Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Last minute( for some of us anyway) hunt prep-check.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Last minute( for some of us anyway) hunt prep-check.

Postby Lefty » 08 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Some of my "stuff " I use all year long; A few items are only archery elk, big game, hunting type items.

My wife and I are off to a training for her work. I realized I have cool weather work clothes, and all sorts of decent cool weather camo stuff . But nothing to wear with medical professionals and such.

This week I did the last minute hunting prep,.. my wife said I have a mess :lol:

I took the truck in; all the fluids are changed and tires rotated.
All the camp sleeping gear has been washed
All my clothes packed in storage with sage brush. ( my thing with the sage brush)
Most of the gear for my day pack is in one pile, What happened to my painters plastic,... Hee-- Heee;, replaced that too.
New "tool box" for meat and kill kit and extra stuff, just waiting on water and snacks.
I checked or replaced all my batteries including "pickup gear"
I still need to replace the zipper pull on my sleeping bag
Cleaned all the glass on optics including my windshield

What are your last minute items to prep,.. ooops I haven't put my tag in my knife sheath

I expect Darby Montana Ill be able to check this thread 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Last minute( for some of us anyway) hunt prep-check.

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 19, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I was just thinking of all the stuff I need to do this week to get ready for the 30th. I drew on a bull hunt that starts in October but my wife will be archery hunting. I'm excited to try and help her close the deal this year. Lots to do but we should be ready to roll come the opener :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 19, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Sounds like you're just about ready to roll Lefty! I did assemble my backwoods stovepipe stabilizer/guy line piece (thanks to Saddlesore for the blueprint).. I also finished packing up 16 day pack snack pack ziplocks. Still gotta get the lithium batteries for my GPS and headlamp(s). Got a new bino harness coming from Sitka in a week or so (anxious to pair that up with my binos). Gonna order the rest of the freeze dried chow I soon as I finish typing this. Good reminder on the hunting tags... I need to put them in the lid of my pack!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 08 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I haven't even started packing. If I pack too soon, I will forget where I put it or if I even brought it! I will start laying stuff out in my hunting room soon though. I am still trying to decide between my 2 packs. The bigger one or the smaller one. The small one fits better and is more comfy, but I have been using the bigger one for training all year. Smaller = lighter = more better in my book!

It is soon boys, it is soon. T-minus 26 days for me.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 08 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:I haven't even started packing. If I pack too soon, I will forget where I put it or if I even brought it! I will start laying stuff out in my hunting room soon though. I am still trying to decide between my 2 packs. The bigger one or the smaller one. The small one fits better and is more comfy, but I have been using the bigger one for training all year. Smaller = lighter = more better in my book!

It is soon boys, it is soon. T-minus 26 days for me.

Just start piling stuff in a safe corner
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 6]

i'm flying to my hunt this year. very different for me.

i am going in light!! i am not hunting tho. i didnt draw a tag. helping my brother that did.

i bought a license so i can plink grouse. big duffel bag with sleeping bag and clothing. day pack as carry on with optics..gun case with .22 and knife.

no cooking gear, no food, no truck :(

it is all stacked in the guest room bed. i'm on the first flight out this friday.. my wife is pissed since she is driving me to the distant airport.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l