Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bivy suggestions?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bivy suggestions?

Postby RichM » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I'm thinking of tossing a bivy into my pack for my upcoming deer hunt. What are peoples opinions on bivys for a side sleeper.
I'm leaning towards the Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy, but the price is painful. My deer hunt this year is going to be in early November in southern NM so not super cold, maybe freezing. But I've drawn for some February hunts in the past that put me in the low 20s overnight.
Opinions?

Thanks
Rich
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Re: Bivy suggestions?

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I would divide the expensive price over the years you will be able to use the bivy, and divide that again by a comfort factor. Then compare that to a cheap one, and see what the real cost is. I'm thinking the good bivy will come out in this case.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I looked at a bunch and still went with an 8x12 sil tarp. I liked how I can get all my gear under it, cook or dress under it, pitch in various ways for stargazing or for foul weather, and in general fit it to any need or terrain or situation. Very light. The ready made bivys do shine in ease of set up. Just roll them open and climb in. It doesn't get any easier than that. Nice after a long/late day on the mountain. Sil tarps do take some thought and some time to pitch.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My father in law gave me a bivi bag he used in the tundra when hunting Alaska.
He kept dry but the bugs were still relentless.

I use to sleep out 50-80 plus nights a year... now most of those nights are in a camper shell,.. some in a tent or under a tarp.
Frost, dew, rain, and bugs are 4 reasons I sleep "inside a tent"
I move around a lot at night and I dont stay all the way in a mummy bag,. with my head and arms out much of the night. A tent works good for me. Mostly because of bugs and dew/frost

Im my scout troop a bunch of the boys have 1 and 2 man tents . Three have the inexpensive
https://www.campman.com/gear-garage/eureka-solitaire-1-person-backpacking-tent-used/?sku=U2628307-2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-eynwa_03AIViFp-Ch2_pgCZEAQYAiABEgIM_PD_BwE
They have camped in rain, snow, wind, frost, and bugs and work great .

Dont think because you are in NM the weather will be nice. A year ago in June we had frost one night, most nights in the low 50's but one night it was 89 degrees an hour after sunset.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 5]

To me the question is... is it a purchase or an investment. So do you have a use for it other than this hunt? If so invest in it. If not I wouldn’t make the purchase.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby six » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

FB_IMG_1534535178398.jpg
FB_IMG_1534535178398.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 3803 times

Well here's the best of both worlds. A bivy with a tarp. Love being able to keep my gear dry and slide out and look at the stars.

The bivy is a SJK Slumberjack. I would buy one again if I needed another. Bivy's take some getting use to. You definitely need to sleep in it at home a couple times before you go.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 08 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

six wrote:
FB_IMG_1534535178398.jpg
,,,,,,, You definitely need to sleep in it at home a couple times before you go.

Same goes for hammocking ; is that a word

Wednesday we took the scout troop out for an overnighter. Many of the boys had sports in the early AM :D :D
At 5:00 I could hear a boy rolling in his bag,.. he was 12 feet up in the tree beside my truck
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Definitely go with the OR if you get a bivy. Topped off with a good (but pricey) insulated pad, pad cover, bag and bag liner and it's heavenly.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff