Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Introducing maybe the best thing ever...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Introducing maybe the best thing ever...

Postby Jhg » 10 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

20181004_134926.jpg
20181004_134926.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
I give you the good ol fashioned dickie. Best thermal bang for size of any layer available IMO. Wear over the 1st layer, under the 3rd. I either buy mine or cut them out of thrift store sweaters that don't otherwise fit. I look for tall turtlenecks that I can pull up to just below my ears if I need to, or, If I get over heated, the dickie can be pulled out/off without removing anything else- no other layers, pack etc. They are light, easy to store and best of all add thermal to your core. A baclava does not do this. I never liked how baclavas felt anyway, all bunched around the neck. A t-neck feels more organized to me (if that makes sense). I have used them for years and manys the time I was glad I had one in my pack. Smaller and lighter than a extra shirt or sweater, there is no reason to not pack one and the diff they make is substantial. I often start hunts with them on if its cold and pull them off as I warm up on the climb. Sometimes I don't even stop hiking - just off and stuff into side pocket as I hike. The dickie. An old old idea that works great. Try one. They are cheap.
Jhg

Re: Introducing maybe the best thing ever...

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I am going to the local Goodwill store, and get a couple of these for next season. I sat in my stand in a cold spot this past season and was chilled every day. Another nice thing I see is that the dickie won't interfere with your shooting. There are no sleeves to catch my bow string. Thanks for the thread.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 10 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Added points if the sweater ever won an Ugliest Sweater contest.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have an Artic Cat, Almost too thick and warm!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:Added points if the sweater ever won an Ugliest Sweater contest.

Are you thinking maybe that one did?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 6]

That sweater color is ugly all right, but who cares when you are out hunting, especially if it is worn as an undergarment? When I go to church, my coach, I mean wife makes sure I am dressed well and look as good as an old Swede can. There is no problem with ugly clothes in a tree stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics