Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips
 

August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2020 •  [Post 1]

The August 2020 Photo Theme is – "Cool, Clear, Water…..”.

1. One photo submission allowed per month, per member (yep, MODs may enter a photo also).
2. Photo must relate to the monthly theme (or risk being disqualified).
3. Do not use photo editing software to enhance your photo. Just post the photo as it was taken with your camera, smart phone, trail cam, etc. You may have to resize some photos so they are accepted by the forum software; remember, photos can only be 800X600 pixels "MAX" for our forum.
4. You may use older photos you have on hand, but, do not submit a photo that has won a previous WT photo contest.
5. Any WT member may enter a photo they have taken or star in.
6. Judging – WT members will vote on monthly photo submissions.
7. Contest period will normally end the last day of the month.
8. Winner must contact WapitiTalk1 via PM and provide mailing address for prize (your prize may be sent directly from a WT sponsor or from RJ).
9. Prizes will vary from month to month.
10. All monthly winners will be automatically entered into the "photo of the year" contest.

The prize for the August 2020 contest is (to be determined).
User avatar
WapitiTalk1
 
Posts: 7645
Joined: 06 10, 2012
Location: WA State
First Name: RJ

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby Lefty » 07 31, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I could enter cool clear water stories,
User avatar
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: 06 25, 2012
Location: Pocatello Idaho
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby wawhitey » 08 01, 2020 •  [Post 3]

well crap. Im anchored up on the kuskokwim river right now. It may be cool, but its about as far from clear as you can get.
Real eyes realize real lies
User avatar
wawhitey
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: 02 21, 2013
Location: Stevens co, WA

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby 7mmfan » 08 01, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I've got some good ones I think, but where I'm going next weekend will take the cake I think. Will wait until then to post something.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 508
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby wawhitey » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 5]

my view right now, anchored up on the tow wire on the lower kuskokwim river.
Attachments
20200801_231651_copy_800x450.jpg
20200801_231651_copy_800x450.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Real eyes realize real lies
User avatar
wawhitey
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: 02 21, 2013
Location: Stevens co, WA

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby maverick11 » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 6]

31f8228d268f0ad7d9c0e2e6ae6c71b3.jpg
31f8228d268f0ad7d9c0e2e6ae6c71b3.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 100 times
maverick11
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 03 02, 2013

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby Indian Summer » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 7]

If you’ve never been on the Great Lakes I can tell you that not only does it get cold up there but the water is crystal clear. You can see bottom in 20 plus feet of water. I’m very lucky to live so close to Lake Erie. It’s a freshwater ocean!
Attachments
C1005482-C683-40E8-841B-78183D5E60F3.jpeg
User avatar
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant
 
Posts: 4696
Joined: 06 14, 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:well crap. Im anchored up on the kuskokwim river right now. It may be cool, but its about as far from clear as you can get.


The kuskokwim is huge!!! I didn't know rivers could get so big till I went up there for a summer in college. Are you out on salt, or up river?
User avatar
Trumkin the Dwarf
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 512
Joined: 06 14, 2013
Location: Montana
First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby Billy Goat » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 9]

if you ever find yourself in the Banff, AB area, do not pass a chance at Lake Louise or Lake Moraine. Both beautiful. this is Louise, a side view from the hiking trail on the east side of the lake.

technically, the water isn't that clear. it's glacier melt blue, and "cloudy" from powdered rock ground off by the glacier.

Just beautiful and the picture doesn't do it any justice. and yes, it's really that blue!
Attachments
Louise resized.JPG
Louise resized.JPG (205.1 KiB) Viewed 101 times
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
User avatar
Billy Goat
Rank: Calf
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 05 08, 2020
Location: Denton, TX

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby juglow » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 10]

based on last month and what i've seen so far, think I'm going to pass. Not that good. lol
Some amazing pictures.
User avatar
juglow
Rank: New User
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 02 20, 2014
First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby 7mmfan » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 11]

juglow wrote:based on last month and what i've seen so far, think I'm going to pass. Not that good. lol
Some amazing pictures.


Throw it in there and label it "Swede's Submission". He'll thank you later.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 508
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby 7mmfan » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Took this the summer of 2003. I had just graduated high school and was working for Holland America Cruise Lines in Skagway AK on the luggage crew that loaded and unloaded the ships. Was a fun job for an 18 year old. I was able to sneak away for 4 days and hike the Chilkoot trail, that all the gold miners did in the late 1800's. I took this picture from the shore of Lindeman Lake, the day after we crested the pass and traveled down the north side into the Northwest Territories. I would love to go back and take a couple of weeks on the trail and explore all the ground around there. Some amazing country.
Attachments
lindeman lake.jpg
lindeman lake.jpg (150.2 KiB) Viewed 43 times
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 508
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby 7mmfan » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I've also taken the liberty of posting a photo for Swede. He shared this photo with me recently, said it was near and dear to his heart, but couldn't bring himself to share it with the world. I think we have a winner here. Everyone vote SWEDE!
Attachments
Swede.jpg
Swede.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 42 times
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
User avatar
7mmfan
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 508
Joined: 09 07, 2017
Location: Washington State

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby Deanmac » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Billy Goat wrote:if you ever find yourself in the Banff, AB area, do not pass a chance at Lake Louise or Lake Moraine. Both beautiful. this is Louise, a side view from the hiking trail on the east side of the lake.

technically, the water isn't that clear. it's glacier melt blue, and "cloudy" from powdered rock ground off by the glacier.

Just beautiful and the picture doesn't do it any justice. and yes, it's really that blue!



Been there a beautiful place
Deanmac
Rank: Satellite Bull
 
Posts: 321
Joined: 11 02, 2015
Location: Bremen GA

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I am voting for Swede. Anyway, I just like the picture. As you say, it is dear to my heart.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics
 
Posts: 8293
Joined: 06 16, 2012

Re: August 2020 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby wawhitey » 08 14, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:
wawhitey wrote:well crap. Im anchored up on the kuskokwim river right now. It may be cool, but its about as far from clear as you can get.


The kuskokwim is huge!!! I didn't know rivers could get so big till I went up there for a summer in college. Are you out on salt, or up river?


Its not so huge when you get up toward bethel and you have a 400' barge, and you have to worry about running aground in shallow water. The channels deep enough to barely have a few feet under the boat get extremely narrow. Got the barge so close to the bank heading downriver i could almost reach out and grab brush. Scary stuff.
Real eyes realize real lies
User avatar
wawhitey
Rank: An Elk Nut
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: 02 21, 2013
Location: Stevens co, WA