Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Boots for Rifle Season Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Boots for Rifle Season Elk

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am planning to hunt the October rifle season in CO next year. I have Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots but I am thinking I might need something taller and warmer in case of snow. I would say thag my feet are on the narrow aide but I rarely have a problem with fit in any of the brands that I have used. What do you guys use?
VT Sasquatch

Re: Boots for Rifle Season Elk

Postby Lsb » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I've been wearing kenetreck mountain extremes with 400 grams of thinsulate for several years.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I sure like the Zamberlan 980 boots for late season.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 4]

X2 on the 980's. A less expensive, but solid boot, is the 400 gram Danner Pronghorn. Not a stiff mtn boot by any means but I have found a stiff boot aften overkill if you have good ankles. I like the groundfeel I get from less ridged boots. Stiffer boots are not very good for quiet walking in timber.
Jhg

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys. I have a pair of Lowa Tibet Superwarm that I use for deer hunting in cold weather. I have not worn them much but I bet they would do okay with gaiters. I would say they are 8” tall or so. I would like to try something taller. I’ll check out the Zamberlans.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I looked at those Zamberlan 980 and was about to order but it looks like they are not insulated. The 1005 Hunter Pro looks very similar but is insulated. However, the wide last on the 1005 concerns me (I wear a C width in dress shoes bit D is fine for everything else). Is anyone familiar with how these 2 compare? Thanks
VT Sasquatch

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Use the boots you have, and pick up some goretex knee high gaiters.

Re. insulation, I prefer my boots not have any, so I can wear them in multiple seasons. If you keep your core warm, have a light liner sock, and good merino outer sock, you'll be fine down to about 10 degrees. After that you should be wearing Pac boots anyways. My grandpa swears by Schnees. The biggest things are a warm torso and butt, and good circulation through your feet.

If you HAVE *wink, wink* to get a pair of new boots, check out Schnees, and also talk to Lathrop and Sons. They know mountain hunting and late season.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Thanks Trumpkin. We do a lot of sitting and slow stillhunting out here so maybe I focus on insulation too much. I have pac boots and several pairs of lower cut uninsulated boots. If quality/dirability is the same I’ll probably get the 1005s. However, it seems the 980 get a lot more attention.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 9]

VT Sasquatch wrote:Thanks Trumpkin. We do a lot of sitting and slow stillhunting out here so maybe I focus on insulation too much. I have pac boots and several pairs of lower cut uninsulated boots. If quality/dirability is the same I’ll probably get the 1005s. However, it seems the 980 get a lot more attention.

Oh that's different then! A lot of sitting and glassing does change things when it's cold. I'm used to putting on the miles looking to cut tracks. I can tell you that Zamberlans run a bit narrow in the toe box. I like them, but they are almost too narrow for me, and I don't have particularly wide feet.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Thanks. I have been reading about elk hunting and I think I approached it wrong the last time I was out. I hunted somewhat like my whitetail hunting. I know elk cover more ground and I think I should have been on my feet more when I was out there. The need for the boots would be rifle season elk hunting. I guess a good pair of socks might eliminate the need for insulation if I stay mobile. I'm hoping to do a drop camp next year during one of the rifle seasons.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Indian Summer » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Danner makes some very nice boots. I can’t wear them because they run narrow. Might be perfect for you.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 12, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Thanks, I'll check them out.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 09 12, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Another Schnees fan here. They have a bunch of lace-up pack boots that might fit the bill.
Tigger

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Do you use pac boots even if there is no snow?
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I ended up buying a pair of Zamberlan 1005. They are similar to the 980 but with a very thin layer of insulation. The are made with a wide last but don't see too wide for me. I am looking forward to some colder weather to try them out.
VT Sasquatch