Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Frame/backpacking pack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Frame/backpacking pack

Postby Ncelkchaser » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Looking to buy a new frame/backpacking pack for elk season next year. Pack weight in the past has been 65lbs or so. What are you guys using? Need one to fit my body frame also!!!
Ncelkchaser

Re: Frame/backpacking pack

Postby Indian Summer » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Pack prices vary greatly. What’s your budget and what exactly do you want it to be able to do?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I really like my Kuiu Ultra Pro pack frame. It is a great meat hauler, versatile, fits well and is very light. In their outlet department, they have the 2016 model on sale. My son has the 2016 and I have the 2017, and I would have to put them side by side to see what if any difference there is. I have used his frame and it worked the same as mine. The frame can be used with a whole assortment of packs including a meat hauler attachment.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Treestandgoatman » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I upgraded to a Seek Outside Periguin this year, and am very happy with it. It does day & multiple day packs great. I could probably fit 5 days of food with my sleep setup, but it compresses down really nice for day mode. I forget to take it off while doing setups, it fits like a glove, packs a load great, and is very adjustable. One reason I went with Seek Outside is because they are water proof, and I will soon be getting soaked while spending time in a tree waiting for the blacktail of my dreams to come by. Also made in the great US of A.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Treestandgoatman

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I bought a EXO 3500 and haven’t found anything I don’t like about it. It’s replacing a Eberlestock J107, which is still a good pack.
I looked at the EXO and the Metcalf. Liked the side pockets for spotting scope on the EXO, so that’s the one I went with.
Lots of great packs out there, it’s a tough decision to make. Buy once, cry once was the best advice I got.
Elkhntr08

Postby Ncelkchaser » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I have a Alaskan frame pack and just the frame. Does the job but really like to have a better pack to haul in 5-10 days. Hauled some heavey loads of meat with the Alaskan . Really like a light weight pack to cut some lbs......not getting any younger!!!
Ncelkchaser

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I have had an Alaska frame pack for years. It is ok for short hauls and moderate weights. It is miserable for anything more. It has limited adjustment. It rides almost entirely on my shoulders. As with all soft belt frames, you can not make it ride on your hips to relieve any weight from your shoulders, and with no load adjusters the weight just sinks to the bottom and rides there. It is not a good situation for any long or weighty haul. Also the pack is heavy on its own.
Find a pack that is light, adjustable with good load levelers, and a firm belt that when cinched up rides on your hips. You will pay more, but your body will thank you. I waited far to long to leave my Alaska pack, which I purchased from Cabelas years ago, at home. It still looks fine in my hunting room, and I could use it to haul junk to my tree stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby jmez » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I use Stone Glacier bags and frames. They fit me well and have have a ton of adjustability. They fit my style of hunting well.

Very light weight system that works well as both a daypack and heavy hauler when needed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby stringunner » 10 04, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I upgraded this year to stone glacier 5900. Love it. Very adjustable. Great bag, but many bag options to choose from. I won’t go smaller, I thought the 5900 would be to big for day bag but it adjusts down to a good day pack size. I used it to haul my bull out this year, the comfort allowed me to pack more weight than I was ever able to with Kelty cache hauler. I carried out 75lbs and could have kept going after about a mile. I only weigh 135 lbs. it carried my tree stands between the bag and frame ok. I did also purchase a cargo panel from Kifaru that attaches to the frame really well and that made it easier for just tree stand loads.

I also purchased a water bladder holder/mini pack to go inside my stone glacier pack from Exo. That worked well too and it attaches to the outside of the kifaru cargo panel as well so I can pack water easily when setting stands.

Sort of a frankenpack set up but it all works awesome. I like the stone glacier frame because it has a built in meat shelf as well.

I don’t see myself changing this set up for a really long time.
stringunner

Postby Magic » 10 06, 2018 •  [Post 10]

We wear Badlands Superday packs while hunting and the first trip out. On the return trip our Alaskan pack frames from Cabela's are still going strong. No need to change.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Roosiebull » 10 07, 2018 •  [Post 11]

On a budget, horn hunter full curl is awesome, hauls weight like crazy, very functional.

Best all around pack I have had on is the exo 3500, all around great pack.

I have a kuiu as well, it's my fishing pack, my little mystery ranch popup 18 hauls a heavy load way better for me than my kuiu.

Mystery ranch makes great packs for the money too, by far the toughest of my packs, super well made
Roosiebull