yds.
- Sharpen a supply of hunting broadheads. Elknut1 had a post a couple years back that gave excellent step-by-step instructions on how to do so - takes about 15 minutes per head.
- Replace the practice head with a hunting broadhead and re-verify flight a couple of times. Touch up the hunting broadhead with a couple of swipes of a fine stone and strop.
- Set aside the arrow and leave it alone until hunting season.
- I keep one hunting arrow set aside for continued practice up until the season.

I love to tinker with the bow, different arrow setups and broadheads etc during the year..., but when the time comes that I've waited and practiced all year for, I want to know for sure that arrow is going to go where I have that pin set. Over the years, I've learned I have to set it, leave it and just verify it is all good once I get to camp.

Hope this helps.
Wyo67

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I am the culprit that moved this topic to the equipment forum. Thanks for your understanding.

I pretty much go with Wyo67, except I use replaceable blade broadheads. I can never get blades consistently as sharp as the factory does. Have a good helical or offset fletch large enough to control the arrow flight, have proper weight forward and proper spine and you should be good to go.
I have never found that aligning broadheads with the fletch did anything. After all, by the time the fletch reaches the point where the broadhead, it has already rotated in flight. A properly set arrow is spinning in flight as soon as it leaves the bow. Broadheads have small wings that try to effect arrow flight. It is the job of the fletch to take control.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I use two blade stingers and one benefit is they are super easy to sharpen. So I switch over as soon as the last 3D shoot is over and start letting broad heads fly.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Joe Schmo » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thanks a bunch guys. Just trying to get as many things dialed in so I don't have to do it all last second :/
Wyo67 wrote:Elknut1 had a post a couple years back that gave excellent step-by-step instructions on how to do so - takes about 15 minutes per head.

^^Anyone know where to find this post?
Joe Schmo

Postby Wyo67 » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Schmo,

I emailed it to myself a couple of years ago. Goes like this.. . "Heads as Snuffers, newer SnufferSS, Wensel Woodsmans, Montecs, Razorcaps & like heads all need attention before use!

I do not like any head straight out of the package, I sharpen all heads better than the way they come to us. I start by blacking out all 6 surfaces with a sharpie then I pull them from back to front over a 12" bastard file until all surfaces are shinning, you must get them shinning from back to tip completely. This step can take 5 minutes per head.

Once done, I use a med/fine Arkansas flat bench stone. I again pull the head from back to tip. I do all sides 15 times, that's per side before turning head, then 12 then 10 then 8 then 6 then 4 then 2 then 1. I then turn the stone over on the fine side & repeat. Once I'm done with those steps I then with the weight of the head only pull it along the fine side once per side another 20-30 times with little to no finger wt. Once I hit each side once that's considered 3 strokes. When you are done those bad boys are razor sharp!!! -15 min minutes per head is common! After this initial shaping & sharpening is done, it only takes a minute or so to put an edge back on if needed!

ElkNut1"
Wyo67

Postby jmez » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I shoot my broadheads all year. Every time I shoot. When I shot replaceable blades I just installed new blades to hunt. Shooting VPA now so just sharpen to hunt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Joe Schmo » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Thanks WYO!!
Joe Schmo

Postby 82ndreddevil » 08 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I bought a pine ridge spin tester, kind of pricey but worth it. I spin test the Arrow and broadhead, shoot it, if I’m happy with it I spin test it again and put it away. I have found that sometimes if you slightly overtighten or if you get debris in the threads you get a slight wobble when you spin the arrow. Spin testing every arrow before and after every shot can be time consuming but it makes me feel better.
82ndreddevil

Postby Roosiebull » 08 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I generally shoot 2 arrows at a time when shooting, and have a 3rd with a broadhead on it, and shoot it every few days to make sure nothing changes. during the season, when I get home/back to camp, I will shoot one arrow with a broadhead, keeps confidence up, and know my bow is still in tune.

the trick for me has been to keep my bow in tune all year, make sure arrows are squared (asd tool, or squaring jig) spin test every arrow, and shoot every arrow/broadhead combo and then in the quiver. some heads are more forgiving than others, magnus black hornets, stingers are very forgiving, my kudu heads are super forgiving, as well as iron will. I have never shot a replaceable blade 3 blade as forgiving as any of them.

this year was the easiest tuning ever, nothing beyond paper tune needed, broadheads shoot with field points at least to 60 yds, I think it's a combo of getting lucky, and shooting a heavy arrow with 6 mini blazers, and good foc, as well as a super forgiving head. my arrows don't show the little subtle form flaws any more than my field points do, i'm loving that aspect of my rig this year.

those kudu broadheads are pretty amazing, forgiving as any, cannot dull them, made locally, very reasonably priced. look forward to seeing how they "work" next month :D
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Roosiebull: You seemed to make sense. Are you collecting your wits, or is it time for me to go see a good shrink? :lol: Anyway, good points.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Beendare » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 13]

How do I do it? ...theres a thread on that

With my recurve; I bare shaft tuned for good arrow flight. If you can get a bare shaft to group with your FP's at 10,15, 20 yds- you are golden. works with a compound too.
My BH's shoot the same as my FP's if I do my job.....done!
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics