Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bow Suggestions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bow Suggestions

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Team Wapititalk,

I plan on hunting this season with a rifle, but already have my sights set on trying to find a bow to start practicing with for next season. I want to work towards trying to experience elk hunting in the full rut, as well as have noticed there is a lot of river bottom tag availability for archery only, which I would like to break into. I have already started doing extensive research, and I am sure a bow is like a rifle where everyone has their own favorite, but can you guys give me any pointer as I wade into this new world? I would like to buy a nice setup to start, with the intent of keeping it a while, but I also wouldn’t mind buying a lightly used model if I can find a good deal. This might be too broad of a question, but I thought I would throw it out and see what you guys have to say. If it helps I’m a tall/ larger guy and I plan on hunting elk and deer with it in the mountains/ river bottom.

Thanks!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Bow Suggestions

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 2]

One of the biggest things is getting your draw length right. So go to a local bow shop get measured, my draw length is 29" and I'm 6 '1" 240 lbs my best friend is 6'1" 210 lbs and he has monkey arms with a 31" draw. If you have a choice go to a bow shop the has many different brands of bows, Mathews, Hoyt, Bear just to name a few and start shooting. See what fits better. To each there own on brands I like my Mathews $(1000), I shoot a spot hog realise ($100), black gold sites ($120), carbon Express hunters arrows($140 for 12), shuttle t lock broadhead ($40 for 3), and cheap quiver($50). Bow case, field tips, peep sight and string wax another $100.
Get measured and set a max price you want to spend and go have fun.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good advice. I shoot a Mathews as well and love it. What I did when I bought my first bow was go to the bow shop and had them hand me bows without telling me the brand. I pulled them back and picked the one I liked the best. Then I found out what brand it was. Also, you get what you pay for.
Tigger

Postby adamds22 » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Agreed, your best bet is a bow shop. I made the mistake of going to Bass Pro to get my Bear bow. While I do like the Bear Authority that I have, I had a lot of issues with it until I took it to a bow shop to get a bunch of stuff redone.
adamds22

Postby Jhg » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I encourage you to look seriously at traditional archery. Its harder to master, but the rewards are many. Its a simple sport that puts a heavy premium on woods skill and practice.
Jhg

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 23, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thanks guys! I’ll head to a bow shop and try a bunch of different setups out, get measured and see what feels best. I hadn’t been looking at traditional gear, but I like that idea as well.

What is the smallest practice area that I could get away with? Is 30 yards too short, even if it means I can shoot almost ever evening? Or would finding a place to go that allows longer shots, but being able to visit it less frequently, be a better idea?
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 24, 2018 •  [Post 7]

30 yards is perfect. Just shoot 20-30 yards till you start wrecking arrow. Build up your muscle memory. It shouldn't take long. Just shoot, if it helps join a league if you have time. Then start long range bombing.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S