Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk around Yellowstone

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk around Yellowstone

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

My wife and I made a spring trip to Yellowstone.
My wife needed a break and we did something we have never done before. We spent two consecutive nights in the same Motel.
We saw a lot of elk still on the winter range Just out of Gardnier Montana maybe 2500 -3000 elk plenty of mule deer. And antelope. all the bigger bulls have dropped I did spot a little 4x4 with head gear and around 30 spikes
A lot of elk scattered from Mammoth
toLamar Valley .

Watched a pack of wolves at a den , listened to a few wolf nuts and freaks, quite entertaining and sometimes interesting .
We easily saw twice the elk this year than last year for opening weekend. Certainly more snow on the ground
Took a elk ride this-morning, game was loaded up along the roads
Even tourist watching is great sport
6C99EB55-EB5A-4CA4-B43D-23AB88D9D392.jpeg

1648DD61-F480-4132-AB43-A9A79DE9BABE.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Elk around Yellowstone

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

It looks like it was a great outing. I need to get out as cabin fever is starting to get to me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

63A7A268-FD30-4A10-AF3D-690087C9543C.jpeg

Swede here is a Baptist bull Easter morning they even had the grills ready for him
Monday there were three more ratty looking bulls on the church yard
The Catholic Church has deer hanging out in the parking lot
Some elk at school -Monday the ball fields had bison

CC03A349-2778-4112-B349-C923BAF4F043.jpeg
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Those Baptists will do well to let that bull go until he can get a little fat back on those bones. Right now the critter reminds me of a hide stretched over a bicycle that has been in a bad wreck.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I spoke to the elk hunting gal at the motel. She said that bull was in town early last winter and the only reason it was alive irt was going after bird feed and horse hay . Some towns people tried to nurse it back to health. The gal thought it just should have been put down.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I was sitting in my tree stand one day and this cow came by that was in the same condition as that bull. I thought about putting her out of her misery, but decided it could cause me a lot of trouble. She hobbled away to be coyote bait somewhere else. I had no idea about that bull, but he is obviously not something I would want to stick a fork into. He reminds me of the spawned out salmon I see in the rivers around here. Yuck!
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Im guessing that elk was too close to Yellowstone to out right put it down
Out of the 30 or so spikes I saw within 5 miles , many had a funky or short right spike. I saw one other with the right side club!

I was traveling through The Bear River bird refuge; a swan was beside the road, obviously suffering and dying. Up ahead I could see an old station wagon,... Nobody had those anymore. Two guys with binos looking our direction. Two young Federal Fish and Wildlife guys . I pulled up and kind chewed them out,.. Even more amusing, they got out of the car and walked back to dispatch the bird.
Ive maybe called in on 6-7 road cripppled deer. One sheriff asked if I had a gun,.. .
Little over a year ago, mid day a few miles from my place I saw a bull moose standing beside the freeway. looked like he was hurt bad. Called the Highway patrol. It was on the rez. Heard the rez took care of him.
Lefty

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Dangit Lefty! You're making me homesick, just talking about Yellowstone and such. And then you add pictures!!! Cripes, man. That isn't nice!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Dangit Lefty! You're making me homesick, just talking about Yellowstone and such. And then you add pictures!!! Cripes, man. That isn't nice!

Where are your from,.. I May be able to make you even more homesick :D
Lefty

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote: Where are your from,.. I May be able to make you even more homesick :D

What time of life? :mrgreen:

Billings, Bozeman, Missoula... the entire Absaroka-beartooth wilderness area. It's all home to me.

*Just realized I never updated my signature... I'm living in Austin, TX now. Hence the homesickness.*
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:
Lefty wrote: Where are your from,.. I May be able to make you even more homesick :D

What time of life? :mrgreen:
Billings, Bozeman, Missoula... the entire Absaroka-beartooth wilderness area. It's all home to me.
*Just realized I never updated my signature... I'm living in Austin, TX now. Hence the homesickness.*

Ah,.. we generally play a bit more south
Lefty

Postby Deanmac » 04 27, 2019 •  [Post 12]

We were there a couple years ago, elk all around the school and post office. They totally ignored the people. Love yellowstone.
Deanmac