Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Youth Outdoor Activity Day

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Youth Outdoor Activity Day

Postby Tigger » 07 14, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I wanted to share something with WTers that I am leading in the Alexandria MN area. This is the 3rd year of a free event that features hands on outdoor activities for kids and families which will be held on Sunday, August 28th. We have a facebook page now (Youth Outdoor Activity Day - Alexandria MN) and are on youtube (search for Youth Outdoor Activity Day). We could really use some traffic, likes, comments, shares, etc on our Facebook page. We should also be on Ron Schara's Minnesota Bound TV show very soon. This year we received a Youth Recruitment and Retention grant from the Minnesota DNR for just over $24,000. Part of that money will be used to give away hundreds (I think about 700) rods and reels, 70 bows and 60 BB guns. We will have 35-40 different activities for kids to do, including trap shooting, archery, tomahawk throwing, geocaching, dog handling, fire building, shelter building, outdoor cooking, climbing wall, etc. We are bringing in a trick shooting archery guy for a presentation as well.

This event is totally free. We will give a tee shirt to the first 2,350 kids who attend and free lunch for everyone. Two conservation groups have come together to put this on; the Douglas County Chapter of Pheasants Forever and Viking Sportsmen.

We will need about 250 volunteers this year I think. The other thing we need is people to bring kids who do not have the opportunity to try some of these activities. That is our target audience. If you, or anyone you know, will be in the area that day, I will guarantee you will have fun day if you come out and join us!
Tigger

Re: Youth Outdoor Activity Day

Postby wawhitey » 07 14, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Youre in the wrong part of the country for me to help, but good on you. Getting kids involved and exposed to outdoor activities is probably the only chance we have to prevent hunting from being taught in history class.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 08 23, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I am shamelessly bringing this back to the top as our event is this weekend. If anyone will be in the area, bring some kids and stop on by!
Tigger

Postby Deafirishman » 08 23, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I may just have to stop by this year. I am only about 50 minutes from Alexandria. I am surprised I have not been to one before. Probably will bring my 2 youngest with as my oldest daughter has decided she doesn't like hunting and fishing anymore...my 2 youngest love it.
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Post some pictures of the event

For a few years our family use to fish Lake Mary with a group of people from North Mankato,Seemed like lots of big fish of every spices in that lake.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deafirishman » 08 24, 2016 •  [Post 6]

My family and I camped on Lake Mary back in June. Didn't get a chance to fish it but there was plenty of activity on the lake. Looking to go back next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron