Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Filters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Filters

Postby ishy » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

You guys that use filters nervous about drinking where cattle are? I got some bad renal function labs recently and have always just packed water but thinking I should do anything and everything to drink more until I get into see the Nephrologist September 18th.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Re: Filters

Postby six » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

It's my understanding filters are for beaver fever (giardia). That being said I use my filter 100% of the time on my hunt. No sense taking chances.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Navesgane » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

You can always do the filter then sterilize with chlorine tabs.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Compared to stomach cramps and screaming diarrhea, the few minutes it takes to filter water is time well spent.
Elkhntr08

Postby ishy » 08 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I'd never drink natural without filtering, I've seen the kind of suffering it can cause in friends. Just wondering if cattle areas slow anyone with a filter and you still just pack all the water you need.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Treestandgoatman » 08 30, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I try to filter from where the spring comes up, but last weekend I had to filter out of a stagnant cow pond. Water tast good, and I didn't have any problems. I'm using the sawer squeeze bag system.

Has anyone become sick after just filtering there water? I would think the market wouldn't support itself if these filters are only good for clear spring water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Treestandgoatman

Postby stumpy waters » 09 01, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I use a gravity flow with a sawyer mini and also a charcoal filter, and once it gets in the clean bag I add aquamira drops. That way i pretty much cover everything possible regardless of the source. Probably overkill but so far I haven’t had a trip I interrupted over bad water. Cow ponds look nasty, but you have fish in the clearest of streams so I figure it’s all contaminated to some degree.
stumpy waters

Postby Jhg » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Has Sawyer added a gravity filter design? As I understand it, on my mini filter if used as a gravity filter the media gets front loaded with larger particles blocking off the smaller galleries designed to trap the smallest contaminates rendering it less effective. The smaller particles get passed through the filter instead of trapped in it since they can't get into the smaller galleries. Pressure forces them into the smaller galleries past the larger galleries somehow. Am I mis-informed about that?
Jhg